Poll: What is the best XC/Freeride tire?

N Simpson

Guest
Opinions wanted.

- Panaracer Fire XC is what I run, but I'm slow. Must be the
tires' fault.

Simpson

"N Simpson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Opinions wanted.
>
> - Panaracer Fire XC is what I run, but I'm slow. Must be
> the tires' fault.

I thought they were pretty slow. They're incredible in other
ways, but tires are a compromise. Using Fires while climbing
on loose dirt is almost cheating.

N Simpson wrote:
> Opinions wanted.
>
> - Panaracer Fire XC is what I run, but I'm slow. Must be
> the tires' fault.
>
> Simpson

I think my Intense System 4s would fall into that category.
I think they're great, but definitely not a fast XC tire.
Lighter than some others too.

Matt

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 21:56:09 -0400, "N Simpson"
<[email protected]> scribbled:

>Opinions wanted.
>
>- Panaracer Fire XC is what I run, but I'm slow. Must be
> the tires' fault.
>
>Simpson

I use some Panaracer Fire XC's too. I'm also slow. Damn
the tires. ;)

-Slash
--
"Ebert Victorious"
-The Onion

N Simpson wrote:
> Opinions wanted.
>
> - Panaracer Fire XC is what I run, but I'm slow. Must be
> the tires' fault.
>
> Simpson

I have Panaracer Fire XC's on one bike and Hutchinson
Mosquitos on another. I have also used Scorpions. So far the
best tire for me has been the Panaracers. I like the grip. I
don't race so I'm not caught up on the speed issue.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

N Simpson <[email protected]> wrote:
> Opinions wanted.
>
> - Panaracer Fire XC is what I run, but I'm slow. Must be
> the tires' fault.
>
> Simpson

I use IRC Mythos and they're definitely fast, but I'm
slow though...

--
- Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)

"Slash" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 21:56:09 -0400, "N Simpson"
> <[email protected]> scribbled:
>
> >Opinions wanted.
> >
> >- Panaracer Fire XC is what I run, but I'm slow. Must be
> > the tires'
fault.

> >Simpson
>
> I use some Panaracer Fire XC's too. I'm also slow. Damn
> the tires. ;)
>
> -Slash
> --
> "Ebert Victorious"
>
> - The Onion

I'm using the Nokian Gazzaloddi Jr's, they are 2.6 inch
Downhill and Free ride tires. They turn in loose sand and
dirt so well I'd swear I'm on rails sometimes. They are so
big, they essentially add another inch to your suspension,
and swallow up small to medium sized roots like they are not
even there. They have huge protection to prevent pinch
flatting, so free riders should have few accidental jump
related flats. I'm slow up long downhills that I can't coast
halfway up, and I get to blame this on the tires weighing
1600 grams each! Its like buying a great tire that excuses
you from having to climb fast- a great deal at any price :)

Here's a site I found to be good for tire information...
http://www.themudzone.com/tire/tire_site_files/reviews/-
index.html

Dan V

"N Simpson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Opinions wanted.
>
> - Panaracer Fire XC is what I run, but I'm slow. Must be
> the tires' fault.
>
> Simpson

It depends on where you live. The WTB Motoraptor 2.4 is
king here.

JD

> "N Simpson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Opinions wanted.
> >
> > - Panaracer Fire XC is what I run, but I'm slow. Must be
> > the tires'
fault.

> > Simpson
>
> It depends on where you live. The WTB Motoraptor 2.4 is
> king here.
>
> JD

That tire doesn't work for me for the conditions and trails
we have here. I stick to the Panaracer Fire XC Pro's 2.1 or
Continental Vertical Pro 2.3 for the riding here.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

"Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "N Simpson" <[email protected]> wrote in
> > message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Opinions wanted.
> > >
> > > - Panaracer Fire XC is what I run, but I'm slow. Must
> > > be the tires'
> fault.
> > >
> > > Simpson
> >
> > It depends on where you live. The WTB Motoraptor 2.4 is
> > king here.
> >
> > JD
>
> That tire doesn't work for me for the conditions and
> trails we have here. I stick to the Panaracer Fire XC
> Pro's 2.1 or Continental Vertical Pro 2.3 for the
> riding here.

I have to agree that the Vertical Pro works really well out
East. It works well in loose or loamy conditions for me
here, but suck on hardpack for heavier riders because the
small knobbies are squirrely. I just started running the
Conti 2.3 Gravitys on my Marin and they are superior on
hardpack and in loamy conditions. I have to wait until
Summer to see how they do on wet roots/rocks.

JD

> "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > "N Simpson" <[email protected]> wrote in
> > > message
> > news:<[email protected]>...

tires'
> > fault.

> > > It depends on where you live. The WTB Motoraptor 2.4
> > > is king here.
> > >
> > > JD
> >
> > That tire doesn't work for me for the conditions and
> > trails we have
here. I
> > stick to the Panaracer Fire XC Pro's 2.1 or Continental
> > Vertical Pro 2.3
for
> > the riding here.
>
> I have to agree that the Vertical Pro works really well
> out East. It works well in loose or loamy conditions for
> me here, but suck on hardpack for heavier riders because
> the small knobbies are squirrely. I just started running
> the Conti 2.3 Gravitys on my Marin and they are superior
> on hardpack and in loamy conditions. I have to wait until
> Summer to see how they do on wet roots/rocks.
>
> JD

I have Hutchinson Pythons right now and I have to say they
suck mule ear for the conditions here (some mud, clay,
roots, soft dirt, etc). I've slipped out sideways twice now
(never have with my Panaracers) and lose traction regularly
on upslopes.

I have Panaracers on my hardtail and I love those.

Marty (can't wait for the Pythons to croak)

"Marty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I have Hutchinson Pythons right now and I have to say they
> suck mule ear
for
> the conditions here (some mud, clay, roots, soft dirt,
> etc). I've slipped out sideways twice now (never have with
> my Panaracers) and lose traction regularly on upslopes.

True. They are not strong in mud or wet clay. They can give
out when leaning on them.

> Marty (can't wait for the Pythons to croak)

JD's statement about where you live is the best advice in
this thread. I would add that time of year can make a
difference as well. If you haven't ridden Pythons long,
you may find you like them better as the summer progresses
and things dry out. They are a great all round tire, but
not my favorite in the winter or spring for the reasons
you mention.

> I have Hutchinson Pythons right now and I have to say they
> suck mule ear
for
> the conditions here (some mud, clay, roots, soft dirt,
> etc). I've slipped out sideways twice now (never have with
> my Panaracers) and lose traction regularly on upslopes.
>
> I have Panaracers on my hardtail and I love those.
>
> Marty (can't wait for the Pythons to croak)

IRC Mythos or Panaracers

TM wrote:

> JD's statement about where you live is the best advice in
> this thread. I would add that time of year can make a
> difference as well. If you haven't ridden Pythons long,
> you may find you like them better as the summer progresses
> and things dry out. They are a great all round tire, but
> not my favorite in the winter or spring for the reasons
> you mention.

Ditto. I use Pythons over the summer months when things dry
out and the gravel, the leaf mulch and clay is dry and hard.
They're good and fast at that time of the year. I've been
trying a bunch o' winter tyres but haven't found a real
goodie yet. Scorpions work reasonably well. (gonna try the
Fire XC when I can find a tubeless set). You need something
with knobs in the mud and on the leaf mulch. Pythons
certainly wouldn't be my choice to use in those conditions.
--
Westie (Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

"N Simpson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Opinions wanted.
>
> - Panaracer Fire XC is what I run, but I'm slow. Must be
> the tires' fault.
>
> Simpson

In the WNC area, most XC is very technical and people run a
wide front
(2.3ish) and a narrow rear (1.85 to 2.1). I haven't found a
better performing tire than the Fire XC Pro, but I had a
problem with the knobs ripping off. I'm riding Seracs now
and they're not as grippy as the FXCPs but the slide is
predictable and they re-grip quickly.

Panaracer has their new Cinder out, I'd like to run the 1.85
(or 1.9) in the rear and the 2.3 up front.

"Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>I've been trying a bunch o' winter tyres but haven't found
>a real goodie yet. Scorpions work reasonably well.

I've been using Mosquitoes and I've been really pleased.

>(gonna try the Fire XC when I can find a tubeless set).

But, I've never used these and they seem to have a
following...

Michelin Hot S and not just because they are Red. 2.5" won't fit on the
back of my bike though :(

--
_________________________
Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia http://www.ramsays-

"TM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> >I've been trying a bunch o' winter tyres but haven't
> >found a real goodie yet. Scorpions work reasonably well.
>
> I've been using Mosquitoes and I've been really pleased.
>
> >(gonna try the Fire XC when I can find a tubeless set).
>
> But, I've never used these and they seem to have a
> following...

Traction's good but lots of people report the knobs ripping
off, including
me. My personal current setup is Motoraptor 2.4 in front,
Fire XC in back.

Greg

> It depends on where you live. The WTB Motoraptor 2.4 is
> king here.
>
> JD

What's the terrain like? Any similarity to SoCal?

A bunch of my friends swear by Motoraptors too, but I've
never tried them.

-Bruce

"Bruce Edge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > It depends on where you live. The WTB Motoraptor 2.4 is
> > king here.
> >
> > JD
>
> What's the terrain like? Any similarity to SoCal?
>
> A bunch of my friends swear by Motoraptors too, but I've
> never tried them.

Badass out here for a front tire. These days I'll run just
about anything on the rear.

Greg