Pomegranates

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Dr. Edward Warr, Mar 13, 2004.

  1. I recently ate at The Barrio Cafe in Phoenix where they made
    guacamole at the tableside. It was excellent. One special
    ingredient was pomegranate seeds. Where can I order these at
    this time of year? Thank you, Edward Warren [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. Ypauls

    Ypauls Guest

    Pomegranates are one of the best fruits and are in season in
    late October through November. They are expensive at over a
    dollar each in the stores. The extracted juice is sold in
    specialty shops year round, though I do not think they take
    much care in the process - just turn the bottle upside down
    and look at the sediment. My absolute favorite jelly is
    pomegranate though it takes a lot of work to make it
    correctly.

    "Dr. Edward Warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
    > I recently ate at The Barrio Cafe in Phoenix where they
    > made guacamole
    at
    > the tableside. It was excellent. One special ingredient
    > was pomegranate seeds. Where
    can
    > I order these at this time of year? Thank you, Edward
    > Warren [email protected]

  3. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 19:56:54 -0800, "ypauls" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Pomegranates are one of the best fruits and are in season
    >in late October through November. They are expensive at
    >over a dollar each in the stores. The extracted juice is
    >sold in specialty shops year round, though I do not think
    >they take much care in the process - just turn the bottle
    >upside down and look at the sediment. My absolute favorite
    >jelly is pomegranate though it takes a lot of work to make
    >it correctly.

    If not sealed properly, pomegranate syrup becomes brown and
    sludgy from oxidation. Once you open a bottle, use it
    quickly; what was once red will soon be brown and ugly, and
    slightly more acidic.

    -sw

  4. x-no-archive: yes

    >Pomegranates are one of the best fruits and are in season
    >in late October through November. They are expensive at
    >over a dollar each in the stores. The extracted juice is
    >sold in specialty shops year round, though I do not think
    >they take much care in the process - just turn the bottle
    >upside down and look at the sediment.>>

    POM brand juice is very good.

    Yes, it's hard to get the seeds out of season.

    Naomi D.

  5. Stark Raven

    Stark Raven Guest

    In article <[email protected]
    news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
    Dr. Edward Warren <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I recently ate at The Barrio Cafe in Phoenix where they
    > made guacamole at the tableside. It was excellent. One
    > special ingredient was pomegranate seeds. Where can I
    > order these at this time of year? Thank you, Edward Warren
    > [email protected]

    You say you liked the seeds. The last time I served a salad
    with pomegranate seeds there was excessive spitting at the
    table. Rather than providing background info on dishes
    served with seeds, I've reverted to using pomegranate juice
    and syrup for sauces and dressings.

    Cortas makes a decent unsweetened juice. it's fuzzy to deal
    with and seldom red especially if prepared with broth or
    fond. Sadaf makes a great sweetened syrup that lasts a good
    long time in the fridge before settling to sludge. Turning
    the bottle upside down in the fridge reconstitutes it and it
    still retains it's pleasant color.

  6. Kalanamak

    Kalanamak Guest

    Stark Raven wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]
    > news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
    > Dr. Edward Warren <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > I recently ate at The Barrio Cafe in Phoenix where they
    > > made guacamole at the tableside. It was excellent. One
    > > special ingredient was pomegranate seeds. Where can I
    > > order these at this time of year?

    > You say you liked the seeds. The last time I served a
    > salad with pomegranate seeds there was excessive spitting
    > at the table. Rather than providing background info on
    > dishes served with seeds, I've reverted to using
    > pomegranate juice and syrup for sauces and dressings.

    <snip>

    Seeds aren't the same as the fruit. Any good sized
    Indian market will have them, and call them anardana. On
    line Indian markets will have them, too. They are not
    spendy. For more info see, of course, Gernot's page: http://www-
    ang.kfunigraz.ac.at/~katzer/engl/generic_frame.html?Pun-
    i_gra.html

    They keep pretty well, too. blacksalt

  7. Kalanamak

    Kalanamak Guest

    > In article <[email protected]
    > news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
    > Dr. Edward Warren <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > I recently ate at The Barrio Cafe in Phoenix where they
    > > made guacamole at the tableside. It was excellent. One
    > > special ingredient was pomegranate seeds.

    BTW, you are *sure* this wasn't pumpkin seeds? blacksalt

  8. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 05:03:41 -0800, kalanamak
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >BTW, you are *sure* this wasn't pumpkin seeds?

    A quick Google says that "pomegranate guacamole" is
    indeed real.

    -sw

  9. In article <140320040940135175%[email protected]>, Stark Raven
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > You say you liked the seeds. The last time I served a
    > salad with pomegranate seeds there was excessive spitting
    > at the table. Rather than providing background info on
    > dishes served with seeds, I've reverted to using
    > pomegranate juice and syrup for sauces and dressings.

    We just chew up the seeds. I thought that's what everyone
    did. Anyway, I've never run across anyone who separated
    the pulp from the pip unless they were planting or making
    juice. The juice, however, makes a delightful punch. We
    served pomegranate punch at our wedding.

    Regards, Ranee

    --
    Remove do not and spam to e-mail me.

    "The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord
    of heaven and earth, does not live in shrines made by man."
    Acts 17:24

  10. Koko

    Koko Guest

    On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 19:56:54 -0800, "ypauls" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Pomegranates are one of the best fruits and are in season
    >in late October through November. They are expensive at
    >over a dollar each in the stores.

    Snippady doo dah

    Gosh, when I was a kid the neighbor across the street had a
    pomegranate tree we had a lot of neighborhood pomegranate
    fights. I remember getting in trouble coming home with
    pomegratate stains on my clothes (lousy ducker) At over a
    dollar each now, wow, that was a lot of money lofted across
    the street.

    Koko A Yuman being on the net (posting from San Diego)

  11. "Koko" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Gosh, when I was a kid the neighbor across the street had
    > a pomegranate tree we had a lot of neighborhood
    > pomegranate fights. I remember getting in trouble coming
    > home with pomegratate stains on my clothes (lousy ducker)
    > At over a dollar each now, wow, that was a lot of money
    > lofted across the street.
    >
    > Koko

    I used to have a pomegranate tree in my front yard Koko. I
    almost never got more than three or four ripe ones. The
    neighborhood kids or the birds got the rest. I finally
    took it down. Never got around to planting another in the
    back yard.

    Charlie

  12. Alexbrown77

    Alexbrown77 Guest

    Yum, Pomegranates are so good. It is one of my favorite
    foods and I look forward to fall to when they come in season
    every year.