Poll: What's your Functional Threshold power?

yzfrr11

Nov 11, 2004
Indicate your resent FTP, age, best resent result, and total years cycling.

I'll start:
FTP:310
result: 2nd Cat4 state championship RR
years cycling: 3

yzfrr11 said:

I'll start:
How about mass too?

I have some estimates for mine, but I'll wait until next week when I can test.

whoawhoa said:
How about mass too?

I have some estimates for mine, but I'll wait until next week when I can test.
Oh yeah, mass is important: 75Kg

FTP: 280 end of last season, 262 inside on the trainer(going up next test).
68.5 Kg now, 66 summer

Cat 2 packfill, racing 4 years(again)

FTP: 232w;
Mass: 71kg;
Years cycling: 3;
Best result: 23:30 for a 10 mile TT last summer.

I have been questioning my FTP which, correct me if I am wrong, is my 1 hour power too? Well I did a 2x20 session out on a TT course I use frequently, and although I completed the 2x20's @ (232wAP/234wNP), theres no way I could have maintained this power for 1 hour.
Can someone put me right on this please?

AndROOb said:
FTP: 232w;
Well I did a 2x20 session out on a TT course I use frequently, and although I completed the 2x20's @ (232wAP/234wNP), theres no way I could have maintained this power for 1 hour.
In a race situation, I bet you could have.

yzfrr11 said:
Current:

FTP=220w if I'm lucky
78kg
Best Result - not off the back on yesterday's ride
5 years.

Best Ever - (2004)
FTP ~ 260w or so
75kg
Cat 4 State RR Champ + 3 other wins that year
4 years

FTP: 340w now, a little higher (hopefully) when the racing starts in March
Mass: 78kg now, 75kg in season
Years cycling: 4 years racing, currently cat 3

No recent results to speak of except a 40k TT win last year on a windy 90+ degree day.

I won a couple of races as a cat 4, but since then it's been an uphill battle in the 123 fields.

Thorman said:
FTP: 340w now, a little higher (hopefully) when the racing starts in March
Mass: 78kg now, 75kg in season
Years cycling: 4 years racing, currently cat 3

No recent results to speak of except a 40k TT win last year on a windy 90+ degree day.

I won a couple of races as a cat 4, but since then it's been an uphill battle in the 123 fields.

Where do you live & can you sprint? With an FTP of 340 you shouldn't have much trouble winning just about everthing out here in Michigan! Do you guys have any 3's only races?

Reactions: Dansky
AndROOb said:
I have been questioning my FTP which, correct me if I am wrong, is my 1 hour power too? Well I did a 2x20 session out on a TT course I use frequently, and although I completed the 2x20's @ (232wAP/234wNP), theres no way I could have maintained this power for 1 hour.
Can someone put me right on this please?

If you went out when reasonably fresh and attempted to really "nail it" during some 2 x 20 min efforts, then you could very well have done them at a power greater than your functional threshold power.

beerco said:
Where do you live & can you sprint? With an FTP of 340 you shouldn't have much trouble winning just about everthing out here in Michigan! Do you guys have any 3's only races?
I live in Canton, Ohio and I'd say I'm not much of a sprinter (~1100w 15 sec peak power last season).

We do have a number of 3/4 races here in the spring that I hope to do better at this year.

Sounds like I need to consider some races in Michigan.

FTP: 275w
Mass: 65k
Cat 4 in Northern California, 1 yr racing, best recent result - 4th at Infineon Circuit Race....out of a field of 9! :eek:
There are lots of people w/similiar capabilities in NorCal - unfortunately, a lot of them also know how to actually race. Think I'm doing fine at the training part, but that's at best 50% of the equation for me.

I use my today's numbers, AFTER racking up 800+ TSS as of today. :D

Did a 2x20 L4 threshold power intervals.

230w ap/240 np
Average HR is 173
Weight is 60kg.
Cat4.
Racing 3 years.

These numbers are only 5w less than my last May LT power which I had my average HR at 181.

yzfrr11 said:

I'll start:

280w
75kg, summer weight 70kg
age 29
cycling 3yrs since a long layoff

best recent result: none, always getting my head kicked in at road races (!), but hopefully that will change when i get the power up for this summer. (case in point...typical all-cat crit i have ridden requires drilling the hills at over 500 watts, minute long efforts in the 400w+ bracket, and at other times a steady pull of about 300-320w. consquently i've struggled to last better than 30-40 mins). oh, and it's a tad embarassing going off the back with an SRM Pro equipped bike!

FTP: 310w (rough estimate, based on past performance with powertap)
Weight: 79kg
4/wkg
Just started base this week. PB FTP was 355w last May.
Cat 2, road sprinter

beerco said:

I'm not sure what it's like out there, but in New England, as a cat 3, you need a FTP of around 5w/kg to win the hilly road races. At 79kg, I (among many others) got dropped by the 3 field on a 5 minute climb, where my power was averaging around 450w.

My point is that a 75kg cat 3 rider with a FTP of 340w, would not be cleaning up.

Recent:
FTP:235W (home trainer)
Mass:72kg

Best (last summer):
FTP:265W? (<-estimated)
Mass:70kg

FTP:290W (indoor imagic)
Mass:73kg
results: none, never raced

velomanct said:
I'm not sure what it's like out there, but in New England, as a cat 3, you need a FTP of around 5w/kg to win the hilly road races. At 79kg, I (among many others) got dropped by the 3 field on a 5 minute climb, where my power was averaging around 450w.

My point is that a 75kg cat 3 rider with a FTP of 340w, would not be cleaning up.

You should consider the hour record I think Chris Boardman averaged 442 watts for his athletes record.

I think you are comparing apples and oranges unless you are saying your FT is 450 watts.

beerco said:

Im from MI, i now live in AZ where i can train all year and have lots of hills and mountains. im planning on going to Mi this year for a race or 2. you know of any RR there with lots of climbs?