poll for Bay Area cyclist: Double or Triple?

red_cdale

Jan 10, 2005
Just purchased a new set of frame but can't decided whether to install 50/34 compact crank or 53/39/26 triple group? I live in SF and ride lots across the bridge...I'm running a 53/39 with a XTR derailleur and 12/34 cassette in the back on my current ride. I wanna try a new set up, such as, 50/34 mated with 12/25 cassette.

I live in Marin and ride Mt. Tam and West Marin all the time (I assume you're talking about the SF Bay Area). Plenty of hilly stuff. I wrestled over this same decision for a while when I was looking at new bikes. My last bike -- the San Marino in my sig -- is a 52/42/30 triple with a 11-23 cassette. I knew I'd be going with a double for the new bike, but the question was, compact or not? My new bike came standard with a 53/39 and a 12-25 cassette. I figured I'd give it a shot first, before spending the money to swap out parts. Am I glad I did. I am so happy with the standard double setup.

I'd think a triple with a 26 tooth granny is overkill for a road bike, especially if you plan on running something like a 12-25. However, keep in mind that there is a very large difference between your current easiest gear - the 39/34, and the easiest gear on the compact setup - the 34/25. That's about a 15% change. Are you ready for that?

Try this: Do one or more of your regular rides, but don't use anything easier than your 39/30 or better yet, no easier than your 39/26. If you feel you can complete the rides no problem, you're probably ready for the switch.

Good question! And a good answer from friedmikey!
It depends on your regular rides, the hills you face, and how good a climber you are. I'm a fat old guy in Pacifica with a bad knee and face steep hills to get out of town. I ride a Klein hardtail mtb. with skinny tires and a 12-25 rear cluster. I very rarely have it in granny gear but I do appreciate the wide ratio spread.

Also, unless you plan on running a 11-23 or smaller cassette with the triple, you will have an easiest gear that is at least 10% easier than your current 39/34. Do you need that?

friedmikey said:
I live in Marin and ride Mt. Tam and West Marin all the time (I assume you're talking about the SF Bay Area). Plenty of hilly stuff. I wrestled over this same decision for a while when I was looking at new bikes. My last bike -- the San Marino in my sig -- is a 52/42/30 triple with a 11-23 cassette. I knew I'd be going with a double for the new bike, but the question was, compact or not? My new bike came standard with a 53/39 and a 12-25 cassette. I figured I'd give it a shot first, before spending the money to swap out parts. Am I glad I did. I am so happy with the standard double setup.

I'd think a triple with a 26 tooth granny is overkill for a road bike, especially if you plan on running something like a 12-25. However, keep in mind that there is a very large difference between your current easiest gear - the 39/34, and the easiest gear on the compact setup - the 34/25. That's about a 15% change. Are you ready for that?

Try this: Do one or more of your regular rides, but don't use anything easier than your 39/30 or better yet, no easier than your 39/26. If you feel you can complete the rides no problem, you're probably ready for the switch.
I'll try to do that on the weekend. Thanks for the useful thoughts....Also, what compact crank is best out there right now?

I also live here in the Bay Area and tackle hills all the time. In my opinion, a combo of 50/34 X 12/27 is the best setup. Assuming you have been riding and state of fitness is above average. Good luck!