Poll on pedals AND UNEXPECTED RELEASING

fabiosav

Nov 19, 2003
Forum-mates:

One of the Shimano SPD’s I ride (rode…) on my road-bike released in a sprint. Knee hits handle bar, front wheel spins over. Five broken ribs…

I scan the forum, and most people discussing pedals do mention “unexpected release”, so I’m try to figure out “which pedal type releases least” when you are pushing hard (e.g. when really pushing, and hence most dangerous). Not clipping in right in the parking lot does not count. Seems something we would all want to know…

So ANSWER TWO QUESTIONS PLEASE
1) Do you ride the SPECIFIC PEDAL design/line listed?
2) Have they ever released unexpectedly from leg force.

I can't ask all Time for example, as RXS and Impact are so different.

3 years now and never had one with my Speedplay Zeros (stainless), it's one of the strengths of this design.

If you are REALLY strong, I think there is a track version with "extra-stiff release tension".

I have Crank Bro's Quattros - I don't recall ever accidentally releasing them. As far as I can tell it is near to, if not impossible to pull straight up and out of these pedals (as you might possibly do in a sprint if you are very powerful), but twist your foot and voila out you come. I like them a lot, they are light, they feel very secure, the cleat is small and unobtrusive, but they still have a decently sized platform (I do have small feet) and are easy to clip into and out of.