Poll - Vet's Training

musher said:
Salut veloventoux.

Where in southern france do you live ....

I use to live in cannes:) :) ,before i mouve to the USA.I'm Basque ,i raced in Alsace-Lorraine ,Lux.,Belgique.... in the seventy's.

Ride hard,Musher
Guess? Ok I live in Bedoin right at the foot of Mt Ventoux where I manage a bicycle store (that's why during summer season I cant ride).
I also started racing in the seventies (actually 69) with B. Vallet, M. Tinazzi and the likes..

hmmm all guys so far except for the one person who seems to be confused about what sex and age they are...

M/F:_________________ female

Weekly Training Hours:__8-10

Days off per week:_____1 completely off, 2 recovery days (1 commute only, 1 commute + 30-45 min core/strength)

also of use maybe, I race and I'll be a cat 3 this year. I qualify to be a master, but masters A's women are composed mostly of some of the strongest women who are 2's or above so racing masters is just as hard as racing in the 1,2,3 field, if not harder since as of this year we will have some 3's only races. My schedule last year was a few hours less/week to be a competitive cat 4 and I did well. This year I will have to be better than I was last year just to not be off the back.

M/F:_________________ Male

Weekly Training Hours:__16 (road bike) 5 (weights) 1 - 3 (yoga) 1 (indoor bike) 1 (velodrome) sometimes other stuff

Days off per week:_____0 (zero)

M/F:_________________ male

Weekly Training Hours:__5-8 or 9

Days off per week:_____2 or 3

edd said:
Hi Mike,

No days off … is that no days off the bike ?
Hi Edd, I'm on the bike 7 days a week. I bike commute Monday to Friday (Ashfield to Chatswood), bike train (Centenial Sprinters Hill) or race (Heffron) on Saturdays, bike train (Waterfall or RNP) on Sundays, Track (Canterbury) Monday night and mag trainer or rollers (under Canterbury) on Thursday night.

Age --- 36

Male

Weekly training --- 8 hours

Days off ---2

When do you become a vet?
rolleyes.gif
- took me 5 years vet school.

mikesbytes said:
Hi Edd, I'm on the bike 7 days a week. I bike commute Monday to Friday (Ashfield to Chatswood), bike train (Centenial Sprinters Hill) or race (Heffron) on Saturdays, bike train (Waterfall or RNP) on Sundays, Track (Canterbury) Monday night and mag trainer or rollers (under Canterbury) on Thursday night.

I'm in Chatswood all the time, You've probably ridden past me. Did the three gorges on my own yesterday, slept for 3 hours and instructed a spin class at Willoughby in the afternoon.

Doesn't your legs ever feel that fatigued that you think, "I should rest them"

edd said:
I'm in Chatswood all the time, You've probably ridden past me. Did the three gorges on my own yesterday, slept for 3 hours and instructed a spin class at Willoughby in the afternoon.

Doesn't your legs ever feel that fatigued that you think, "I should rest them"
3 gorges is a pretty tuff ride, I bet that spin class hurt too. From my place its also125k, so I don't go that often as it takes up too much time.

When I was less fit I needed days to rest my legs. I can take it easy when the need it. This morning I rode to Waterfall again and took it a bit easier, but we had a big tailwind down the mad mile (actually 10k) which was way too tempting....

I'm intrested in learning what spin classes are about, so I'm going to do some and analyse them. Whenever I've done stationary training, we have done the same interval throughout the session, which is quite different to what I've observed in the couple of spin classes I've been to so far.

mikesbytes said:
3 gorges is a pretty tuff ride, I bet that spin class hurt too. From my place its also125k, so I don't go that often as it takes up too much time.

When I was less fit I needed days to rest my legs. I can take it easy when the need it. This morning I rode to Waterfall again and took it a bit easier, but we had a big tailwind down the mad mile (actually 10k) which was way too tempting....

I'm intrested in learning what spin classes are about, so I'm going to do some and analyse them. Whenever I've done stationary training, we have done the same interval throughout the session, which is quite different to what I've observed in the couple of spin classes I've been to so far.

The 3Gs are a 90k ride for me and something I do on regular basis (3:34 hr/min on a good day, depending who I'm riding with). Only had 4.5 hrs sleep, so went back to bed when I got home (for 3 hrs), planed to rest for 30 min.

My spin class is 1 hr. I usually just do a recovery ride myself and drive the others hard. it is different then the classes I instruct during the week. I just do a continuous hour ride. Last night I threw in a 15 min block of 40-20s at the end, I did them at L4. felt fine. My classes are different then everyone else's.

Read the rant, new post, like to talk about intensity and volume.

mikesbytes said:
I'm going to do some and analyse them. Whenever I've done stationary training, we have done the same interval throughout the session.

There are some truly great instructors out there that motivate and have good class formats. So don't judge them all on one instructor. A lot of them are also **** for a cyclist, too many very short intervals with inadequate recovery to back up the third or fourth interval. ie Les Mills RPM classes, which are popular and very varied with losts of nonsense to fire up the participants and make the time pass quickly.

3 1/2 hours is pretty good for the 3 gorges. You should have a crack at the Sydney road racing championships in the MMAS6 race.

edd said:
There are some truly great instructors out there that motivate and have good class formats. So don't judge them all on one instructor. A lot of them are also **** for a cyclist, too many very short intervals with inadequate recovery to back up the third or fourth interval. ie Les Mills RPM classes, which are popular and very varied with losts of nonsense to fire up the participants and make the time pass quickly.
I'll vary the instructors too.

I noticed that there were 3 formats;
- Spin, which appears to be whatever the instructor dishes out.
- RPM, something from LM
- RPM advanced (or something). Something else from LM.

I've asked several instructors what type of intervals they do and not a single one could answer the question. So I'm assuming that LM doesn't communicate what I am asking in their training.

BTW, whats the difference between the 45 minute classes and the 1 hour ones?

The classes seem to be pretty popular, so perhaps LM should be given some credit, as the participants are getting a lot more out of their lunch time than their fellow co-workers who are down at food hall.

mikesbytes said:
3 1/2 hours is pretty good for the 3 gorges. You should have a crack at the Sydney road racing championships in the MMAS6 racel.

Been thinking on this, others have also suggested this. I given the TTs at Calga a go, I suck at these.

I've got pretty good sprint legs and if I time it right can blow the top of a hill, time it badly and blow myself up instead.

Vet's races are out west and I don't have a car at the mo. Have lots of work commitments as well.

M / F:_______M

Weekly Training Hours:________5 - 7 (winter), 10-15 (summer)

Days off per week:_____ 2-3 (winter), 1off + 1active recover (summer)

edd said:
Been thinking on this, others have also suggested this. I given the TTs at Calga a go, I suck at these.

I've got pretty good sprint legs and if I time it right can blow the top of a hill, time it badly and blow myself up instead.

Vet's races are out west and I don't have a car at the mo. Have lots of work commitments as well.
Calga is 20k for Vets I think.

You don't need to restrict yourself just to vets, you can race almost anywhere, as its skill graded.

From where you live you could ride to Heffron park at Marobua on Saturday afternoons for RBCC's racing. On Certain Sunday mornings you can race at the Tennis Centre, which is used by both Waratah Vets and LACC, check their web pages. There are riders in your area who ride to these races, someone could ride down with you.

edd said:

Most of the Vets racing out west is graded anyway, it's mostly championships that are run in age categories. Like Mike said, you are prob better off racing in graded scratch races anyway. Here is a list of events for the Northside:
http://www.masiello.com.au/bicisport/store/catalog/RacingProg.pdf

You a member of a CA affiliated club?

Annual Totals 2006/07 season (last full year before forced stop)

From 1/04/2006 To 31/03/2007
TSS 30333 (~580 / week); Max: 915/week; Min 0/week
IF 0.78
Energy (kJ): 334,241 (~6,420 / week); Max 10,525/week ; Min 0/week
Distance (km): 14,397 (~275 / week); Max 430/week ; Min 0/week
Duration (hrs:min): 490:37 (~9.5 hrs / week); max 14:16; Min 0:00

Alex Simmons said:
Most of the Vets racing out west is graded anyway, it's mostly championships that are run in age categories. Like Mike said, you are prob better off racing in graded scratch races anyway. Here is a list of events for the Northside:
http://www.masiello.com.au/bicisport/store/catalog/RacingProg.pdf

You a member of a CA affiliated club?

no, not a member of anything, just train hard and go out Sundays and smack the old heart around. I have a friend who I ride with who is an ex racer who knows everyone and everything, he can steer me in the right direction.

Calga TTs are 12.5k, 25k and 40k there's this guy 58 y/o who can do the 25k 7min quicker than me. No amount of training or $$$ on equipment will close that gap.

edd said:
no, not a member of anything, just train hard and go out Sundays and smack the old heart around. I have a friend who I ride with who is an ex racer who knows everyone and everything, he can steer me in the right direction.

Calga TTs are 12.5k, 25k and 40k there's this guy 58 y/o who can do the 25k 7min quicker than me. No amount of training or $$$ on equipment will close that gap.
Then you won't be able to race in anything other than ATTA then. You must be a CA licenced rider to enter a race and the only way to be CA licenced is to be a member of a CA (CNSW) affiliated club. I think there are some "trial membership entries" you can use for a couple of races but that'd be about it.