Poll: Hating America

Originally posted by zapper
Limerickman, I honestly thought you had forgotten about me and had just concentrated on slinging hooey at BABBAR...I'm touched!

As stated in previous posts... This one is topic is getting closer to the glue factory if it is not already there. Secondly, I grow tired of having to supply you with factual information when all you can supply is hearsay, rhetoric and tabloid fodder.

I can't tell you what countries... that is classified. But suffice it to say, I've given you a peek at my credentials all you can say is that you are a concerned citizen who watches a lot of news... ooohh, I'm impressed. How did you mount that tele on you bike??

This whole Dan Rather thing is old and boring.. He's just a tired old man who no one watches anymore trying to get some air time...

I take offense to the term "blowing your hole" that appears to be an attempt at name calling of which I clearly do not condone or engage in...Shame on you Limerickman, seems that you are getting a little testy...tisk, tisk tisk....

Help of any kind is welcome. I will say this. I do appologize if my words gave the appearance that there were not other sacrifices from other countries.

Anyway, I certainly didn't mean to get you all worked up there Limerickman. Truth hurts doesn't it...

To confirm something - blowing your hole isn't a derogatory expression where I come from - it is an expression used to describe someone who boasts or inflates an issue.
No offence was intended on my part.

The truth ?
Well to coin a phrase, no one has a monopoly on the truth.
Either way - we could go on having this discourse for ever but your views are set and indeed my views are set, on this particular
subject.
I respect your view - although I disagree with it.

I think we should leave it at that as regards this topic because no one is going to convert the other side.

Originally posted by Babbar
I said I didn't think you could provide facts and evidence and you have just proven me right. You have also proven to be the perfect exampe of a troll.

You continue to let yourself down - old man.

Even commentators on the rightwing of American politics now describe how Hussein's regime (supported financially and militarily by the USA) was thoroughly evil.
Here's a taster from that well know LIBERAL Christopher Hitchens.

Saddam by Christopher Hitchens

HE had all his visitors body-searched and all his food tasted in advance. He was obsessed with hygiene and stray infections.

He wore a different uniform every day and built himself a vulgar palace in every city of his miserable country. Nice, then, to see him found like a rat in a hole, covered with grime, sprouting a dirty grey mane, and being shaven and combed for lice.

"He was in our minds at all times - and that was power, of a kind." These words, from Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man, convey a faint sense of the symbolic and practical importance of the fact that, today, we enter the post-Saddam epoch.

Try to imagine seeing his face on your front page every day for three decades, and hearing that voice and seeing that face every time you turned on the radio or TV.

Try to imagine being unable to escape from it when you went to the opera, the cinema, the theatre, or the football. For millions of Iraqis under 35, this indoctrination started at infant school, where lesson one was that Big Daddy was supreme, and could do what he liked to your or your family.

Kanan Makiya's brilliant profile of Ba'ath Party rule, The Republic of Fear, had a title that was, if anything, understated. In Baghdad in the old days, I knew people who said you could smell the fear. Others said no, you could taste it. The one who came closest said you could actually eat it.

Just the mention of the name was enough to bring a look into the eyes of almost any Iraqi: the look of a broken dog that is once again shown the whip. This is why I can't stand those who refer with a sneer to the courageous Iraqi opposition as "exiles".

THE risk of uttering the mildest criticism of Saddam entailed savage torture followed by brutal execution, with the same being visited upon your family.

Those thousands who fled Iraq had no guarantee they would not be followed by assassins and murdered overseas. Many were.

Those who remained were used as cannon fodder in crazy and destructive wars, or shovelled into mass graves.

So here is a moment to salute those who refused and resisted. Early reports of the tyrant's capture indicate Kurdish intelligence forces played a leading role in tracking Saddam down. I hope this is true, because there is natural justice as well as legal justice to be considered.

The 4th Infantry Division, and their commander, General Ray Odierno, also deserve credit for taking the monster alive.

I was in Mosul the day before Uday and Qusay died. I felt the courts had been cheated. I was sure Saddam would be found fairly soon, and I wanted everyone to get a long look at him, as they have been able to with Slobodan Milosevic. Only last week the Iraqi governing council announced the setting-up of a system to try the war criminals and torturers of the old regime, and nothing will mark the transition more vividly than the sort of trial Saddam's numberless victims never received.

His arrest also shows how empty and unstable his otherwise terrifying regime always was. He must have known that the search would concentrate on and around Tikrit, his hometown. But he went there anyway, and hid in his hole. He knew he wouldn't be able to hide anywhere else. You hear a lot about his 'Sunni' support, but the Tikriti clan is a minority of the Sunni minority.

When he was bagged, Saddam was found with a huge pile of cash in US dollars. Only this month was the coalition able to print a new Iraqi dinar note, without his face on it.

ONE of the worst recent attacks on coalition forces, in the city of Samarra, was made on a convoy bringing that new currency to the local banks and shopkeepers.

The desperation of the so-called "resistance" is evident from such tactics. It might not be wise to assume, though, that such elements will necessarily be discouraged by the capture of their former boss.

Throwing off all secular disguise, they have adopted the rhetoric and method of jihad and this will be their selling point for some time.

However, they have lost their rallying point. And a number of Iraqis who have been hesitant and fearful until now can be expected to straighten up and look people in the eye.

In Baghdad and Basra in the summer, I met several people who could not be convinced Saddam wasn't coming back. It was the same in Ceausescu's Romania, where it took a while before citizens would believe the local Dracula was really dead. A diet of fear is bad for the system and has pernicious long-term effects.

An Iraqi religious leader allowed to see Saddam after his capture found the tyrant defiant and unrepentant. Those cheering his fall were "mobs" and those who were found in mass graves were "thieves".

I can't wait to see him repeat this in the dock. Meanwhile, the whole enterprise of re-making Iraq is greatly clarified by the certain knowledge that there's no going back.

Christopher Hitchens is a columnist for Vanity Fair

Originally posted by limerickman
To confirm something - blowing your hole isn't a derogatory expression where I come from - it is an expression used to describe someone who boasts or inflates an issue.
No offence was intended on my part.

The truth ?
Well to coin a phrase, no one has a monopoly on the truth.
Either way - we could go on having this discourse for ever but your views are set and indeed my views are set, on this particular
subject.
I respect your view - although I disagree with it.

I think we should leave it at that as regards this topic because no one is going to convert the other side.

Once again we agree on something (this is killing me!)...I concur, expressing our differences on this topic has become a waste of bandwidth...So, as the old cliché goes...We agree to disagree.

Originally posted by Babbar
Not quite. "the childern," who figure prominently in so much leftist propaganda....

And well they should be thankful. Were it not for American military might and resolve to fight tyranny, the world would need not have worried about the communists....

I doubt that you even know what a communist is, im guessing that you are referring to the USSR here. Just because they claim to be communist (they never where) and the US government use the term communist doesnt make it so. The USSR was a dictatership that used the populist (at the time) term "Communism" to get sympathy and support from the oppressed class of Russia. I agree having these people in charge would not be good. The US did a good job in balancing the equation here. Kind of like 2 school yard bullies going at each other.
Its the Zenaphobic view that the American system is "The Best" that gets me heated.

Originally posted by Fixey
Its the Zenaphobic view that the American system is "The Best" that gets me heated.
Fixey, I can see your point. But....I think what we are trying to convey is this..Most Americans (in my opinion) are not looking for applause nor do WE think that we are better than everyone else. (There is another country that has that one covered already...)

We recognize that we are not perfect and that we make mistakes both domestically and abroad. However, the sticking point with most (at least with me) is there are people/countries out there that either stab us in the back while holding their palms out for a handout, criticize how we provide our services and hide behind our protective shield while doing any or all of this...

Plus, giving Limerickman the benefit of the doubt, depending on what media outlet you are tuned into you get a one sided story as well as what babbar stated about leftest propoganda!

Example: Same story two different headlines:

#1. Coalition troops target mosque.

#2. Insurgents using mosque as a shield, fire on coalition troops knowing that if they fire back, they will be branded murderers...

I'm sorry to interject here cause I don't want to start another round. I just saw your quoted comment above and caught my eye. I'm sure Limerickman has a comment and it won't be aligned with mine..:D

BTW...Fixey, I didn't catch where you are from? You seem to have vast knowledge of communism...

Fixey, I can see your point. But....I think what we are trying to convey is this..Most Americans (in my opinion) are not looking for applause nor do WE think that we are better than everyone else. (There is another country that has that one covered already...)

We recognize that we are not perfect and that we make mistakes both domestically and abroad. However, the sticking point with most (at least with me) is there are people/countries out there that either stab us in the back while holding their palms out for a handout, criticize how we provide our services and hide behind our protective shield while doing any or all of this...

Plus, giving Limerickman the benefit of the doubt, depending on what media outlet you are tuned into you get a one sided story as well as what babbar stated about leftest propoganda!

Example: Same story two different headlines:

#1. Coalition troops target mosque.

#2. Insurgents using mosque as a shield, fire on coalition troops knowing that if they fire back, they will be branded murderers...

I'm sorry to interject here cause I don't want to start another round. I just saw your quoted comment above and caught my eye. I'm sure Limerickman has a comment and it won't be aligned with mine..:D

BTW...Fixey, I didn't catch where you are from? You seem to have vast knowledge of communism...

I think that it is reasonable to say that there are stories put out by the media which are not objective.
However, I believe that media organizations like the BBC are, for the most part, impartial.
The BBC has long been regarded as the international benchmark as regards integrity of reporting, objective analysis etc.
Journalists such as John Simpson, Charles Wheeler, Alistair Cooke, John Humphries,
Mark Tully : are all regarded, within the extended media industry, as being the best in their field.
Other journalists such as Sam Kiely, Ragi Omar are following in their predecessors footsteps.
(I work in the media industry here in Europe and I know how highly the BBC is regarded worldwide, in our business).

Unfortunately, news reporting throughout the USA is not at the same standard as the BBC.
The US media operates to a different ethos compared to that of the BBC.
Commercial ratings, increasing advertising revenues, all influence how US media companies operate.
The BBC, because it is funded by the licence fee payer, is not beholden to the same commercial pressures as it’s American counterparts.
For this reason alone, the BBC enjoys a distinct advantage of independence.

Factor in also the fact that the BBC has been in business for the past 70 years.
The BBC has built up and developed contacts throughout it extensive world wide network of news stations.
The BBC had bureau offices throughout Europe, Middle East, Far East and the Americas long before other news media groups.
The BBC’s ability to gather information through these long standing and extensive contacts is the envy of most other media organizations.

It is worthwhile considering some other points here.
If you recall the USA forces in Iraq used what was euphemistically called “Embedded Reporters”.
Embedded reporters were those reporters who were allowed more access to the military
forces in Iraq, in return for compromising some essential reporting principles.
Through being embedded with the military, reports of what was actually happening in Iraq were compromised.
Large sections of the US were embedded with the US forces.

The first casualty in any conflict is the truth.
No media reports are 100% truth – they can’t be, because facts are assesses based upon perceptions.
All we can simply hope for is that what we see, read and hear in our media is essentially truthful.

I think that it is reasonable to say that there are stories put out by the media which are not objective.
However, I believe that media organizations like the BBC are, for the most part, impartial.
The BBC has long been regarded as the international benchmark as regards integrity of reporting, objective analysis etc.
Journalists such as John Simpson, Charles Wheeler, Alistair Cooke, John Humphries,
Mark Tully : are all regarded, within the extended media industry, as being the best in their field.
Other journalists such as Sam Kiely, Ragi Omar are following in their predecessors footsteps.
(I work in the media industry here in Europe and I know how highly the BBC is regarded worldwide, in our business).

Unfortunately, news reporting throughout the USA is not at the same standard as the BBC.
The US media operates to a different ethos compared to that of the BBC.
Commercial ratings, increasing advertising revenues, all influence how US media companies operate.
The BBC, because it is funded by the licence fee payer, is not beholden to the same commercial pressures as it’s American counterparts.
For this reason alone, the BBC enjoys a distinct advantage of independence.

Factor in also the fact that the BBC has been in business for the past 70 years.
The BBC has built up and developed contacts throughout it extensive world wide network of news stations.
The BBC had bureau offices throughout Europe, Middle East, Far East and the Americas long before other news media groups.
The BBC’s ability to gather information through these long standing and extensive contacts is the envy of most other media organizations.

It is worthwhile considering some other points here.
If you recall the USA forces in Iraq used what was euphemistically called “Embedded Reporters”.
Embedded reporters were those reporters who were allowed more access to the military
forces in Iraq, in return for compromising some essential reporting principles.
Through being embedded with the military, reports of what was actually happening in Iraq were compromised.
Large sections of the US were embedded with the US forces.

The first casualty in any conflict is the truth.
No media reports are 100% truth – they can’t be, because facts are assesses based upon perceptions.
All we can simply hope for is that what we see, read and hear in our media is essentially truthful.

Ahhh Limerickman my old chum...Now I finally get it...You push the BBC, you defend the liberal media and you have an endless supply of balloon juice at your disposal...The truth is out..You are not a CIA operative at all...You work in the "media" industry..Now I know where you are coming from and so does everyone else...Your cover is blown and now your reputation has been given a deadly blow...

I knew you would slip sooner or later...

And here I thought you were just a concerned citizen with a blackbery, satelite and a plasma tv mounted to your bike...

Have a nice trip...hope you don't fall....(priceless!)

My God...There is no sanctuary anywhere. Don't most of us ride to get away from **** like this, I know I do. Come on folks lets get back to talking about stuff we all have knowledge about.

Originally posted by jaguar75
My God...There is no sanctuary anywhere. Don't most of us ride to get away from **** like this, I know I do. Come on folks lets get back to talking about stuff we all have knowledge about.

Hey junior,

You had to click to come here...I suggest you pilot your mouse to another topic. I'm sorry you were offended... Adults only....:D

Ahhh Limerickman my old chum...Now I finally get it...You push the BBC, you defend the liberal media and you have an endless supply of balloon juice at your disposal...The truth is out..You are not a CIA operative at all...You work in the "media" industry..Now I know where you are coming from and so does everyone else...Your cover is blown and now your reputation has been given a deadly blow...

I knew you would slip sooner or later...

And here I thought you were just a concerned citizen with a blackbery, satelite and a plasma tv mounted to your bike...

Have a nice trip...hope you don't fall....(priceless!)

I never claimed to be a CIA-Operative !

You're in closer proximity to the CIA (Virginia and all that) than I am !

You're getting away from the issue here, Zapper.
Are you impuning the integrity of John Simpson or John Humphries ? (do you even know who they are ??).
Are you claiming that the BBC is biased ?
On what basis do you impugn the reputation of their journalists ?
And what do you define liberal as being ?

The BBC is impartial and is recognised as being so, worldwide.

I don't work - nor have I ever worked for the BBC : my opinion is based upon what I've seen on the BBC and which has been largely corroborated by other news agencies such as LeMonde.

So come on - let's have some answers (that's of course if you can give us an answer !!!)

I never claimed to be a CIA-Operative !

You're in closer proximity to the CIA (Virginia and all that) than I am !

You're getting away from the issue here, Zapper.
Are you impuning the integrity of John Simpson or John Humphries ? (do you even know who they are ??).
Are you claiming that the BBC is biased ?
On what basis do you impugn the reputation of their journalists ?
And what do you define liberal as being ?

The BBC is impartial and is recognised as being so, worldwide.

I don't work - nor have I ever worked for the BBC : my opinion is based upon what I've seen on the BBC and which has been largely corroborated by other news agencies such as LeMonde.

So come on - let's have some answers (that's of course if you can give us an answer !!!)

Limerickman,

"There you go again" what issue?...it was buried about 10 Limerickman posts ago... mired down in a quagmire of hooey and recycled media dribble.

You are in denial...You keep saying you don't work for the CIA.. Like Saucey, I find that line hilarious..thanks for the laugh my friend.

Answers...funny you should ask...You haven't provided one yet to the plethora of questions I've directed your way nor have you addressed Babbar's questions with an original factual answer. You are the king of redirect..Like I said, you should come over here and run as Kerry's running mate.

Once again, your OPINION the BBC blah blah blah...I never said that the BBC is junk, just it is not "THE" source for the truth that you claim it is... Media is media. You should know that since you work for the media now that the CIA let you go...:D

Thanks for making my day though...You should go on the road with that act....

P.S.

This poll originally asked.

1. what country are you from (that's what bioguy meant)
2. do you hate america
3. did we deserve 9/11

Let's get back to it...

P.S.

This poll originally asked.

1. what country are you from (that's what bioguy meant)
2. do you hate america
3. did we deserve 9/11

Let's get back to it...

No 1 : Ireland
No 2 : No
No 3 : ?

Zapper, I am from New Zealand. Which may give me a bias against the US I guess, no one over here was very impressed with the US handling of our Anti-Nuclear policy but thats another story. My knowledge of communism is not vast. What I have learnt I have learnt from studying and reading. I do, however, no enough about the subject to say that no country has ever been communist in recent history. For instance in Communism there is no government, kind of blows away the recent countries claiming to be communist. Some total miths...
1) communism means control of the people (ie the USSR)
2) controled media...that is actually a capatalist thing...

there are many more, but this thread isnt about that. But the US labaling of Communism is another thing that gets me going. (BTW I am smart enough to know that both Communism and capitalism are both idealistic theories that can never work due to the major influence of human greed)

Originally posted by Fixey
Zapper, I am from New Zealand. Which may give me a bias against the US I guess, no one over here was very impressed with the US handling of our Anti-Nuclear policy but thats another story. My knowledge of communism is not vast. What I have learnt I have learnt from studying and reading. I do, however, no enough about the subject to say that no country has ever been communist in recent history. For instance in Communism there is no government, kind of blows away the recent countries claiming to be communist. Some total miths...
1) communism means control of the people (ie the USSR)
2) controled media...that is actually a capatalist thing...

there are many more, but this thread isnt about that. But the US labaling of Communism is another thing that gets me going. (BTW I am smart enough to know that both Communism and capitalism are both idealistic theories that can never work due to the major influence of human greed)

Fixey,

New Zealand ok...Nice to meet ya.

BTW, I am not an expert on the topic but there are portions of your anti-nuk policy that frankly I don't agree with..But, that is none of my business, thats your debacle and it doesn't effect how I feel about a country, particularly yours.

However, thank you for bringing that up as I was not keenly aware that it was that big of an issue...

I'll be honest, I don't know much about communism, don't want to..not worth my time. I do however recall that there was or may still be a communist party in your country..I think it started around the 1920's?? Are you basing your expertise on this subject from their manefesto's?

I can indentify with your "opinions" but they are based on what you have "read"... I'm not a big fan of the printed word being used solely as a foundation for my opinions...One must take everything into context...

Lastly, like I said, I'm not an expert on the topic of communism but I bet if you look hard enough (I doubt it would take you very long) you will find other countries slinging the "communist" label at other countries. Do you feel the same about them?

Anyway, thanks for your honest comments but if I understand you correctly in addition to everything else the U.S. is accused of now we are not liked for labeling or improperly labeling a country???

Under certain cercumstances, I could understand bombing, sending troops, taking over governments eieiO... But a label?

Well, again, thanks fixey, I think you added some valuable incite here...

Fixey,

New Zealand ok...Nice to meet ya.

BTW, I am not an expert on the topic but there are portions of your anti-nuk policy that frankly I don't agree with..But, that is none of my business, thats your debacle and it doesn't effect how I feel about a country, particularly yours.

However, thank you for bringing that up as I was not keenly aware that it was that big of an issue...

I'll be honest, I don't know much about communism, don't want to..not worth my time. I do however recall that there was or may still be a communist party in your country..I think it started around the 1920's?? Are you basing your expertise on this subject from their manefesto's?

I can indentify with your "opinions" but they are based on what you have "read"... I'm not a big fan of the printed word being used solely as a foundation for my opinions...One must take everything into context...

Lastly, like I said, I'm not an expert on the topic of communism but I bet if you look hard enough (I doubt it would take you very long) you will find other countries slinging the "communist" label at other countries. Do you feel the same about them?

Anyway, thanks for your honest comments but if I understand you correctly in addition to everything else the U.S. is accused of now we are not liked for labeling or improperly labeling a country???

Under certain cercumstances, I could understand bombing, sending troops, taking over governments eieiO... But a label?

Well, again, thanks fixey, I think you added some valuable incite here...

Sorry, sorry but I need to get some responses here, Zapper.
You express some thoughts about Fixeys - to use your venacular - "opinions".

Can I ask you - what informs your view of an issue ?
Do you read ?
Do you watch television ?
If so, does reading and television (radio) inform your view about any issue and to form an opinion ?

I cannot see how anyone can hope to form an opinion without gaining some knowledge about an issue.
Information gleaned from reading, television and radio helps to
one to form an opinion.
Personal experience also helps one to derive an opinion.

You've had a go at everyone here for having an "opinion".
Perhaps you would like to tell us how you derive an opinion ?

Sorry, sorry but I need to get some responses here, Zapper.
You express some thoughts about Fixeys - to use your venacular - "opinions".

Can I ask you - what informs your view of an issue ?
Do you read ?
Do you watch television ?
If so, does reading and television (radio) inform your view about any issue and to form an opinion ?

I cannot see how anyone can hope to form an opinion without gaining some knowledge about an issue.
Information gleaned from reading, television and radio helps to
one to form an opinion.
Personal experience also helps one to derive an opinion.

You've had a go at everyone here for having an "opinion".
Perhaps you would like to tell us how you derive an opinion ?

Limerickman,

First of all, your questions are fair and here is my answer.

I do read although, that may surprised you..hehe

Perhaps, if you would have taken the time to read this..." I can indentify with your "opinions" but they are based on what you have "read"... I'm not a big fan of the printed word being used solely as a foundation for my opinions...One must take everything into context." Maybe I should have put the words " SOLEY AS A FOUNDATION" in courier new 88pt perhaps you may have seen it. Of course I know it is difficult to read with "Night Vision Goggles" on... 007.

If you did read that and still have questions, then we will never see "eye-to-eye" old chap...

I care not to comment with certainty an opinion unless I either am witness to the matter or know someone reliable that witnessed it. That in conjuction of what I have filtered from TV, WEB, newspaper and other sources I may form my opinion.

My point??? You won't find me spouting an opinion SOLEY based on what I've read or heard from the media.

My opinion on knowledge is....KNOWLEDGE IS NOT EXCLUSIVLEY OBTAINED FROM THE PRINTED PAGE or from THE MEDIA! I believe experience is the best teacher!!

Now, being an undercover CIA agent working for the BBC, you may just have to rely on your script....:)

Limerickman, I understand your question but I think Fixey is a big boy and I thought I was being cordial...Didn't mean to bring in the Press.....:D

Hey limerickman,

An example of how the media can be wrong...I wonder what network ran this picture that had been doctored...I'm not saying the BBC now so don't get your bowels in an uproar but if the shoe fits....

It probably depicts how you think we feel huh?...Fair assumption???

Limerickman,

First of all, your questions are fair and here is my answer.

I do read although, that may surprised you..hehe

Perhaps, if you would have taken the time to read this..." I can indentify with your "opinions" but they are based on what you have "read"... I'm not a big fan of the printed word being used solely as a foundation for my opinions...One must take everything into context." Maybe I should have put the words " SOLEY AS A FOUNDATION" in courier new 88pt perhaps you may have seen it. Of course I know it is difficult to read with "Night Vision Goggles" on... 007.

If you did read that and still have questions, then we will never see "eye-to-eye" old chap...

I care not to comment with certainty an opinion unless I either am witness to the matter or know someone reliable that witnessed it. That in conjuction of what I have filtered from TV, WEB, newspaper and other sources I may form my opinion.

My point??? You won't find me spouting an opinion SOLEY based on what I've read or heard from the media.

My opinion on knowledge is....KNOWLEDGE IS NOT EXCLUSIVLEY OBTAINED FROM THE PRINTED PAGE or from THE MEDIA! I believe experience is the best teacher!!

Now, being an undercover CIA agent working for the BBC, you may just have to rely on your script....:)

Limerickman, I understand your question but I think Fixey is a big boy and I thought I was being cordial...Didn't mean to bring in the Press.....:D

That's a fair answer - Zapper.

I am glad that you agree that a part of peoples opinions, can and are, formed by the media and it's influence (be that influence good or bad).

I'll never be able to climb Mount Everest for example - but by reading Reinhold Meissners book, I can at least form an opinion that climbing Everest is hard - the Third Step has caused most fatalities etc.
So having never climbed Mt Everest, I can be happy that my opinion, based on that book, is reasonably correct.

The conclusion which an writer puts to any essay, article, book
is obviously biased to a certain degree.
The thoughts/conclusions are based on that persons perception.

And this indeed is why people outside of the USA may differ with those living in the USA, when it comes to perceiving kust what the USA is about.

Final point, I am glad that everyone is being cordial on this and other topics !