Poll- Do you wear a helmet?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by genesisscubakid, Jun 26, 2008.

1. coneofsilence

coneofsilence Member

I always wear a helmet. I have an issue with trusting car drivers. And also i never know when i will do something that is out of my skill level. Like trying to find the fastest way down the mountain side.

2. cncomm

cncomm New Member

I always wear it.
    I feel cycling helmets are pretty mickey mouse for serious head protection.
    If the accident happened, because no helmet protect your head, I think you'll regret very much!

i like my new cycling jerseys so much,it is very awesome,today i received it ,i am so happy,Radio shack cycling jersey,i bought it from china , only $55.the quality is same as original,wow:D......if anyone would like buy ,we can contact each other ,then we buy together,the boss said if we can order more,more discount,lol
    www .icejerseyshop. com is the website.
    suggest everyone can go to have to look at.

3. ItsikH

ItsikH New Member

As the Marathon Man was asked "Is it safe?" and the answer was, and still is "Its not safe". Its not safe to ride a bicycle, with or without a helmet. The helmet dramatically reduces the risk of severe head injury in low impact accidents - therefore if you have a magic helmet which unbuckles at high impact accidents, go ahead and wear it... unfortunately there is no such helmet.

• A helmet is the only passive safety measure available to us.
    • Its effective only in low impact accidents.
    My conclusion is to wear it at all times yet not rely on it and use any other active measure possible - wear visible clothes, watch traffic from all directions, stay far right as possible etc.

4. nutmeg trekker

nutmeg trekker New Member

I don't wear a helmet when I'm walking the bike out of the house or puting it on the car. Every other time I do, as should everyone who values his or her quality of life.
    I had a crash three years ago and wound up with some serious scrapes, road rash, and a stiff neck. It wasn't until two or three days later that I realized that my helmet had a flat spot on one side--it came from the point at which my head must have hit the pavement. My stiff neck was barely noticeable, but my head would have been in far worse shape if I ended up with a "flat spot" there. The point is obvious-this wasn't a serious wreck, but, even so, my head was spared an injury which the helmet absorbed--and I didn't even realize it for a few days. Does anyone have a good reason not to wear one????:confused:

5. serra

serra New Member

I wear a helmet, even though I haven't had a horrible crash. I flipped once, but managed to catch myself with my hands before I wacked my head. Of course that was the one day I left my gloves at home :( So now I always wear both. :p

6. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

In a serious accident no helmet, no matter the discipline, will save you, but it will prevent a non serious accident from becoming a serious one.

i like my new cycling jerseys so much,it is very awesome,today i received it ,i am so happy,Radio shack cycling jersey,i bought it from china , only $55.the quality is same as original,
    [/QUOTE]

I don't even want to comment on this!!!

7. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I always were a helmet when cycling.

I've read the comments of naysayers here and elsewhere who claim that helmets provide no protection.

I'll take my chances wearing one.

8. serra

serra New Member

That's an awful risk...you sure you can handle the consequences of having a better chance of survival or escaping injury in the event of an accident?;)

9. Camilo

Camilo New Member

I think you're choosing to misunderstand what most critics of helmets are saying, or at least what I say....

I don't think many (if any) of the so-called "naysayers" say they provide no protection. They might be saying they provide less protection than most people think.

I think they also might be saying that even if helmets provide protection in some situations (this is how I feel - and I wear a helmet almost all the time), the reality is that cycling is not a very dangerous activity and there are a lot of other situations that cause head injuries where helmet use is unheard of. (standing in a bathtub, walking on icy sidewalks, driving a car, etc.).

Reasonable people can look at the risk of riding a bike (very, very small) and decide they don't want to wear a helmet. This is a perfectly mature and reasonable decision.

I wear one because I have no reason not to, and if I do fall down, it might prevent road rash if not more, if I hit my head. Several big IF's there: IF I fall down (haven't in over 30 years). IF I hit my head (the only time I've every smacked my head is slipping on ice!). IF the impact is low enough to be actually mitigated by a helmet.

What do you say to this:

Nobody I know or even know of personally, has ever died or had a head injury from a bicycle crash without a helmet.

The only person I know personally who died from a bike crash was wearing a helmet, and just fell over (no motor vehicle or stationary object struck).

10. gman0482

gman0482 Member

OK, what do YOU say to this ??? The higher #/% is NO helmet btw.

Bicycle Deaths by Helmet Use
    1994-2006

Year No Helmet HelmetTotal*
    1994 776 (97%) 19 (2%) 796
    1995 783 (95%) 34 (4%) 828
    1996 731 (96%) 27 (4%) 761
    1997 785 (97%) 23 (3%) 811
    1998 741 (98%) 16 (2%) 757
    1999 698 (93%) 42 (6%) 750
    2000 622 (90%) 50 (7%) 689
    2001 616 (84%) 60 (8%) 729
    2002 589 (89%) 54 (8%) 663
    2003 535 (85%) 58 (9%) 626
    2004 602 (83%) 87 (12%) 722
    2005 676 (86%) 77 (10%) 784
    2006 730 (95%) 37 (5%) 770

11. serra

serra New Member

Could you site this please? I'm "pro-helmet", but I would like my reasons to be based on fact. :)

12. gman0482

gman0482 Member

Sure, it's from BHSI (Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute) and NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration).

Is that valid enough for ya ??? :)

13. Resistorlead

Resistorlead New Member

It's such an ingrained habit, like wearing a seatbelt in the car, that I'd feel naked without one. As you get older and things get brittle and stiff, the idea of crashing is bad enough- even a minor crash would likely break something, so every bit of protection is welcome. When I was a kid growing up in the mountains of Vermont, I'd take descents at 50+ mph, no helmet, sometimes in the middle of the night with no lights. Sometimes after drinking. I like to think I've gotten at least marginally smarter over the years, but the jury is still out on that one.

CH :cool:

14. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

No I don't wear one - because my thick head is harder than any substance on the planet. :p

15. johnmarshel

johnmarshel New Member

Yes,you wear a helmet it's safe driving for all,and you also safe when you wear a helmet,it's protect when you face accident this will save your life,I think wear a helmet is good for all and also tell your family members and friend to wear a helmet.

16. serra

serra New Member

I suppose I'll take your word on that, I don't feel like googling.

17. LB CYCLIST

LB CYCLIST New Member

i wear a helmet every time i ride along with a pair of gloves,the way people drive now days texting or in a rush,i feel alot safer with a helmet on.

18. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

With the way people drive now days, I don't feel safe unless I'm wearing full body armor in addition to a helmet and gloves.

19. serra

serra New Member

Maybe a couple thousand pounds of steel and airbags. Oh wait...that's no good...

20. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

I've known guys who died while wearing helmets, most died from major internal injuries and not brain injuries, one died when the car ran him over including his head, no helmet would have protected him from that.