Polling stations cycle parking

Richard

Guest
Shamelessly stolen from a cycle mailing list:

Straw (no, not that one) poll: what's the cycle parking facilities like
at your local polling station?

R.

Richard wrote:

> Straw (no, not that one) poll: what's the cycle parking facilities
> like at your local polling station?

There was a wall. I leant my bike on it.

Richard wrote:
> Shamelessly stolen from a cycle mailing list:
>
> Straw (no, not that one) poll: what's the cycle parking facilities
> like at your local polling station?
>
> R.

Cycle racks outside the door (it's the local leisure centre).

Richard wrote:
> Shamelessly stolen from a cycle mailing list:
>
> Straw (no, not that one) poll: what's the cycle parking facilities like
> at your local polling station?

None. But is is a tiny ramshackle village hall down an unmade track in a
hamlet with less than a dozen houses. Most of the population seem to be
in their nineties. I'd be more worried about one of them breaking their
hip after falling down the steps that with one of them having it away
with my bike.

Colin

Richard wrote:
> Shamelessly stolen from a cycle mailing list:
>
> Straw (no, not that one) poll: what's the cycle parking facilities
> like at your local polling station?
>
> R.

The building has walls. My bike can lean. Round the back there is a
drainpipe. It takes longer to lock it to the drainpipe than it does to make
a cross on a ballot paper, but both things could determine what happens in
the immediate future.
--

Martin Bulmer

On 5/5/05 9:17 am, in article [email protected], "Richard"

> Straw (no, not that one) poll: what's the cycle parking facilities like
> at your local polling station?

None. But I had two options.
1. If there is a political apparatchnik outside, ask them to watch your bike
while you vote (I have done this and was intending to do so this morning but
noone seems interested in canvassing for my vote so plan B)
2. It was quiet - I wheeled it into the polling station. This is in the
communal lounge of a sheltered housing block so it meant going through a few
doors and over some carpet. It wasn't raining so I was happy with that.

...d

Richard came up with the following;:
> Shamelessly stolen from a cycle mailing list:
>
> Straw (no, not that one) poll: what's the cycle parking facilities like
> at your local polling station?

You can park the bike anywhere you want ...

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

"Richard" <[email protected]>

> Straw (no, not that one) poll: what's the cycle parking facilities like at
> your local polling station?

I walked there. It's in a church 5 minutes away - I wasn't going to get
togged up in my cycle gear for that.
--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

On 5/5/05 10:25 am, in article [email protected], "Simon
Mason" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Richard" <[email protected]>
> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> Shamelessly stolen from a cycle mailing list:
>>
>> Straw (no, not that one) poll: what's the cycle parking facilities like at
>> your local polling station?

> I walked there. It's in a church 5 minutes away - I wasn't going to get
> togged up in my cycle gear for that.

Don't need special gear for that. I rode in my work clothes, and then
continued to work.

...d

Richard wrote:
> Shamelessly stolen from a cycle mailing list:
>
> Straw (no, not that one) poll: what's the cycle parking facilities
> like at your local polling station?

Leant the bike against a fence next to one that probably belonged to
one of the two party workers there (Lib Dem and Tory). Left it under
their watchful gaze while I strolled in to vote Green.

--
Dave...

"Richard" <[email protected]>

> Straw (no, not that one) poll: what's the cycle parking facilities like at
> your local polling station?
>
> R.

Non-existant. Mind you the place only a few minutes walk away, so it's ped
mode for me.

Cheers, helen s

On Thu, 05 May 2005 09:17:29 +0100, Richard
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Shamelessly stolen from a cycle mailing list:
>
>Straw (no, not that one) poll: what's the cycle parking facilities like
>at your local polling station?

lovely. Polling station is local library, 3 (or is it 4)
Sheffield-type stands outside.

Not that I used them cos I walked there on the way back from taking
son to school. I know there has been discussion here before of
arriving by bike to show the party hacks at the poll that cyclists are
voters too. But as the only party hack at our polling station was a
green, I guess she knows that already.

Roedd <<Richard>> wedi ysgrifennu:

> Shamelessly stolen from a cycle mailing list:
>
> Straw (no, not that one) poll: what's the cycle parking facilities
> like at your local polling station?

Last time I got the Lib Dem candidate to look after my bike for me.

--
Rob

http://www.asta51.dsl.pipex.com/webcam/

This message is copyright Robert Bruce and intended
for distribution only via NNTP.
Dissemination via third party Web forums with the
exception of Google Groups and Microsoft Communities
is strictly prohibited and may result in legal action.

in message <[email protected]>, Colin Blackburn
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Richard wrote:
>> Shamelessly stolen from a cycle mailing list:
>>
>> Straw (no, not that one) poll: what's the cycle parking facilities
>> like at your local polling station?

> None. But is is a tiny ramshackle village hall down an unmade track in
> a hamlet with less than a dozen houses. Most of the population seem to
> be in their nineties. I'd be more worried about one of them breaking
> their hip after falling down the steps that with one of them having it
> away with my bike.

None really, but it is a fine stone built village hall in a community of
about 200 souls, is straight across the square from my house, and theft
is very rare in this part of the world. Oh, and there are railings
outside if you really want to lock it.

I'm fed up with Life 1.0. I never liked it much and now it's getting
me down. I think I'll upgrade to MSLife 97 -- you know, the one that
comes in a flash new box and within weeks you're crawling with bugs.

Richard wrote:
> Straw (no, not that one) poll: what's the cycle parking facilities like
> at your local polling station?

Wall. You dont expect a school to have cycle parking facilities?
A couple of crooks (party cronies) looked after the brompton though. They
looked at it as though it was some kind of martian space craft and told me
it looked nice.

> Straw (no, not that one) poll: what's the cycle parking facilities like
> at your local polling station?

P'ah ... lazy cyclists .... if they can't park their bikes right outside
the building ... you'd have thought they'd lost the power to walk the way
they try to avoid it ...

I did my bit to enable future voting fraud by voting by post. Then found
out that the polling station was directly opposite my house.

stupot wrote:

> Wall. You dont expect a school to have cycle parking facilities?
> A couple of crooks (party cronies) looked after the brompton though.

Veering off advertised topic onto a previous one, did you get the change
on the hub sorted?

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Peter Clinch wrote:
> stupot wrote:
>> Wall. You dont expect a school to have cycle parking facilities?
>> A couple of crooks (party cronies) looked after the brompton though.

> Veering off advertised topic onto a previous one, did you get the change
> on the hub sorted?
> Pete.

Not yet. :) Im waiting for the LBS free service after 1 month and then
another one at ~3 months. But it did jump gears again this morning. I defn
dont like the flick switcher as much as the twist-grip shift, as I have to
remove more fingers from the bars to shift.

However the bike is fantastic. Ride to work in morning in 30mins and then
take it easy and read a book in the evening on the bus. I am very happy.

dkahn400 wrote:

> Left it under their watchful gaze while I strolled in to vote Green.

I was intending to vote Lib Dem until I saw there was a Green candidate on
the ballot paper. I didn't know they had a candidate until this morning.

JohnB wrote:

> You <deep breath> trusted a...a...a... Lib Dem?

On polling day at least, I think you could trust /most/ of them.

I note on the Sun's front page (assuming Sun editions N and S of border
the same) has a picture of our valiant PM with a lightsabre. A *red*
lightsabre. Does this mean he has bought a recumbent bicycle? Or
perhaps it means... hang on! ;-/

Pete.