'Polymeal' Diet Cuts Heart Disease By 76 Percent, Extends Life

tcollins

Guest
'Polymeal' Diet Cuts Heart Disease By 76 Percent Extends Life
December 19, 2004

Scientists claim a diet that includes wine, chocolate, garlic, and
other tasty foods can reduce heart disease by 76 percent, and add
years to your life.

The diet, called a 'Polymeal', is most effective for men, adding an
average of 6.6 years to life expectancy, compared with men not eating
the meal.

The scientists also said eating the Polymeal will ward off heart
disease among men for nine years.

Women also benefit from the Polymeal. Women eating the meal can expect
their life expectancy to increase by five years and the Polymeal diet
can ward off the onset of heart disease by eight years.

The diet includes consuming fish four times a week, with wine, dark
chocolate, fruits, vegetables, almonds and garlic, eaten daily.

In 2003, researchers indicated a 'Polypill', which included a
combination of drugs taken in one dose reduced heart disease by more
than 80 percent. However, the researchers of the Polymeal study were
searching for a more natural non-pharmaceutical safer alternative to
the Polypill.

The scientists say the Polymeal is a safe an tasty means to reduce
heart disease and increase life expectancy.

The study appears in the British Medical Journal

>Subject: 'Polymeal' Diet Cuts Heart Disease By 76 Percent, Extends Life
>From: tcollins [email protected]
>Date: 12/19/2004 10:08 PM Mountain Standard Time
>
>'Polymeal' Diet Cuts Heart Disease By 76 Percent Extends Life
>December 19, 2004
>
>Scientists claim a diet that includes wine, chocolate, garlic, and
>other tasty foods can reduce heart disease by 76 percent, and add
>years to your life.
>
>The diet, called a 'Polymeal', is most effective for men, adding an
>average of 6.6 years to life expectancy, compared with men not eating
>the meal.
>
>The scientists also said eating the Polymeal will ward off heart
>disease among men for nine years.
>
>Women also benefit from the Polymeal. Women eating the meal can expect
>their life expectancy to increase by five years and the Polymeal diet
>can ward off the onset of heart disease by eight years.
>
>The diet includes consuming fish four times a week, with wine, dark
>chocolate, fruits, vegetables, almonds and garlic, eaten daily.
>
>In 2003, researchers indicated a 'Polypill', which included a
>combination of drugs taken in one dose reduced heart disease by more
>than 80 percent. However, the researchers of the Polymeal study were
>searching for a more natural non-pharmaceutical safer alternative to
>the Polypill.
>
>The scientists say the Polymeal is a safe an tasty means to reduce
>heart disease and increase life expectancy.
>
>The study appears in the British Medical Journal

Conjecture ..

Theory ..

http://www.newswise.com/articles/view/508922/

Proof ..

Description

McGill researchers have identified a new therapy that successfully improves
cholesterol levels. This regimen involves consuming plant-based oils and
exercising, and may benefit those at risk of heart disease.

Who loves ya.
Tom

Jesus Was A Vegetarian! http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com
Man Is A Herbivore! http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore
DEAD PEOPLE WALKING http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/deadpeoplewalking

"Mirek Fídler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "tcollins" <[email protected]> píse v diskusním príspevku
> news:[email protected]...
>> 'Polymeal' Diet Cuts Heart Disease By 76 Percent Extends Life
>> December 19, 2004
>>
>> Scientists claim a diet that includes wine, chocolate, garlic, and
>> other tasty foods can reduce heart disease by 76 percent, and add
>> years to your life.
>>
>> The diet, called a 'Polymeal', is most effective for men, adding an
>> average of 6.6 years to life expectancy, compared with men not eating
>> the meal.

> Do not see that it is a parody?

No, I don't. But I do get the feeling that *you* are an idiot.

http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/329/7480/1447

Philippic

"Philippic" <[email protected]> píse v diskusním príspevku
news:[email protected]...
> "Mirek Fídler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> "tcollins" <[email protected]> píse v diskusním príspevku
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> 'Polymeal' Diet Cuts Heart Disease By 76 Percent Extends Life
>>> December 19, 2004
>>>
>>> Scientists claim a diet that includes wine, chocolate, garlic, and
>>> other tasty foods can reduce heart disease by 76 percent, and add
>>> years to your life.
>>>
>>> The diet, called a 'Polymeal', is most effective for men, adding an
>>> average of 6.6 years to life expectancy, compared with men not eating
>>> the meal.

>> Do not see that it is a parody?

> No, I don't. But I do get the feeling that *you* are an idiot.

I am sorry that yout intellect is too weak to grasp it, but before you start
your diet of garlic and chocolate, please read rapid responses to the
article

http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/eletters/329/7480/1447#89688

Mirek

"Mirek Fídler" wrote:

> "Philippic" <[email protected]> píse v diskusním príspevku
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Mirek Fídler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> "tcollins" <[email protected]> píse v diskusním príspevku
> >> news:[email protected]...

> >> Do not see that it is a parody?

> > No, I don't. But I do get the feeling that *you* are an idiot.

> I am sorry that yout intellect is too weak to grasp it, but before you start
> your diet of garlic and chocolate, please read rapid responses to the
> article
>
> http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/eletters/329/7480/1447#89688
>
> Mirek

My guess is that for many, the stomach(taste buds) rules the mind :)

Hope my comments enlightens you and others.

Such is the work being done here for Christ's glory
(http://makeashorterlink.com/?U1E13130A).

Andrew

--
Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Board-Certified Cardiologist

**
http://makeashorterlink.com/?L26062048

What is all this about?
http://makeashorterlink.com/?K6F72510A

Is this spam?
http://makeashorterlink.com/?D13B21FF9

Philippic wrote:

> "Mirek Fídler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "tcollins" <[email protected]> píse v diskusním príspevku
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> 'Polymeal' Diet Cuts Heart Disease By 76 Percent Extends Life
> >> December 19, 2004
> >>
> >> Scientists claim a diet that includes wine, chocolate, garlic, and
> >> other tasty foods can reduce heart disease by 76 percent, and add
> >> years to your life.
> >>
> >> The diet, called a 'Polymeal', is most effective for men, adding an
> >> average of 6.6 years to life expectancy, compared with men not eating
> >> the meal.

> > Do not see that it is a parody?

> No, I don't. But I do get the feeling that *you* are an idiot.

Curious response.

Why do Mirek's sincere comments offend you?

Andrew

--
Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Board-Certified Cardiologist
http://www.heartmdphd.com/

**
http://makeashorterlink.com/?L26062048

What is all this about?
http://makeashorterlink.com/?K6F72510A

Is this spam?
http://makeashorterlink.com/?D13B21FF9

"Mirek Fídler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I am sorry that yout intellect is too weak to grasp it, but before you
> start your diet of garlic and chocolate, please read rapid responses to
> the article
>
> http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/eletters/329/7480/1447#89688

I already *have* read the variety of ill-considered, shoot-from-the-hip
blatherings submitted by, in several cases, the inevitable single-issue
nutjobs. I can only suggest that you get an adult to explain their
insignificance to you.

For sane readers, I might add that I am bothered by the '100g of chocolate
per day' recommendation; but unlike certain individuals, I will reserve
judgement on that until I've seen the literature that it is based on.

Philippic

"Philippic" <[email protected]> píse v diskusním príspevku
news:s%[email protected]...
> "Mirek Fídler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> I am sorry that yout intellect is too weak to grasp it, but before you
>> start your diet of garlic and chocolate, please read rapid responses to
>> the article
>>
>> http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/eletters/329/7480/1447#89688
>>

> I already *have* read the variety of ill-considered, shoot-from-the-hip
> blatherings submitted by, in several cases, the inevitable single-issue
> nutjobs. I can only suggest that you get an adult to explain their
> insignificance to you.

"As garlic is destined for mass treatment, few people will still notice this
after a while."

"Moreover, considering the disturbing adverse effects of garlic, we do not
recommend taking the Polymeal before a romantic rendezvous, unless the
partner also complies with the Polymeal."

> For sane readers, I might add that I am bothered by the '100g of chocolate
> per day' recommendation; but unlike certain individuals, I will reserve
> judgement on that until I've seen the literature that it is based on.

You still do not get it, don't you?

Mirek

"Mirek Fídler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Philippic" <[email protected]> píse v diskusním príspevku
> news:s%[email protected]...
>> "Mirek Fídler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> I am sorry that yout intellect is too weak to grasp it, but before you
>>> start your diet of garlic and chocolate, please read rapid responses to
>>> the article
>>>
>>> http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/eletters/329/7480/1447#89688
>>>

>> I already *have* read the variety of ill-considered, shoot-from-the-hip
>> blatherings submitted by, in several cases, the inevitable single-issue
>> nutjobs. I can only suggest that you get an adult to explain their
>> insignificance to you.

> "As garlic is destined for mass treatment, few people will still notice
> this after a while."
>
> "Moreover, considering the disturbing adverse effects of garlic, we do not
> recommend taking the Polymeal before a romantic rendezvous, unless the
> partner also complies with the Polymeal."
>
>> For sane readers, I might add that I am bothered by the '100g of
>> chocolate per day' recommendation; but unlike certain individuals, I will
>> reserve judgement on that until I've seen the literature that it is based
>> on.

> You still do not get it, don't you?

The BMJ site includes several articles written with a light touch. That does
not make them 'spoofs'.

Face facts: you're out of your depth linguistically and stylistically - and
as a result you are *wasting people's time*.

P.

Philippic wrote:
> "Mirek Fídler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> "Philippic" <[email protected]> píse v diskusním príspevku
>> news:s%[email protected]...
>>> "Mirek Fídler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> I already *have* read the variety of ill-considered,
>>> shoot-from-the-hip blatherings submitted by, in several cases, the
>>> inevitable single-issue nutjobs. I can only suggest that you get an
>>> adult to explain their insignificance to you.

>> "As garlic is destined for mass treatment, few people will still
>> notice this after a while."
>>
>> "Moreover, considering the disturbing adverse effects of garlic, we
>> do not recommend taking the Polymeal before a romantic rendezvous,
>> unless the partner also complies with the Polymeal."
>>
>>> For sane readers, I might add that I am bothered by the '100g of
>>> chocolate per day' recommendation; but unlike certain individuals,
>>> I will reserve judgement on that until I've seen the literature
>>> that it is based on.

>> You still do not get it, don't you?
>>

> The BMJ site includes several articles written with a light touch.
> That does not make them 'spoofs'.

I think that you are right, Philippic. While it is clear that some sentences of
the study are written tongue in cheek that does not mitigate the fact that a
Polymeal kind of diet would have clear benefits in preventing heart disease.

In the rapid responses some responders are criticizing the inclusion of dark
chocolate to the diet. I do agree that a dose of 100 grams of chocolate per day
is a large dose and might lead to weight gain. But still a smaller dose, like
50 grams, of dark chocolate might be reasonable. In the Polymeal study only the
hypotensive effect of chocolate is mentioned. However, dark chocolate and cocoa
powder have been found to prevent the LDL cholesterol from oxidation and to
increase HDL concentration.

About the effect of chocolate:

http://www.chocolate.org/polyphenols.html

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0887/is_11_20/ai_81102748

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/74/5/596

Almonds is an staple ingredient used in the cholesterol lowering diets developed
by the Toronto university. In the latest study of their *Portfolio diet* ,
published in the Journal Metabolism, it was found that the diet achieved a 35
percent decrease in LDL cholesterol in just two weeks, which is quite
remarkable.

http://www.portfoliodiet.com/p_press_nov03.php

The abstract:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=14624410

Some studies about almonds:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=11925464

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12221048

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12399271

--
Juhana

Juhana Harju wrote:

> Philippic wrote:
> > "Mirek Fídler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> "Philippic" <[email protected]> píse v diskusním príspevku
> >> news:s%[email protected]...

> >> "As garlic is destined for mass treatment, few people will still
> >> notice this after a while."
> >>
> >> "Moreover, considering the disturbing adverse effects of garlic, we
> >> do not recommend taking the Polymeal before a romantic rendezvous,
> >> unless the partner also complies with the Polymeal."

> >> You still do not get it, don't you?
> >>

> > The BMJ site includes several articles written with a light touch.
> > That does not make them 'spoofs'.

> I think that you are right, Philippic. While it is clear that some sentences of
> the study are written tongue in cheek that does not mitigate the fact that a
> Polymeal kind of diet would have clear benefits in preventing heart disease.
>
> In the rapid responses some responders are criticizing the inclusion of dark
> chocolate to the diet. I do agree that a dose of 100 grams of chocolate per day
> is a large dose and might lead to weight gain. But still a smaller dose, like
> 50 grams, of dark chocolate might be reasonable. In the Polymeal study only the
> hypotensive effect of chocolate is mentioned. However, dark chocolate and cocoa
> powder have been found to prevent the LDL cholesterol from oxidation and to
> increase HDL concentration.
>
> About the effect of chocolate:
>
> http://www.chocolate.org/polyphenols.html
>
> http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0887/is_11_20/ai_81102748
>
> http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/74/5/596
>
> Almonds is an staple ingredient used in the cholesterol lowering diets developed
> by the Toronto university. In the latest study of their *Portfolio diet* ,
> published in the Journal Metabolism, it was found that the diet achieved a 35
> percent decrease in LDL cholesterol in just two weeks, which is quite
> remarkable.
>
> http://www.portfoliodiet.com/p_press_nov03.php
>
> The abstract:
>
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=14624410
>
> Some studies about almonds:
>
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=11925464
>
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12221048
>
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12399271
>
> --
> Juhana

You've missed the truth in the paper:

http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/329/7480/1447

Hope reading (rereading?) this paper enlightens you.

Such is the work being done here for Christ's glory
(http://makeashorterlink.com/?U1E13130A).

Andrew

--
Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Board-Certified Cardiologist
http://www.heartmdphd.com/

**
http://makeashorterlink.com/?L26062048

What is all this about?
http://makeashorterlink.com/?K6F72510A

Is this spam?
http://makeashorterlink.com/?D13B21FF9

"Juhana Harju" <[email protected]> píse v diskusním príspevku
news:[email protected]...
> About the effect of chocolate:
>
> Almonds is an staple ingredient used in the cholesterol lowering diets
> developed

You are completely wrong in what you think this satire is about. It is not
arguing benefits of chocolate and almonds. Both are in fact probably quite
heart healthy.

Just a hint: Try to read it more carefuly and understand how they came to
80% CAD reduction claim.

Another hint: Try to google "polypill".

Mirek

Mirek Fídler wrote:
> "Juhana Harju" <[email protected]> píse v diskusním príspevku
> news:[email protected]...
>> About the effect of chocolate:
>>
>> Almonds is an staple ingredient used in the cholesterol lowering
>> diets developed

> You are completely wrong in what you think this satire is about. It
> is not arguing benefits of chocolate and almonds. Both are in fact
> probably quite heart healthy.

I live in Finland and the Polymeal study was commented here in the public TV
news by a Finnish Research Professor Erkki Vartiainen. He took the study
seriously and gave it full credit.

--
Juhana

Mirek it may be a spoof, but it has (ahem) truth. Stop looking for a
pill to fill every ill.

For the prototype medical journal doing satire, read here:
Canadian Medical Assoc Journal
http://www.cmaj.ca/
December 2004

"Auscultations
Acquired growth hormone deficiency and hypogonadotropic hypogonadism in
a subject with repeated head trauma, or Tintin goes to the neurologist
"

This from Xmas 2000 is my favourite:

Canadian Medical Assoc Journal December 2000
Pathology in the 100 Acre Wood: a neurodevelopmental perspective of
A.A. Milne
http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/163/12/1557

And for the best satire on the medical profession and medical research;
read here:

Harlot Plc: an amalgamation of the world's two oldest professions
http://tinyurl.com/5bedj

Zee
(eating grapes)

" He took the study seriously and gave it full credit."

And so he should. All satire has inherent truth.
Don't dismiss this message because it came coated in chocolate.

Zee

"Juhana Harju" <[email protected]> píse v diskusním príspevku
news:[email protected]...
> Mirek Fídler wrote:
>> "Juhana Harju" <[email protected]> píse v diskusním príspevku
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> About the effect of chocolate:
>>>
>>> Almonds is an staple ingredient used in the cholesterol lowering
>>> diets developed

>> You are completely wrong in what you think this satire is about. It
>> is not arguing benefits of chocolate and almonds. Both are in fact
>> probably quite heart healthy.

> I live in Finland and the Polymeal study was commented here in the public
> TV
> news by a Finnish Research Professor Erkki Vartiainen. He took the study
> seriously and gave it full credit.

That makes it just more succesful. Best parody is the one that does not get
recognized by many.

I guess authors and BMJ editors must be laughing big time now as they
succeeded in bringing media attention. They caught this monstrous machine of
"nutritional research" naked.

Mirek

"Mirek Fídler" wrote:

> "Juhana Harju" <[email protected]> píse v diskusním príspevku
> news:[email protected]...
> > Mirek Fídler wrote:
> >> "Juhana Harju" <[email protected]> píse v diskusním príspevku
> >> news:[email protected]...

> >> You are completely wrong in what you think this satire is about. It
> >> is not arguing benefits of chocolate and almonds. Both are in fact
> >> probably quite heart healthy.

> > I live in Finland and the Polymeal study was commented here in the public
> > TV
> > news by a Finnish Research Professor Erkki Vartiainen. He took the study
> > seriously and gave it full credit.

> That makes it just more succesful. Best parody is the one that does not get
> recognized by many.
>
> I guess authors and BMJ editors must be laughing big time now as they
> succeeded in bringing media attention. They caught this monstrous machine of
> "nutritional research" naked.
>
> Mirek

Such is the awe-inspiring power of the truth.

Hope this enlightens many.

zwalanga wrote:

> " He took the study seriously and gave it full credit."
>
> And so he should.

So we all should.

> All satire has inherent truth.

Correct.

> Don't dismiss this message because it came coated in chocolate.
>
> Zee

I would add that one should still recognize the chocolate, however.

Hope this enlightens many.

zwalanga wrote:

> " He took the study seriously and gave it full credit."
>
> And so he should.

So we all should.

zwalanga wrote:

> Mirek it may be a spoof, but it has (ahem) truth. Stop looking for a
> pill to fill every ill.
>
> For the prototype medical journal doing satire, read here:
> Canadian Medical Assoc Journal
> http://www.cmaj.ca/
> December 2004
>
> "Auscultations
> Acquired growth hormone deficiency and hypogonadotropic hypogonadism in
> a subject with repeated head trauma, or Tintin goes to the neurologist
> "
>
> This from Xmas 2000 is my favourite:
>
> Canadian Medical Assoc Journal December 2000
> Pathology in the 100 Acre Wood: a neurodevelopmental perspective of
> A.A. Milne
> http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/163/12/1557
>
> And for the best satire on the medical profession and medical research;
> read here:
>
> Harlot Plc: an amalgamation of the world's two oldest professions
> http://tinyurl.com/5bedj
>

> Zee
> (eating grapes)

Actually Zee the point being made is:

Stop looking to things (either pills or food or fill in the blank) for
happiness.

Hope what I have written enlightens those who need enlightening.