Poll on NBC Yes or No

Joshua Goldberg

Guest
NBC = No Bent Content 2B (added) to the Subject Line of any Post that has Nothing to do whatsoever
with Recumbents.

-Every so often someone does mention they have decided to exit the NG because the posts have gone
totally off topic and they do not wish to weed through looking for Bent Content. Considering some do
NOT have DSL connections, it would be a drag having to hit post after post looking for some message
about bents. The recent threads on Mag-Levs, Iraqi situation, President G.W.Bush, Acts (pending) in
Congress etc. are interesting, but this is NOT the correct forum for these posts. OTOH as
riders/owners of bents, we (have) opinions (about non-bent issues) and feel the need to share and in
some convoluted reasoning...this MIGHT be the correct NG.

SO....solution is: IF the Post has NO Bent Content, then add NBC to the end of the Subject Line.

And if You agree to the NBC idea...say so over the weekend

No. OT works fine.

C.C.

> NBC = No Bent Content
(added) to the Subject Line of any Post that has Nothing to do whatsoever
> with Recumbents.
SO....solution is: IF the Post has NO Bent Content, then add NBC to the end
> of the Subject Line.
>
> And if You agree to the NBC idea...say so over the weekend

"Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse
news:[email protected]...
> NBC = No Bent Content

Why advertise for a cable network when OT for Off-Topic has worked fine. Just to be different?

I say No. Anyway you can't run a newsgroup like a democracy. Reread the old Netiquette threads if
you don't believe me. Some people feel its their right to post in a nonproductive manner. That
includes me sometimes.

M.

Carol Cohen wrote:
> No. OT works fine.
>
> C.C.
>

>>NBC = No Bent Content
>>
> (added) to the Subject Line of any Post that has Nothing to do whatsoever
>
>>with Recumbents.
>>
> SO....solution is: IF the Post has NO Bent Content, then add NBC to the end
>
>>of the Subject Line.
>>
>>And if You agree to the NBC idea...say so over the weekend

Oh, I have no problem with OT, either. And I'd rather see thse things put on the beginning rather
than the end, where they might be truncated. But if the subject lines adequately reflected the
subject, then we would have no need for OT, NBC, or any other such labels.

--
Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

Joshua Goldberg wrote:
> NBC = No Bent Content 2B (added) to the Subject Line of any Post that has Nothing to do whatsoever
> with Recumbents.
>
> -Every so often someone does mention they have decided to exit the NG because the posts have gone
> totally off topic and they do not wish to weed through looking for Bent Content. Considering some
> do NOT have DSL connections, it would be a drag having to hit post after post looking for some
> message about bents. The recent threads on Mag-Levs, Iraqi situation, President G.W.Bush, Acts
> (pending) in Congress etc. are interesting, but this is NOT the correct forum for these posts.
> OTOH as riders/owners of bents, we (have) opinions (about non-bent issues) and feel the need to
> share and in some convoluted reasoning...this MIGHT be the correct NG.
>
> SO....solution is: IF the Post has NO Bent Content, then add NBC to the end of the Subject Line.
>
> And if You agree to the NBC idea...say so over the weekend

I like posts that have subject lines that match the subjects. If they're off-topic as concerning
recumbent bikes, fine, I don't have a problem with NBC. But I have to wonder: just how slow are
some people's connections? I don't have DSL, and I live far enough out in the weeds that my 56k
modem won't connect faster than 28.8 (rarely at 33.3). And it doesn't take that long to sift
through a bunch of text messages. I vote for NBC, and also for having the subject lines agree
with the subjects.

--

Joshua Goldberg wrote:

> ... -Every so often someone does mention they have decided to exit the NG because the posts have
> gone totally off topic and they do not wish to weed through looking for Bent Content. Considering
> some do NOT have DSL connections, it would be a drag having to hit post after post looking for
> some message about bents. The recent threads on Mag-Levs, Iraqi situation, President G.W.Bush,
> Acts (pending) in Congress etc. are interesting, but this is NOT the correct forum for these
> posts. OTOH as riders/owners of bents, we (have) opinions (about non-bent issues) and feel the
> need to share and in some convoluted reasoning...this MIGHT be the correct NG....

Some of us do not originate these discussions, but feel compelled to reply to those who do.

I agree with Tom S. .I also think that anyone starting a Thread on the subject of "Politics" should
be forced to park their bents for a period of 2 weeks and ride only upright bikes during this
period. The punishment for the second offense would be manditory proof reading by Tom Sherman of any
and all correspondence to this N.G. from the offending person. Tom would ,of course, approve the
subject matter of the correspondence and make many suggestions for correction and improvement.

news:[email protected]...

On Sat, 15 Feb 2003 15:33:18 -0500, Carol Cohen <[email protected]> wrote:

>No. OT works fine.

DItto for me please . My tiny little mind has very little room for additional TLA's -

Yep, I just tried it. I can set Outlook Express to ignore an entire thread, regardless of what the
subject line is changed to. Of course you still see that red circle with a line through it next to
the posts, so it doesn't completely defeat the temptation to read illicit material.

--
--Scott [email protected] Cut the "tail" to send email.

> NBC = No Bent Content 2B (added) to the Subject Line of any Post that has Nothing to do
whatsoever
> with Recumbents.
>
> -Every so often someone does mention they have decided to exit the NG because the posts have gone
> totally off topic and they do not wish to weed through looking for Bent Content. Considering some
> do NOT have DSL connections, it would be a drag having to hit post after post looking for some
> message about bents. The recent threads on Mag-Levs, Iraqi situation, President G.W.Bush, Acts
> (pending) in Congress etc. are interesting, but this is NOT the correct forum for these posts.
> OTOH as riders/owners of bents, we (have) opinions (about non-bent issues) and feel the need to
> share and in some convoluted reasoning...this MIGHT
be
> the correct NG.
>
> SO....solution is: IF the Post has NO Bent Content, then add NBC to the
end
> of the Subject Line.
>
> And if You agree to the NBC idea...say so over the weekend

Ben:

Well, I just want to express the fact that I appreciate that so many people are able to express the
fact that their expressions are expressing something other than what everyone else is expressing,
without interfering with the self expression of others.

(cough)

--

"Ben Fox" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I agree with Tom S. .I also think that anyone starting a Thread on the subject of "Politics"
> should be forced to park their bents for a period of 2 weeks and ride only upright bikes during
> this period. The punishment for the second offense would be manditory proof reading by Tom Sherman
> of any and all correspondence to this N.G. from the offending person. Tom would ,of course,
> approve the subject matter of the
correspondence
> and make many suggestions for correction and improvement.
>
> Ben fox "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Joshua Goldberg wrote:
> > >
> > > ... -Every so often someone does mention they have decided to exit the NG because the posts
> > > have gone totally off topic and they do not wish to
> weed
> > > through looking for Bent Content. Considering some do NOT have DSL connections, it would be a
> > > drag having to hit post after post looking
> for
> > > some message about bents. The recent threads on Mag-Levs, Iraqi situation, President G.W.Bush,
> Acts
> > > (pending) in Congress etc. are interesting, but this is NOT the
correct
> > > forum for these posts. OTOH as riders/owners of bents, we (have) opinions (about non-bent
> issues)
> > > and feel the need to share and in some convoluted reasoning...this
MIGHT
> be
> > > the correct NG....
> >
> > Some of us do not originate these discussions, but feel compelled to reply to those who do.
> >
> > Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

Now see, this post has no bent content, and I've changed the subject line. The post is is off topic
to the group, but not off topic to the original post. I do wonder who the disgruntled malcontent
with the persecution complex is, whose posts indirectly spawned this NBC thread in the first place.
Wonder is that's akin not not being able to download efficiently, or enable filters properly, and
then complaining about things that are beyond an individual's control (content in the group), vs.
addressing things that are in an individual's control (i.e. enabling filters, upgrading
connectivity, etc). If I can't ride as fast as a group of riders, wouldn't immproving my speed be a
better approach to take, than berating them for riding too fast for me?

baronn1 wrote:
> ... If I can't ride as fast as a group of riders, wouldn't immproving my speed be a better
> approach to take, than berating them for riding too fast for me?

If the ride in question was an organized group ride with an advertised pace, and the group was
significantly exceeding that pace, then a complaint would be justified.

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) Various HPV's

Yes, given those suppositions, that is a true statement. Hey, did you ever get back to that ob/gyn,
to fill him in on the first half of the correction your were making during your delivery?

> baronn1 wrote:
> > ... If I can't ride as fast as a group of riders, wouldn't immproving my
speed
> > be a better approach to take, than berating them for riding too fast for
me?

> If the ride in question was an organized group ride with an advertised pace, and the group was
> significantly exceeding that pace, then a complaint would be justified.
>
> Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) Various HPV's

This is a good example of why the subject line needs to be changed to fit the new subject.
-------------------or something like that-------------------- "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]>

> baronn1 wrote:
> > ... If I can't ride as fast as a group of riders, wouldn't immproving my
speed
> > be a better approach to take, than berating them for riding too fast for
me?

> If the ride in question was an organized group ride with an advertised pace, and the group was
> significantly exceeding that pace, then a complaint would be justified.
>
> Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) Various HPV's

But if we devote 'NBC' to 'No Bent Content', what are we going to label posts on the broadcast
company or those that deal with Nuclear / Biological / Chemical warfare?

[NBCNBCNBC] for the subject line of a.r.b.r posts dealing with news coverage of nerve gas attacks.?

Just wondering, Fred Klingener

> NBC = No Bent Content 2B (added) to the Subject Line of any Post that has Nothing to do
whatsoever
> with Recumbents.
>
> -Every so often someone does mention they have decided to exit the NG because the posts have gone
> totally off topic and they do not wish to weed through looking for Bent Content. Considering some
> do NOT have DSL connections, it would be a drag having to hit post after post looking for some
> message about bents. The recent threads on Mag-Levs, Iraqi situation, President G.W.Bush, Acts
> (pending) in Congress etc. are interesting, but this is NOT the correct forum for these posts.
> OTOH as riders/owners of bents, we (have) opinions (about non-bent issues) and feel the need to
> share and in some convoluted reasoning...this MIGHT
be
> the correct NG.
>
> SO....solution is: IF the Post has NO Bent Content, then add NBC to the
end
> of the Subject Line.
>
> And if You agree to the NBC idea...say so over the weekend

It's really snowing here, 6-7 inches so far, and the weather weenies are calling for 14-20
inches byt he time the storm ends . 20" would be close to equal to the diameter of the front
wheel on my Giro.