Poll: What's your Functional Threshold power?

Stanette said:
Well, maybe I should add my weight: 165 lbs. (Yes, yes, I know... it's going down:rolleyes: )
that still puts you in the 4.4 watts/kG range, still very strong, Cat 1 range as listed in Andys maximal power output table.
wow!

Somehow, I feel scepticism...:p

Well, I based my calculations on a friend's powertap: we weigh the same and own the same rollers. So with the same tire pressure, this should be the power output associated with the speed displayed. I verified the results with a home stationary bicycle that does display power and the results are at +/- 5 watts difference.

Stanette said:

Well, I based my calculations on a friend's powertap: we weigh the same and own the same rollers. So with the same tire pressure, this should be the power output associated with the speed displayed. I verified the results with a home stationary bicycle that does display power and the results are at +/- 5 watts difference.
borrow your friend's PT and report back ;) Be sure to zero it as well .....

Stanette said:

What device are you using to measure your power?

bigbevans said:
What device are you using to measure your power?
You mean on the stationary bicycle?

Well, there is a simple chart with power numbers associated with the different levels of resistance and rpm.

Stanette said:
You mean on the stationary bicycle?

Well, there is a simple chart with power numbers associated with the different levels of resistance and rpm.
You really need an SRM, Powertap, or Ergomo to get any accurate measure of power. There is very little validity with wattage numbers from any thing else outside of a exercise lab.

velomanct said:
You really need an SRM, Powertap, or Ergomo to get any accurate measure of power. There is very little validity with wattage numbers from any thing else outside of a exercise lab.
Very well then... Soon enough I will get back on the road (gotta love those long Canadian winter). First thing when I hit the road, I plan to do a little TT to track my improvement. I'll let you know...

Well I've read this thread from beginning to end, so I'll just slink away into a corner somewhere and come back when I have a figure worth posting.:(

BTW RD (similar age to your's truly)your FT of 325W was last May's figure - :eek: what the hell is it now?!?!

Stanette said:
Very well then... Soon enough I will get back on the road (gotta love those long Canadian winter). First thing when I hit the road...

You also have to love them pot holes and no bike lanes.

zaskar said:
You also have to love them pot holes and no bike lanes.
Pot holes you say? You'll disppear if your ride into some of them. Some roads are plain unusable... as in you'll wreck your bike if you ride faster than 10 km/h. Even by car, we avoid them. Roads in Canada are becomming similar to those of third whorld countries.

We do have bike lanes though.:rolleyes:

Anything is better than indoor riding, huh...cough.

I've had Dr. Coggans book for 1 week and I got my powertap SL yesturday.

Today I averaged 331 watts for the 20 minute test giving me a FT of 314 watts. My weight is 166.5 pounds (75.68 kg) giving me a power to weight ratio of 4.15.

I race cat A cyclocross, expert mountain bike.

This year I am starting road racing. My first race I got 2nd in a combined 3/4/5 circuit race. My second race was a cat 4 and I finished in the pack after a 24 mile break away with a friend which buried me but resulted in a victory for my friend. 3rd road race this weekend. It has a big hill we climb 11 times. I expect to do well. If I win it I'll ask for my cat 3 upgrade next week (upgrade dude is way cool will and will prolly upgrade me despite not enough points).

matt

Spunout said:
FTP: 280 end of last season, 262 inside on the trainer(going up next test).
68.5 Kg now, 66 summer

Cat 2 packfill, racing 4 years(again)
Update:

March 04: 278 Watts for 67kg...base training is almost done :D

mattv2099 said:
I've had Dr. Coggans book for 1 week and I got my powertap SL yesturday.

Today I averaged 331 watts for the 20 minute test giving me a FT of 314 watts. My weight is 166.5 pounds (75.68 kg) giving me a power to weight ratio of 4.15.

I race cat A cyclocross, expert mountain bike.

This year I am starting road racing. My first race I got 2nd in a combined 3/4/5 circuit race. My second race was a cat 4 and I finished in the pack after a 24 mile break away with a friend which buried me but resulted in a victory for my friend. 3rd road race this weekend. It has a big hill we climb 11 times. I expect to do well. If I win it I'll ask for my cat 3 upgrade next week (upgrade dude is way cool will and will prolly upgrade me despite not enough points).

matt
Does this race with "a big hill we climb 11 times" happen to be the spring series race in Langley?

kclw said:
Does this race with "a big hill we climb 11 times" happen to be the spring series race in Langley?
That is the race. I assume you are racing it too?

mattv2099 said:
That is the race. I assume you are racing it too?
I am not going to race, no form and some back problems. My GF is going to race, I am going to hand out water bottles. :(

kclw said:
I am not going to race, no form and some back problems. My GF is going to race, I am going to hand out water bottles. :(
I guess I won't be racing there afterall... As of the morning of the race my starter in my car is crapping out. The last thing I want to do I travel to another country and have my starter completely die on me...

I'm sad. Hard road racing courses are hard to find around here.

robkit said:
280w
75kg, summer weight 70kg
age 29
cycling 3yrs since a long layoff

best recent result: none, always getting my head kicked in at road races (!), but hopefully that will change when i get the power up for this summer. (case in point...typical all-cat crit i have ridden requires drilling the hills at over 500 watts, minute long efforts in the 400w+ bracket, and at other times a steady pull of about 300-320w. consquently i've struggled to last better than 30-40 mins). oh, and it's a tad embarassing going off the back with an SRM Pro equipped bike!

Not sure if you were 70 kg in these races (crits). Anyway, our stats are similar (i weight slightly less, and put out slightly more power). I ride 1/2/3 cat crits, often finishing in the lead group (although i can't sprint for toffee, so my placings aren't great) and never averaging more than 210 W. NP is about 230 W tops. The only time i've been dropped in a crit in the last 10 years is in 2004 when i went and did 4hrs training in the mountains first.

I have to wonder how you're riding the races?

Ric

(apologies for thread drift)