Pollution filter face masks & Asthma

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by danielstevens, Mar 28, 2003.

  1. danielstevens

    danielstevens New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2003
    Hello

    I've recently been told by the doc that i may have asthma after being unable to shift a cough after a heavy cold. I've now become even more aware of the environment i cycle in & the pollutants chucked out by road traffic, particualy lorries & buses. As i live in london there are plenty of these about.

    I'm now considering getting a pollution filter face mask. Can anyone with mild asthma recommend i get one of these or are they a waste of time? I really don't know much about them, if there is scientific evidence that they actually benefit asthma sufferers etc.

    many thanks

    Dan.

    Tags:

  2. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    danielstevens <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > I've recently been told by the doc that i may have asthma after being unable to shift a cough
    > after a heavy cold. I've now become even more aware of the environment i cycle in & the pollutants
    > chucked out by road traffic, particualy lorries & buses. As i live in london there are plenty of
    > these about.
    >
    > I'm now considering getting a pollution filter face mask. Can anyone with mild asthma recommend i
    > get one of these or are they a waste of time? I really don't know much about them, if there is
    > scientific evidence that they actually benefit asthma sufferers etc.

    As I recall the general consensus is they do not help and may exacerbate the problems. The filters
    provide a resistance to breathing if they are doing anything but they quickly lose their
    effectiveness unless you change them extremely often otherwise you are breathing though a filter
    that is loaded with all the contaminants you want to avoid.

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to
    adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George
    Bernard Shaw

  3. Stephen \

    Stephen \ Guest

    "danielstevens" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello
    >
    > I've recently been told by the doc that i may have asthma after being unable to shift a cough
    > after a heavy cold. I've now become even more aware of the environment i cycle in & the pollutants
    > chucked out by road traffic, particualy lorries & buses. As i live in london there are plenty of
    > these about.
    >
    > I'm now considering getting a pollution filter face mask. Can anyone with mild asthma recommend i
    > get one of these or are they a waste of time? I really don't know much about them, if there is
    > scientific evidence that they actually benefit asthma sufferers etc.
    >
    > many thanks

    Purely my own opinion and based on my own experience (avoiding those who don't like helmets etc) but
    I find that if I cycle without my mask my lungs hurt. With the mask - filter changed about once a
    month - it's much better. I'm not an asthma sufferer so that may affect your decision but riding
    without one seems much worse to me.

  4. Terry

    Terry Guest

    > I'm now considering getting a pollution filter face mask. Can anyone with mild asthma recommend i
    > get one of these or are they a waste of time? I really don't know much about them, if there is
    > scientific evidence that they actually benefit asthma sufferers etc.

    I don't think there is solid evdence, but it seems reasonable not to breathe in more particles than
    you have to.Try it and see whether you can get to like wearing a mask.You could pull it down when
    not needed.Gas filtration is probably not going to be done effectively with anything less than a
    rubber mask and raplaceable canister filters.

    Much more cost effective to try industrial equipment.Your company may have suppliers you could speak
    to.Here is a link

    http://www.safetysupplies.co.uk/contact.htm http://www.safetysupplies.co.uk/trolleyed/5/index.htm

  5. Alan Oakley

    Alan Oakley Guest

    On 28 Mar 2003 21:00:22 +1050, danielstevens <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hello
    >
    >I've recently been told by the doc that i may have asthma after being unable to shift a cough after
    >a heavy cold. I've now become even more aware of the environment i cycle in & the pollutants
    >chucked out by road traffic, particualy lorries & buses. As i live in london there are plenty of
    >these about.

    The lorries and buses do throw out obvious black soot and this can cause problems, but the unseen
    pollutants NOx and CO produced by all engines, but mainly petrol, need to be filtered out as well.

    >I'm now considering getting a pollution filter face mask. Can anyone with mild asthma recommend i
    >get one of these or are they a waste of time? I really don't know much about them, if there is
    >scientific evidence that they actually benefit asthma sufferers etc.
    >
    >many thanks
    >
    >Dan.

  6. In news:[email protected], danielstevens <[email protected]> typed:
    > Hello
    >
    > I've recently been told by the doc that i may have asthma after being unable to shift a cough
    > after a heavy cold. I've now become even more aware of the environment i cycle in & the pollutants
    > chucked out by road traffic, particualy lorries & buses. As i live in london there are plenty of
    > these about.
    >
    > I'm now considering getting a pollution filter face mask. Can anyone with mild asthma recommend i
    > get one of these or are they a waste of time?

    I have had asthma since childhood (although it didn't cause much problems after puberty) - I live in
    Reading which can be as bad as London for pollution but have never found it necessary to wear a
    mask. The only time I remember people wearing these is in 1991 when that rave crew Altern8
    encouraged their wearing at parties ;)

    One thing to look out for is hay fever in the spring/summer, but I'm not sure if a mask improves
    things - as Tony it is also a resistance to normal *breathing*!

    I would keep such masks for if you are in the workshop using chemicals or other nasty stuff which
    you should not breathe in.

    Another thing I noticed when I went to the GP (my *only* visit in 2002!) to get hay fever
    medication, is that because I was an asthma sufferer she made me blow into the peak flow meter (that
    thing which measures your lung capacity). Now as a kid I used to have a nightmare with this damn
    contraption - but as a man of 30 (who only re-started cycling last year and before that wasn't
    exactly a health-freak ;) I could now blow the thing over half-way across the scale!

    The only thing that changed in my life was that I was now cycling regularly! Now please be aware I
    only fix bicycles, computers and electric installations and am not a doctor (any real doctors are
    welcome to add their thoughts), but I think the main thing may be to keep riding and improve your
    fitness, and perhaps this will make the asthma easier to live with.

    Alex

  7. You'll find that the cold, damp and perhaps foggy mornings will be "killers."

    The dense air will affect your lungs and make the asthma worse. I tend to use a Buff scarf over my
    nose and mouth so that I do not breathe too much cold air into my lungs. I have thought about a
    Respro mask but rejected the idea as the Buff does the job just as well.

    I would never have believed how the Great Smog could have killed so many people until I realised
    what an ordinary fog does to my lungs, let alone a sulphur rich pea souper.
    --
    Cheers,

    Wallace Shackleton. Kinross, Scotland.

    www.cyclekinross.org.uk

  8. Alan Oakley

    Alan Oakley Guest

    On 28 Mar 2003 21:00:22 +1050, danielstevens <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hello
    >
    >I've recently been told by the doc that i may have asthma after being unable to shift a cough after
    >a heavy cold. I've now become even more aware of the environment i cycle in & the pollutants
    >chucked out by road traffic, particualy lorries & buses. As i live in london there are plenty of
    >these about.
    >
    >I'm now considering getting a pollution filter face mask. Can anyone with mild asthma recommend i
    >get one of these or are they a waste of time? I really don't know much about them, if there is
    >scientific evidence that they actually benefit asthma sufferers etc.
    >
    >many thanks
    >
    >Dan.
    I don't know if you have seen them but there are six fools/intrepid people doing a thousand miles in
    a thousand hours finishing with the London marathon. One of them is an asthma sufferer and she lives
    in the Yorkshire moors somewhere. The run they are doing is over the marathon route and she is
    wearing one of respro masks, because she started to get bad symptoms when running in the polluted
    London air. The mask stopped her symptoms so it must do something. I would say that it is worth
    trying. I cycle/work in London every day and i think I shall get one now.