pollution/mask question

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by [email protected], Sep 20, 2005.

  1. When I first moved to a job in Oxford, I thought I could cycle in every
    day from my home 12 miles out. The air is the filthiest I have ever
    come across in a developed country. Can you get pollution masks that
    actually work and act as a barrier to particulates, CO and the rest? I
    haven't seen any specifically advertised for cyclists.

    Russ

    Tags:

  2. Bob Smith

    Bob Smith Guest

    www.wiggle.co.uk have a selection of them (search for mask), but I can't
    vouch for how good they are.

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > When I first moved to a job in Oxford, I thought I could cycle in every
    > day from my home 12 miles out. The air is the filthiest I have ever
    > come across in a developed country. Can you get pollution masks that
    > actually work and act as a barrier to particulates, CO and the rest? I
    > haven't seen any specifically advertised for cyclists.
    >
    > Russ

  3. Pun Krocker

    Pun Krocker Guest

    > > When I first moved to a job in Oxford, I thought I could cycle in every
    > > day from my home 12 miles out. The air is the filthiest I have ever
    > > come across in a developed country. Can you get pollution masks that
    > > actually work and act as a barrier to particulates, CO and the rest? I
    > > haven't seen any specifically advertised for cyclists.
    > >
    > > Russ

    Chain Reaction have them.
    http://tinyurl.com/bc8wn

    --
    d{ô_ô}b P~K

    "Some mornings, it's just not worth
    chewing through the leather straps."

  4. Pun Krocker wrote:
    > > > When I first moved to a job in Oxford, I thought I could cycle in every
    > > > day from my home 12 miles out. The air is the filthiest I have ever
    > > > come across in a developed country. Can you get pollution masks that
    > > > actually work and act as a barrier to particulates, CO and the rest? I
    > > > haven't seen any specifically advertised for cyclists.

    > Chain Reaction have them.
    > http://tinyurl.com/bc8wn

    although to be fair the OP asked "Can you get pollution masks that
    actually work?" so the answer is No. The OP can almost certainly
    reduce his/her exposure by varying route a little (often by cycling in
    the other side of a lane) but there may be unwelcome side effects in
    time and convenience

    best wishes
    james

  5. iakobski

    iakobski Guest

    I used the first respros in London.

    The standard exhaust valves tended to stick up very quickly with
    moisture from my breath, especially in winter, so I changed to the
    sports valves which were better. I imagine a lot of the initial design
    problems have been fixed, but for 12 miles e/w you would definitely
    need the sports version.

    Do they work? Well they won't remove PM5's, which are the most
    dangerous. Getting the seal around your face is difficult so they will
    always leak a bit. If the exhaust valves stick then the filter will
    fill with condensation and you won't be able to breathe. Don't forget
    you have to replace the filters regularly.

    They will remove a good proportion of pollution - I certainly noticed
    the difference after the first month or so. One time I was stopped
    behind a refuse truck and the cyclist next to me was on the point of
    vomiting in the gutter, I didn't know what he was on about until I took
    off the mask to talk to him!

  6. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    Bob Smith wrote:
    > www.wiggle.co.uk have a selection of them (search for mask), but I can't
    > vouch for how good they are.
    >

    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > When I first moved to a job in Oxford, I thought I could cycle in every
    > > day from my home 12 miles out. The air is the filthiest I have ever
    > > come across in a developed country. Can you get pollution masks that
    > > actually work and act as a barrier to particulates, CO and the rest? I
    > > haven't seen any specifically advertised for cyclists.
    > >
    > > Russ

    You need a gas mask to filter out the dangerous gasses

  7. "MSeries" <[email protected]> writes:

    > Bob Smith wrote:
    >> www.wiggle.co.uk have a selection of them (search for mask), but I can't
    >> vouch for how good they are.
    >>

    >> <[email protected]ail.com> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >> > When I first moved to a job in Oxford, I thought I could cycle in every
    >> > day from my home 12 miles out. The air is the filthiest I have ever
    >> > come across in a developed country. Can you get pollution masks that
    >> > actually work and act as a barrier to particulates, CO and the rest? I
    >> > haven't seen any specifically advertised for cyclists.
    >> >
    >> > Russ
    >> >

    > You need a gas mask to filter out the dangerous gasses

    That worked for Turing against pollen when he was at Bletchley ;)

    Chris
    --
    Chris Eilbeck
    MARS Flight Crew http://www.mars.org.uk/

  8. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    iakobski wrote:

    > They will remove a good proportion of pollution - I certainly noticed
    > the difference after the first month or so. One time I was stopped
    > behind a refuse truck and the cyclist next to me was on the point of
    > vomiting in the gutter, I didn't know what he was on about until I took
    > off the mask to talk to him!

    IIRC the research shows that they trap the pollutants and you then
    breathe in air passing over the trapped pollutants. Net result is it is
    actually worse in that you are breathing polluted air all the time
    rather than just in spells. They also have a very short period in
    normal traffic before they are clogged and cease to have any effect. BICBW.

    --
    Tony

    Anon

  9. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:
    > iakobski wrote:
    > >
    > > They will remove a good proportion of pollution - I certainly noticed
    > > the difference after the first month or so. One time I was stopped
    > > behind a refuse truck and the cyclist next to me was on the point of
    > > vomiting in the gutter, I didn't know what he was on about until I took
    > > off the mask to talk to him!
    > >

    > IIRC the research shows that they trap the pollutants and you then
    > breathe in air passing over the trapped pollutants. Net result is it is
    > actually worse in that you are breathing polluted air all the time
    > rather than just in spells. They also have a very short period in
    > normal traffic before they are clogged and cease to have any effect. BICBW.

    My experience is with the original Respro. I found them very hot and
    clammy so modified it a little to reduce the amount of neoprene in
    contact with my face.

    Generally they work well if you change the filters regularly (every
    week in London.) I also found it necessary to boil it up every month or
    so to remove the accumulated cold germs etc. Eventually I found the
    solution was to leave London and go to a city with far lower air
    pollution.

    ...d

  10. On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 08:36:43 +0100, David Martin wrote
    (in article <[email protected]>):

    > [...]
    >
    > Generally they work well if you change the filters regularly (every
    > week in London.)

    I'd just like to find one that didn't steam my glasses up on the exhale.

    Matt.