Pollution filter face masks & Asthma

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by danielstevens, Mar 28, 2003.

1. danielstevens

danielstevens New Member

Hello

I've recently been told by the doc that i may have asthma after being unable to shift a cough after a heavy cold. I've now become even more aware of the environment i cycle in & the pollutants chucked out by road traffic, particualy lorries & buses. As i live in london there are plenty of these about.

I'm now considering getting a pollution filter face mask. Can anyone with mild asthma recommend i get one of these or are they a waste of time? I really don't know much about them, if there is scientific evidence that they actually benefit asthma sufferers etc.

many thanks

Dan.

Tags:

2. ant evans

ant evans New Member

All I know is that they are a good way to slow yourself down. So only good if you are too fast ;-)

Very very bad if you have a cold, or hayfever. I leave you to imagine the result.

I am going to persevere, sort of, because of diesel particulates.

3. everprince

everprince Guest

go to http://facemask.cjb.net

and get an electric bike or electrify yours, I got a great deal on a charger bike from electroportal.com and btw to all you people who are suffering from dispair over your crashed harddrives (harddisks, hard drives) because you can't aford to fix the,, check out this guys insane "discount" at http://digitialnvestigators.net
    He is offering a low price (Extremely Low) on harddrive data recovery.

4. stevek

stevek New Member

Don’t waste your money I doubt those filters do much of anything. Filtering smog out of air is a hard chore. I have asthma and as long as I use my advair I hardly notice it.
    It’s hard to push on a hill as I get winded for awhile.

5. less'go

less'go New Member

It's tempting to get a mask, isn't it? Big city biking is often asphyxiating. I have looked into buying a mask, and this is what they say: These masks DO filter out the larger particles in the air, but they DO NOT filter out the finer particles, which are, in fact, the really nasty ones. So many say they're not worth it and don't work.

But you could say to yourself that atleast that means that you won't be breathing in the larger particles, which can't be great for you even if it's the fine particles that irritate the most. I figure I could do without the large particles like those in the thick black smoke that comes from buses and trucks!

Sara

6. everprince

everprince Guest

7. everprince

everprince Guest

Don't waste your time reading what stevek wrote, his opinions are worthless because that's exactly what he says it is, his opinion. He doubt's based on what? LOL NOTHING, loser.

What a time wasting jack ass, I hate loser jack asses like this who fart their opinions in people's faces and leave like the jack asses they are leaving people to smell their jack ass nonsense worthless ****.

Listen stevek the jack ass, if yo udoubt something keep it to yourself unless you have evidence you brain dead fart knocker worthless turd.

8. Chuck Bennett

Chuck Bennett New Member

I highly recomend the Respro mask. I have been using the Techno model for about 9 years. It contains a HEPA and an activated charcoal element. Contrary to the advice given elsewhere, It does work and very well. It doesn't impede your breathing at all, but, can be a little warm in hot weather.
    I live in the central valley of california; the worst place in the Country and maybe the whole world for respiratory problems.
    I have had acute asthma for about 20 years and had to quit riding. I even was disabled and had to retire from my job.
    Even with the new medications, I was unable to spend much time outside, but, with the the Respro and the new medications I am able to go outside at will and am begining to ride again.
    Check out: http://www.cutcat.com/page3i.html
    Good Luck
    Chuck
    [email protected]