Poll on NBC Yes or No

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Joshua Goldberg, Feb 15, 2003.

  1. NBC = No Bent Content 2B (added) to the Subject Line of any Post that has Nothing to do whatsoever
    with Recumbents.

    -Every so often someone does mention they have decided to exit the NG because the posts have gone
    totally off topic and they do not wish to weed through looking for Bent Content. Considering some do
    NOT have DSL connections, it would be a drag having to hit post after post looking for some message
    about bents. The recent threads on Mag-Levs, Iraqi situation, President G.W.Bush, Acts (pending) in
    Congress etc. are interesting, but this is NOT the correct forum for these posts. OTOH as
    riders/owners of bents, we (have) opinions (about non-bent issues) and feel the need to share and in
    some convoluted reasoning...this MIGHT be the correct NG.

    SO....solution is: IF the Post has NO Bent Content, then add NBC to the end of the Subject Line.

    And if You agree to the NBC idea...say so over the weekend

    Tags:

  2. Carol Cohen

    Carol Cohen Guest

    No. OT works fine.

    C.C.

    > NBC = No Bent Content
    (added) to the Subject Line of any Post that has Nothing to do whatsoever
    > with Recumbents.
    SO....solution is: IF the Post has NO Bent Content, then add NBC to the end
    > of the Subject Line.
    >
    > And if You agree to the NBC idea...say so over the weekend

  3. "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse
    news:[email protected]...
    > NBC = No Bent Content

    Why advertise for a cable network when OT for Off-Topic has worked fine. Just to be different?

    I say No. Anyway you can't run a newsgroup like a democracy. Reread the old Netiquette threads if
    you don't believe me. Some people feel its their right to post in a nonproductive manner. That
    includes me sometimes.

    M.

  4. Larry Varney

    Larry Varney Guest

    Carol Cohen wrote:
    > No. OT works fine.
    >
    > C.C.
    >

    >>NBC = No Bent Content
    >>
    > (added) to the Subject Line of any Post that has Nothing to do whatsoever
    >
    >>with Recumbents.
    >>
    > SO....solution is: IF the Post has NO Bent Content, then add NBC to the end
    >
    >>of the Subject Line.
    >>
    >>And if You agree to the NBC idea...say so over the weekend

    Oh, I have no problem with OT, either. And I'd rather see thse things put on the beginning rather
    than the end, where they might be truncated. But if the subject lines adequately reflected the
    subject, then we would have no need for OT, NBC, or any other such labels.

    --
    Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

  5. Larry Varney

    Larry Varney Guest

    Joshua Goldberg wrote:
    > NBC = No Bent Content 2B (added) to the Subject Line of any Post that has Nothing to do whatsoever
    > with Recumbents.
    >
    > -Every so often someone does mention they have decided to exit the NG because the posts have gone
    > totally off topic and they do not wish to weed through looking for Bent Content. Considering some
    > do NOT have DSL connections, it would be a drag having to hit post after post looking for some
    > message about bents. The recent threads on Mag-Levs, Iraqi situation, President G.W.Bush, Acts
    > (pending) in Congress etc. are interesting, but this is NOT the correct forum for these posts.
    > OTOH as riders/owners of bents, we (have) opinions (about non-bent issues) and feel the need to
    > share and in some convoluted reasoning...this MIGHT be the correct NG.
    >
    > SO....solution is: IF the Post has NO Bent Content, then add NBC to the end of the Subject Line.
    >
    > And if You agree to the NBC idea...say so over the weekend

    I like posts that have subject lines that match the subjects. If they're off-topic as concerning
    recumbent bikes, fine, I don't have a problem with NBC. But I have to wonder: just how slow are
    some people's connections? I don't have DSL, and I live far enough out in the weeds that my 56k
    modem won't connect faster than 28.8 (rarely at 33.3). And it doesn't take that long to sift
    through a bunch of text messages. I vote for NBC, and also for having the subject lines agree
    with the subjects.

    --
    Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

  6. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Joshua Goldberg wrote:

    > ... -Every so often someone does mention they have decided to exit the NG because the posts have
    > gone totally off topic and they do not wish to weed through looking for Bent Content. Considering
    > some do NOT have DSL connections, it would be a drag having to hit post after post looking for
    > some message about bents. The recent threads on Mag-Levs, Iraqi situation, President G.W.Bush,
    > Acts (pending) in Congress etc. are interesting, but this is NOT the correct forum for these
    > posts. OTOH as riders/owners of bents, we (have) opinions (about non-bent issues) and feel the
    > need to share and in some convoluted reasoning...this MIGHT be the correct NG....

    Some of us do not originate these discussions, but feel compelled to reply to those who do.

  7. Ben Fox

    Ben Fox Guest

    I agree with Tom S. .I also think that anyone starting a Thread on the subject of "Politics" should
    be forced to park their bents for a period of 2 weeks and ride only upright bikes during this
    period. The punishment for the second offense would be manditory proof reading by Tom Sherman of any
    and all correspondence to this N.G. from the offending person. Tom would ,of course, approve the
    subject matter of the correspondence and make many suggestions for correction and improvement.

    Ben fox "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Joshua Goldberg wrote:
    > >
    > > ... -Every so often someone does mention they have decided to exit the NG because the posts have
    > > gone totally off topic and they do not wish to
    weed
    > > through looking for Bent Content. Considering some do NOT have DSL connections, it would be a
    > > drag having to hit post after post looking
    for
    > > some message about bents. The recent threads on Mag-Levs, Iraqi situation, President G.W.Bush,
    Acts
    > > (pending) in Congress etc. are interesting, but this is NOT the correct forum for these posts.
    > > OTOH as riders/owners of bents, we (have) opinions (about non-bent
    issues)
    > > and feel the need to share and in some convoluted reasoning...this MIGHT
    be
    > > the correct NG....
    >
    > Some of us do not originate these discussions, but feel compelled to reply to those who do.
    >
    > Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

  8. Dave Miller

    Dave Miller Guest

    On Sat, 15 Feb 2003 15:33:18 -0500, Carol Cohen <[email protected]> wrote:

    >No. OT works fine.

    DItto for me please . My tiny little mind has very little room for additional TLA's -

  9. Freewheeling

    Freewheeling Guest

    Yep, I just tried it. I can set Outlook Express to ignore an entire thread, regardless of what the
    subject line is changed to. Of course you still see that red circle with a line through it next to
    the posts, so it doesn't completely defeat the temptation to read illicit material.

    --
    --Scott [email protected] Cut the "tail" to send email.

    > NBC = No Bent Content 2B (added) to the Subject Line of any Post that has Nothing to do
    whatsoever
    > with Recumbents.
    >
    > -Every so often someone does mention they have decided to exit the NG because the posts have gone
    > totally off topic and they do not wish to weed through looking for Bent Content. Considering some
    > do NOT have DSL connections, it would be a drag having to hit post after post looking for some
    > message about bents. The recent threads on Mag-Levs, Iraqi situation, President G.W.Bush, Acts
    > (pending) in Congress etc. are interesting, but this is NOT the correct forum for these posts.
    > OTOH as riders/owners of bents, we (have) opinions (about non-bent issues) and feel the need to
    > share and in some convoluted reasoning...this MIGHT
    be
    > the correct NG.
    >
    > SO....solution is: IF the Post has NO Bent Content, then add NBC to the
    end
    > of the Subject Line.
    >
    > And if You agree to the NBC idea...say so over the weekend

  10. Freewheeling

    Freewheeling Guest

    Ben:

    Well, I just want to express the fact that I appreciate that so many people are able to express the
    fact that their expressions are expressing something other than what everyone else is expressing,
    without interfering with the self expression of others.

    (cough)

    --

    "Ben Fox" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I agree with Tom S. .I also think that anyone starting a Thread on the subject of "Politics"
    > should be forced to park their bents for a period of 2 weeks and ride only upright bikes during
    > this period. The punishment for the second offense would be manditory proof reading by Tom Sherman
    > of any and all correspondence to this N.G. from the offending person. Tom would ,of course,
    > approve the subject matter of the
    correspondence
    > and make many suggestions for correction and improvement.
    >
    > Ben fox "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > Joshua Goldberg wrote:
    > > >
    > > > ... -Every so often someone does mention they have decided to exit the NG because the posts
    > > > have gone totally off topic and they do not wish to
    > weed
    > > > through looking for Bent Content. Considering some do NOT have DSL connections, it would be a
    > > > drag having to hit post after post looking
    > for
    > > > some message about bents. The recent threads on Mag-Levs, Iraqi situation, President G.W.Bush,
    > Acts
    > > > (pending) in Congress etc. are interesting, but this is NOT the
    correct
    > > > forum for these posts. OTOH as riders/owners of bents, we (have) opinions (about non-bent
    > issues)
    > > > and feel the need to share and in some convoluted reasoning...this
    MIGHT
    > be
    > > > the correct NG....
    > >
    > > Some of us do not originate these discussions, but feel compelled to reply to those who do.
    > >
    > > Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

  11. Baronn1

    Baronn1 Guest

    Now see, this post has no bent content, and I've changed the subject line. The post is is off topic
    to the group, but not off topic to the original post. I do wonder who the disgruntled malcontent
    with the persecution complex is, whose posts indirectly spawned this NBC thread in the first place.
    Wonder is that's akin not not being able to download efficiently, or enable filters properly, and
    then complaining about things that are beyond an individual's control (content in the group), vs.
    addressing things that are in an individual's control (i.e. enabling filters, upgrading
    connectivity, etc). If I can't ride as fast as a group of riders, wouldn't immproving my speed be a
    better approach to take, than berating them for riding too fast for me?

    > NBC = No Bent Content 2B (added) to the Subject Line of any Post that has Nothing to do
    whatsoever
    > with Recumbents.
    >
    > -Every so often someone does mention they have decided to exit the NG because the posts have gone
    > totally off topic and they do not wish to weed through looking for Bent Content. Considering some
    > do NOT have DSL connections, it would be a drag having to hit post after post looking for some
    > message about bents. The recent threads on Mag-Levs, Iraqi situation, President G.W.Bush, Acts
    > (pending) in Congress etc. are interesting, but this is NOT the correct forum for these posts.
    > OTOH as riders/owners of bents, we (have) opinions (about non-bent issues) and feel the need to
    > share and in some convoluted reasoning...this MIGHT
    be
    > the correct NG.
    >
    > SO....solution is: IF the Post has NO Bent Content, then add NBC to the
    end
    > of the Subject Line.
    >
    > And if You agree to the NBC idea...say so over the weekend

  12. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    baronn1 wrote:
    > ... If I can't ride as fast as a group of riders, wouldn't immproving my speed be a better
    > approach to take, than berating them for riding too fast for me?

    If the ride in question was an organized group ride with an advertised pace, and the group was
    significantly exceeding that pace, then a complaint would be justified.

    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) Various HPV's

  13. Baronn1

    Baronn1 Guest

    Yes, given those suppositions, that is a true statement. Hey, did you ever get back to that ob/gyn,
    to fill him in on the first half of the correction your were making during your delivery?

    > baronn1 wrote:
    > > ... If I can't ride as fast as a group of riders, wouldn't immproving my
    speed
    > > be a better approach to take, than berating them for riding too fast for
    me?

    > If the ride in question was an organized group ride with an advertised pace, and the group was
    > significantly exceeding that pace, then a complaint would be justified.
    >
    > Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) Various HPV's

  14. This is a good example of why the subject line needs to be changed to fit the new subject.
    -------------------or something like that-------------------- "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]>

    > baronn1 wrote:
    > > ... If I can't ride as fast as a group of riders, wouldn't immproving my
    speed
    > > be a better approach to take, than berating them for riding too fast for
    me?

    > If the ride in question was an organized group ride with an advertised pace, and the group was
    > significantly exceeding that pace, then a complaint would be justified.
    >
    > Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) Various HPV's

  15. But if we devote 'NBC' to 'No Bent Content', what are we going to label posts on the broadcast
    company or those that deal with Nuclear / Biological / Chemical warfare?

    [NBCNBCNBC] for the subject line of a.r.b.r posts dealing with news coverage of nerve gas attacks.?

    Just wondering, Fred Klingener

    > NBC = No Bent Content 2B (added) to the Subject Line of any Post that has Nothing to do
    whatsoever
    > with Recumbents.
    >
    > -Every so often someone does mention they have decided to exit the NG because the posts have gone
    > totally off topic and they do not wish to weed through looking for Bent Content. Considering some
    > do NOT have DSL connections, it would be a drag having to hit post after post looking for some
    > message about bents. The recent threads on Mag-Levs, Iraqi situation, President G.W.Bush, Acts
    > (pending) in Congress etc. are interesting, but this is NOT the correct forum for these posts.
    > OTOH as riders/owners of bents, we (have) opinions (about non-bent issues) and feel the need to
    > share and in some convoluted reasoning...this MIGHT
    be
    > the correct NG.
    >
    > SO....solution is: IF the Post has NO Bent Content, then add NBC to the
    end
    > of the Subject Line.
    >
    > And if You agree to the NBC idea...say so over the weekend

  16. Baronn1

    Baronn1 Guest

    It's really snowing here, 6-7 inches so far, and the weather weenies are calling for 14-20
    inches byt he time the storm ends . 20" would be close to equal to the diameter of the front
    wheel on my Giro.

    > This is a good example of why the subject line needs to be changed to fit the new subject.
    > -------------------or something like that-------------------- "Tom Sherman"
    > >
    > > baronn1 wrote:
    > > > ... If I can't ride as fast as a group of riders, wouldn't immproving my
    > speed
    > > > be a better approach to take, than berating them for riding too fast
    for
    > me?
    > >
    > > If the ride in question was an organized group ride with an advertised pace, and the group was
    > > significantly exceeding that pace, then a complaint would be justified.
    > >
    > > Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) Various HPV's

  17. Daniel Payne

    Daniel Payne Guest

    Hey Scott, how am i supposed to qoute you?

    Daniel