Poll: What's your Functional Threshold power?

krike said:
Oh :-/ :eek: well thanks
what kind of leves would the 'good' cat 2 and 1 competitors be at.

I cant post mine yet as riding over 40 mintues is really bad for me at the moment, so its a nice zero watt :(.i'm lowest on the rank. Luckly i read some threatment that might help me out of my myserie for good. Insoles only work partially on my overpronated foot i am going to the so many'est doctor but their appears to be a new operative treatment that is specifickly designed for people with my problem.:)
And the best thing of all is that i'll never have to wear bulky shoes in my life afterwards!
Good Luck with the procedure. I hope it works out well for you...

Check out this site: http://www.cyclingpeakssoftware.com/power411/

Specifically, this section: http://www.cyclingpeakssoftware.com/power411/profile.asp

Remember, these are just estimates, as there is much more to racing than w/kg.

Jim

Jim

otb4evr said:
Good Luck with the procedure. I hope it works out well for you...

Check out this site: http://www.cyclingpeakssoftware.com/power411/

Specifically, this section: http://www.cyclingpeakssoftware.com/power411/profile.asp

Remember, these are just estimates, as there is much more to racing than w/kg.

Jim

Jim
just saw on cyclingnews that Marcel Wust (ex sprinter at Festina) says :
He also talked about the watts put out by a sprinter, saying his maximum was 1125 as of a year ago (he retired in 2000), and that the top sprinters do around 1,400-1,500 watts, which they can hold for seven to ten seconds. In the typical test where the wattage is increased every three minutes he managed 450, whereas top guys can reach 600."

I find it kind of odd that so many forum members are in the kilowatt club.....Wust was winning pro races on 1125! You guys should be decimating your local races!

BullGod said:
just saw on cyclingnews that Marcel Wust (ex sprinter at Festina) says :
He also talked about the watts put out by a sprinter, saying his maximum was 1125 as of a year ago (he retired in 2000), and that the top sprinters do around 1,400-1,500 watts, which they can hold for seven to ten seconds. In the typical test where the wattage is increased every three minutes he managed 450, whereas top guys can reach 600."

I find it kind of odd that so many forum members are in the kilowatt club.....Wust was winning pro races on 1125! You guys should be decimating your local races!
he wasn't winning pro races a year ago was he? 1400-1500 sounds much more in line for Pro road sprinters.

FTP: 408 Watt
Mass: 65 kg
Years cycling: 7
Best result: don't know

Oege said:
FTP: 408 Watt
Mass: 65 kg
Years cycling: 7
Best result: don't know
Hi Oege, 408 watts at 65 kg means a power to weight ratio of 6.3 watts / kg. 6.3 watts/kg is at the upper end of best pro athletes (see this table). Almost all Tour de France riders wish they have a power-to-weight-ratio of 6.3 watts / kg. With an FTP of 408 watts and a p/w ratio of 6.3 you should be able to ride top 10 in a timetrial and top 10 in a mountainstage with the pro's. (And with using doping you can increas it with 5% to 6.6 watts/kg which is higher than Lance Armstrong and Migual Indurain)

Can you support your claim with your powertap data? Or is the 408 watts your Maximum Lactate Steady State tested on an ergometer nearby Utrecht?

PaulMD said:
Hi Oege,
Can you support your claim with your powertap data? Or is the 408 watts your Maximum Lactate Steady State tested on an ergometer nearby Utrecht?
No, I can't. Until now, I have never climbed with the Powertap because of the extra weight of the hub. The value of 408 Watt is obtaind in a maximal test nearby Utrecht (S.M.A.)

PaulMD said:
Hi Oege, 408 watts at 65 kg means a power to weight ratio of 6.3 watts / kg. 6.3 watts/kg is at the upper end of best pro athletes (see this table). Almost all Tour de France riders wish they have a power-to-weight-ratio of 6.3 watts / kg. With an FTP of 408 watts and a p/w ratio of 6.3 you should be able to ride top 10 in a timetrial and top 10 in a mountainstage with the pro's. (And with using doping you can increas it with 5% to 6.6 watts/kg which is higher than Lance Armstrong and Migual Indurain)

I hope 408w at 65kg is his max power in a ramp test that you can get done at many places here in Holland.

at 38 I don't think he's the guy on Team Odysis who lapped the peloton twice in the Ronde van Oostzaan on sunday.

BullGod said:
I hope 408w at 65kg is his max power in a ramp test that you can get done at many places here in Holland.
I don't know what a ramp test is :confused:
408 Watt was my power at F.T. at heart rate 173.
Max power was 454 Watt at heart rate 186.

Oege said:
I don't know what a ramp test is :confused:
408 Watt was my power at F.T. at heart rate 173.
Max power was 454 Watt at heart rate 186.
was this a test format where you start pedalling easy at low resistance, and then every few minutes the resistance is cranked up until you're cooked? so you then get a max power (highest value you reached before you stopped) and some sort of "threshold" reading (which can be several different things) lower than the absolute max?

Or can you seriously put out an average of 408w over an hour?

at 65kg you could be Dutch TT champion with that kind of engine.

BullGod said:
was this a test format where you start pedalling easy at low resistance, and then every few minutes the resistance is cranked up until you're cooked? so you then get a max power (highest value you reached before you stopped) and some sort of "threshold" reading (which can be several different things) lower than the absolute max?

Or can you seriously put out an average of 408w over an hour?

at 65kg you could be Dutch TT champion with that kind of engine.
I'm thinking it's like the one I recently did which calculated a Respiratory Copensation Point of sumthing like 405W (which was at 93 % of MHR )...

Oege said:
No, I can't. Until now, I have never climbed with the Powertap because of the extra weight of the hub. The value of 408 Watt is obtaind in a maximal test nearby Utrecht (S.M.A.)
I have also done a maximal test at a SMA in Holland - it doesn't calculate FT as we are discussing here (hour average power output) but instead incrementally ramps the resistance to get MAP.

I don't know what kind of threshold they measure, but it isn't FT as discussed here.

Oege - doe je wedstrijden? Op welke niveau? Elite?

OK, maybe I don't exactly know what the exact defenition of functional treshold is on this forum. I just did a maximal test in May, which gave 408 Watt at anaerobic treshold and 454 Watt max. power. The test starts at 100 Watt, with power increment of 17 Watt per minute. This is a sort of standard test.

I never did 408 Watt for one hour on a bike!

So I understand from the previous postings that there is a (big) difference between power at anaerobic treshold and functional treshold power???

Oege said:
OK, maybe I don't exactly know what the exact defenition of functional treshold is on this forum. I just did a maximal test in May, which gave 408 Watt at anaerobic treshold and 454 Watt max. power. The test starts at 100 Watt, with power increment of 17 Watt per minute. This is a sort of standard test.

I never did 408 Watt for one hour on a bike!

So I understand from the previous postings that there is a (big) difference between power at anaerobic treshold and functional treshold power???
Anaerobic threshold is very different to Functional Threshold. FT is the average power you can sustain for about an hour - kind of your long TT maximum effort pace. at 65kg 408 watts would be absolutely awesome.

BullGod said:
Anaerobic threshold is very different to Functional Threshold. FT is the average power you can sustain for about an hour

whereas "anaerobic threshold" is a misnomer.

Ric

P.S. 1 hr = long TT? Yowsers! Try telling that to 'testers' in the UK who do races up to 12 and 24 hrs, and where most people think an hour is short! ;-)

BullGod said:
Anaerobic threshold is very different to Functional Threshold. FT is the average power you can sustain for about an hour - kind of your long TT maximum effort pace. at 65kg 408 watts would be absolutely awesome.
The value tested at the S.M.A. in Amerongen is probably the Maximum Lactate Steady State (MLSS) (which was on Oege's website). The MLSS is comparable with the FTP (maximum power which can be sustained for 60 minutes). So the 408 watts could be Oege his FTP. His power to weight ratio at his FTP is probably the highest here on this forum based on his results in cyclosportives (top rankings La Marmotte). But I was wondering of the 408 watts tested in Amerongen could be supported by data from his powertap because when I had to estimated his FTP (based on times of the podium riders at La Marmotte) it is 5.6-5.8 watts/kg.

ric_stern/RST said:
whereas "anaerobic threshold" is a misnomer.
I thought it was quite a common term in exercise physiology

Anaerobic threshold
The physiological point during exercise at which the muscles start using more oxygen than the body can transport, and as a result, the work of the muscles starts producing more lactic acid than the body can process.

Oege said:
I thought it was quite a common term in exercise physiology

Anaerobic threshold
The physiological point during exercise at which the muscles start using more oxygen than the body can transport, and as a result, the work of the muscles starts producing more lactic acid than the body can process.
He's probably referring to the fact that most people think anaerobic is at a much lower level than what it really is. Eg, a hard 1 minute max effort isn't all anaerobic.

PaulMD said:
The value tested at the S.M.A. in Amerongen is probably the Maximum Lactate Steady State (MLSS) (which was on Oege's website). The MLSS is comparable with the FTP (maximum power which can be sustained for 60 minutes). So the 408 watts could be Oege his FTP. His power to weight ratio at his FTP is probably the highest here on this forum based on his results in cyclosportives (top rankings La Marmotte). But I was wondering of the 408 watts tested in Amerongen could be supported by data from his powertap because when I had to estimated his FTP (based on times of the podium riders at La Marmotte) it is 5.6-5.8 watts/kg.
his website also says he has a VO2 max of 92. Oege - you must be the fittest man on the planet.

BullGod said:
Anaerobic threshold is very different to Functional Threshold. FT is the average power you can sustain for about an hour - kind of your long TT maximum effort pace.
So the best way to determine FT is to ride for one hour as fast as you can, and then look at the average power?

iliveonnitro said:
He's probably referring to the fact that most people think anaerobic is at a much lower level than what it really is.

No, Ric was referring to the fact that the "anaerobic" threshold occurs at a exercise intensity at which exercising skeletal muscle is still fully aerobic.