Pomegranates



D

Dr. Edward Warr

Guest
I recently ate at The Barrio Cafe in Phoenix where they made
guacamole at the tableside. It was excellent. One special
ingredient was pomegranate seeds. Where can I order these at
this time of year? Thank you, Edward Warren [email protected]
 
Y

Ypauls

Guest
Pomegranates are one of the best fruits and are in season in
late October through November. They are expensive at over a
dollar each in the stores. The extracted juice is sold in
specialty shops year round, though I do not think they take
much care in the process - just turn the bottle upside down
and look at the sediment. My absolute favorite jelly is
pomegranate though it takes a lot of work to make it
correctly.

"Dr. Edward Warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> I recently ate at The Barrio Cafe in Phoenix where they
> made guacamole
at
> the tableside. It was excellent. One special ingredient
> was pomegranate seeds. Where
can
> I order these at this time of year? Thank you, Edward
> Warren [email protected]
 
S

Steve Wertz

Guest
On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 19:56:54 -0800, "ypauls" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Pomegranates are one of the best fruits and are in season
>in late October through November. They are expensive at
>over a dollar each in the stores. The extracted juice is
>sold in specialty shops year round, though I do not think
>they take much care in the process - just turn the bottle
>upside down and look at the sediment. My absolute favorite
>jelly is pomegranate though it takes a lot of work to make
>it correctly.

If not sealed properly, pomegranate syrup becomes brown and
sludgy from oxidation. Once you open a bottle, use it
quickly; what was once red will soon be brown and ugly, and
slightly more acidic.

-sw
 
N

Naomi Darvell

Guest
x-no-archive: yes

>Pomegranates are one of the best fruits and are in season
>in late October through November. They are expensive at
>over a dollar each in the stores. The extracted juice is
>sold in specialty shops year round, though I do not think
>they take much care in the process - just turn the bottle
>upside down and look at the sediment.>>

POM brand juice is very good.

Yes, it's hard to get the seeds out of season.

Naomi D.
 
S

Stark Raven

Guest
In article <[email protected]
news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
Dr. Edward Warren <[email protected]> wrote:

> I recently ate at The Barrio Cafe in Phoenix where they
> made guacamole at the tableside. It was excellent. One
> special ingredient was pomegranate seeds. Where can I
> order these at this time of year? Thank you, Edward Warren
> [email protected]
>
>
You say you liked the seeds. The last time I served a salad
with pomegranate seeds there was excessive spitting at the
table. Rather than providing background info on dishes
served with seeds, I've reverted to using pomegranate juice
and syrup for sauces and dressings.

Cortas makes a decent unsweetened juice. it's fuzzy to deal
with and seldom red especially if prepared with broth or
fond. Sadaf makes a great sweetened syrup that lasts a good
long time in the fridge before settling to sludge. Turning
the bottle upside down in the fridge reconstitutes it and it
still retains it's pleasant color.
 
K

Kalanamak

Guest
Stark Raven wrote:
>
> In article <[email protected]
> news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
> Dr. Edward Warren <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I recently ate at The Barrio Cafe in Phoenix where they
> > made guacamole at the tableside. It was excellent. One
> > special ingredient was pomegranate seeds. Where can I
> > order these at this time of year?

> >
> >
> You say you liked the seeds. The last time I served a
> salad with pomegranate seeds there was excessive spitting
> at the table. Rather than providing background info on
> dishes served with seeds, I've reverted to using
> pomegranate juice and syrup for sauces and dressings.

<snip>

Seeds aren't the same as the fruit. Any good sized
Indian market will have them, and call them anardana. On
line Indian markets will have them, too. They are not
spendy. For more info see, of course, Gernot's page: http://www-
ang.kfunigraz.ac.at/~katzer/engl/generic_frame.html?Pun-
i_gra.html

They keep pretty well, too. blacksalt
 
K

Kalanamak

Guest
> In article <[email protected]
> news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
> Dr. Edward Warren <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I recently ate at The Barrio Cafe in Phoenix where they
> > made guacamole at the tableside. It was excellent. One
> > special ingredient was pomegranate seeds.

BTW, you are *sure* this wasn't pumpkin seeds? blacksalt
 
S

Steve Wertz

Guest
On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 05:03:41 -0800, kalanamak
<[email protected]> wrote:

>BTW, you are *sure* this wasn't pumpkin seeds?

A quick Google says that "pomegranate guacamole" is
indeed real.

-sw
 
R

Ranee Mueller

Guest
In article <140320040940135175%[email protected]>, Stark Raven
<[email protected]> wrote:

> You say you liked the seeds. The last time I served a
> salad with pomegranate seeds there was excessive spitting
> at the table. Rather than providing background info on
> dishes served with seeds, I've reverted to using
> pomegranate juice and syrup for sauces and dressings.

We just chew up the seeds. I thought that's what everyone
did. Anyway, I've never run across anyone who separated
the pulp from the pip unless they were planting or making
juice. The juice, however, makes a delightful punch. We
served pomegranate punch at our wedding.

Regards, Ranee

--
Remove do not and spam to e-mail me.

"The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord
of heaven and earth, does not live in shrines made by man."
Acts 17:24
 
K

Koko

Guest
On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 19:56:54 -0800, "ypauls" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Pomegranates are one of the best fruits and are in season
>in late October through November. They are expensive at
>over a dollar each in the stores.

Snippady doo dah

Gosh, when I was a kid the neighbor across the street had a
pomegranate tree we had a lot of neighborhood pomegranate
fights. I remember getting in trouble coming home with
pomegratate stains on my clothes (lousy ducker) At over a
dollar each now, wow, that was a lot of money lofted across
the street.

Koko A Yuman being on the net (posting from San Diego)
 
C

Charles Gifford

Guest
"Koko" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> Gosh, when I was a kid the neighbor across the street had
> a pomegranate tree we had a lot of neighborhood
> pomegranate fights. I remember getting in trouble coming
> home with pomegratate stains on my clothes (lousy ducker)
> At over a dollar each now, wow, that was a lot of money
> lofted across the street.
>
> Koko

I used to have a pomegranate tree in my front yard Koko. I
almost never got more than three or four ripe ones. The
neighborhood kids or the birds got the rest. I finally
took it down. Never got around to planting another in the
back yard.

Charlie
 
A

Alexbrown77

Guest
Yum, Pomegranates are so good. It is one of my favorite
foods and I look forward to fall to when they come in season
every year.