POLL: should Tomilaris be replaced?

531Aussie

Well-Known Member
Apr 11, 2004
12,678
I can't stand him; he's a stiff, his knowledge of pro cycling is questionable, and he pronounces the 'sexy' Southern European names with a ****** accent.

I'd rather have an inarticulate, bumbling former cyclist than him and his hoity toity bollocks

531Aussie said:
I can't stand him; he's a stiff, his knowledge of pro cycling is questionable, and he pronounces the 'sexy' Southern European names with a ****** accent.

I'd rather have an inarticulate, bumbling former cyclist than him and his hoity toity bollocks
What about Matt Keenan, he knows bikes, bike people and a heap of bike trivia....

MT is no doubt under contract and is a strong supporter of cycling none the less. So we had better not shoot him just yet, he is still a messenger and stymied by SBS protocols and agendas......

waddayathink folks ?

rooman said:
waddayathink folks ?

Dunno. Read the subtext, someones got *issues* :p

How about Bob from The Gooch? Came across as a knowledgeable chap when I met him after Amy's Ride. :)

"531Aussie" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> I can't stand him; he's a stiff, his knowledge of pro cycling is
> questionable, and he pronounces the 'sexy' Southern European names with
> a ****** accent.
>
> I'd rather have an inarticulate, bumbling former cyclist than him and
> his hoity toity bollocks
>

> --
> 531Aussie

I was ->this<- close to asking the question if anyone else found him/his
presentation of cycling central (at this moment in time) more than mildly
annoying. I didnt know if it more just me being a ***** with an attitude
tho.

Ash.

This guy, Thunder, got me started earlier today :)

Thunder said:
"what does everyone think of Tomalaris, peronally I think he is a
prod...p1280574reg.jpg

A TOOL

He has been to 10 tours and still has not learnt the nuances and intricacies.

case in point: O'Grady has got in one more breakaway (read:yet another) and not won.The break splintered because, ofcourse, no one wished to ride a fast man to the finish. Now O'Grady whinges and whines and curses the other riders in the break when they cross the line into the marshalling area. The y exchange words. Now Tomalaris jumps in with bromides and platitudes and proves the sycophant that he is.

He asks questions to the effect of, "is that in the spirit of cycling, not chasing, not doing a pull" note, tomalaris would not use the term pull for cycling that is strictly a nocturnal leisure activity.

Instead of asking OG "did you have the legs" "why did not you make the first move" "why did not you force selection" "why did you expect them to ride you to the finish" "did you expect the break just to stay together for a group sprint"... proper journo's questions. Probing OG's tactics and his road smarts. Assessing his legs on their merit on the day, Tomalaris reduces the 2 minute piece to pandering to Ogrady and feeding his ego.

Alternate case: The only time he has made a "hard-hitting" question, is when he asked a question regarding OG's age in another interview before the tour. When OG had turned 30, did Toma expect his career to slide, has he any knowledge of the most fruitful periods of a rider like OG's career http://www.bikeforums.net/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Contradicting himself: Before the 2004 tour, he tell Mcewen he cannot win, that everyone is saying Petacchi is the best in the world and the fastest. EXCEPT, on Toyota World Sport, Tomalaris has mentioned Mcewen being the best sprinter in the world for 3 years since his stellar 2002 season.

Jingoistic best, always going on about our world domination in cycling.
Never mentions our lack of depth in the classics or GC, the categories that really matter. *Personal opinion, Robbie Mac is a legend and my favourite rider , just trying to be impartial.

Something needs to be done to unseat this fool from our July coverage. Dave Culbert is a brilliant presenter for a former athlete, and a brilliant presenter full stop. He caters to the layman, and the racer. He knows his stuff, like a racer. Plus the credibilty of being on the podium of a world athletics championship. He is my man..

rooman said:
What about Matt Keenan ?
yeah, excellent. I can't believe I didn't think of him coz I listen to the SEN show every Sunday night.

Great inteviews recently with Cooke and Evans

Maybe Mike Tomilaris needs a buddie so he can play the straight guy.

Sure he's got some presentation 'attributes', but sometimes we gotta realise that programmes like Cycling Central & the previous TDF coverages may not have got off the ground if SBS didn't have certain people putting their hand up in the right places.

Aren't most of the TDF MT in France coverage done on the fly with only 3x people(MT, sound bloke & the kid with the camera).

I say keep him until an obvious replacement, or addition, becomes or makes itself available.

(don't all SBS presenters, including on their news, go all odd-sounding when people's names pop up?)

bree-osh-boo-long-shay

Yeah, need a combo.

'Mr and Mrs Soccer' on SBS worked really well, cos they both had passion. One played, the other just had style.

Perhaps Phil Anderson for the special comments and, and... dunno for the 'straight' person. This role really requires someone who can know that sometimes more can be said by simply shutting up and letting the vision speak. One of the female cyclists perhaps? Kerrie Meares???
She was great (and rather scrummy :D) at the worlds last year.

MT is rather lame but he does have passion and has pushed the barrow on SBS for years.

As long as feckin Gabriel Gate dont make an appearance this year, there won't be violence!!!

ok, I've cooled down a bit now after 'Thunder' got me worked up over on Bike Forums.

I guess if my options are Tommo or no cycling show, then I'd obviously take Mikey, but I'm SURE we could do better

531Aussie wrote:

> I'd rather have an inarticulate, bumbling former cyclist than him and
> his hoity toity bollocks

So you're applying for his job? :)

Theo

531Aussie said:
I can't stand him; he's a stiff, his knowledge of pro cycling is questionable, and he pronounces the 'sexy' Southern European names with a ****** accent.

I'd rather have an inarticulate, bumbling former cyclist than him and his hoity toity bollocks

Most Definately! By John Saffran and Father Bob.

Theo Bekkers said:
So you're applying for his job? :)
No, I'm about as articulate as a rookie AFL player :)

"yeah nah. I come down the club and done good"

531Aussie said:
No, I'm about as articulate as a rookie AFL player :)

"yeah nah. I come down the club and done good"

You could get a job in advertising. Saw an ad on SBS last night. The text read: "1 in 5 children are obese or something-or-other (can't remember that bit)".

Second time this week I have seen broadcast text displaying difficulties in matching subject with verb. It's basic stuff (not saying my gramma is goodly).

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 17:46:34 +1100, 531Aussie
<[email protected]> wrote in
aus.bicycle:

>I can't stand him; he's a stiff, his knowledge of pro cycling is
>questionable, and he pronounces the 'sexy' Southern European names with
>a ****** accent.
>
>I'd rather have an inarticulate, bumbling former cyclist than him and
>his hoity toity bollocks

Be careful what you wish for. remember motor racing had to put up with
Darrell Eastlake for years as a commentator. He knew bugger all about
cars or bikes but there he was giving expert commentary, Barry Sheene
must have wanted to kill him.

Imagine a Darrell Eastlake clone commentating cycling - makes
Tomilaris seem ideal.

Regards
Prickles

This message only uses recycled electrons

warrwych said:
Most Definately! By John Saffran and Father Bob.

That would be a cracker. How about Roy & HG during a TdF preamble instead of Gate's frigging cookery tips?

cfsmtb said:
That would be a cracker. How about Roy & HG during a TdF preamble instead of Gate's frigging cookery tips?

Now we are getting somewhere :D

cfsmtb said:
That would be a cracker. How about Roy & HG during a TdF preamble instead of Gate's frigging cookery tips?

I would rather have my teeth pulled while watching Gate and without painkillers then put up with 1 min of those idots.

On 2006-01-10, jcjordan (aka Bruce)

> cfsmtb Wrote:
>> That would be a cracker. How about Roy & HG during a TdF preamble
>> instead of Gate's frigging cookery tips?

> I would rather have my teeth pulled while watching Gate and without
> painkillers then put up with 1 min of those idots.

He he. So true.

--
TimC
"Consider a spherical bear, in simple harmonic motion..."

531Aussie wrote:
> I can't stand him; he's a stiff, his knowledge of pro cycling is
> questionable, and he pronounces the 'sexy' Southern European names with
> a ****** accent.
>
> I'd rather have an inarticulate, bumbling former cyclist than him and
> his hoity toity bollocks

I liked MT when he presented the A League soccer back in the earl 90's.