Pomfret fish- anyone tried it?

cockle_thing

Guest
Hello all,
Am I the only person in the world who has eaten Pomfret and loves it?
It is a fish I ate in Goa- very popular there. Unfortunately, it isn't
available here (UK). That's probably why no-one seems to have heard of
it.

Anyone out there enjoy a pomfret or two?

"cockle_thing" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello all,
> Am I the only person in the world who has eaten Pomfret and loves it?
> It is a fish I ate in Goa- very popular there. Unfortunately, it isn't
> available here (UK). That's probably why no-one seems to have heard of
> it.
>
> Anyone out there enjoy a pomfret or two?
>=========

I don't recall ever having it - but it looks delicious!!

Cyndi
(Who had shrimp & crab legs for dinner - no veggies, no bread... just shrimp
& crab legs! WOO-HOO!)

cockle_thing wrote:
> Hello all,
> Am I the only person in the world who has eaten Pomfret and loves it?
> It is a fish I ate in Goa- very popular there. Unfortunately, it

isn't
> available here (UK). That's probably why no-one seems to have heard

of
> it.
>
> Anyone out there enjoy a pomfret or two?

We've had it at a Thai restaurant in SoCal. It was a featured item on
the menu, and delicious. That would be a long drive for dinner, but
maybe your Thai restaurants in the U.K. have it, too.

-aem

cockle_thing wrote:

> Hello all,
> Am I the only person in the world who has eaten Pomfret and loves it?
> It is a fish I ate in Goa- very popular there. Unfortunately, it isn't
> available here (UK). That's probably why no-one seems to have heard of
> it.
>
> Anyone out there enjoy a pomfret or two?

There are, I think, different varieties of pomfret. While in South Asia,
have seen differentiation in size, as well as colour in the markets.

Here in the East Asian markets on the West Coast of the US, I usually
get the white/silver kinds in various sizes. There are labelled pomfrets
in a few places, otherwise referred to as pompanos.

On 9 Feb 2005 12:01:54 -0800, "cockle_thing" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Hello all,
>Am I the only person in the world who has eaten Pomfret and loves it?
>It is a fish I ate in Goa- very popular there. Unfortunately, it isn't
>available here (UK). That's probably why no-one seems to have heard of
>it.
>
>Anyone out there enjoy a pomfret or two?

Very nice. You can find frozen pomfret in Asian foodstores here.

Nathalie in Switzerland

Hi Cyndi!
It's great to finally find someone who gets as excited about seafood as
I do! Your message made my mouth water- shrimps and crabs with nothing
else sounds fine to me- why try to dress up a meal that is already full
of beautiful, natural flavours? Good for you!

"cockle_thing" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi Cyndi!
> It's great to finally find someone who gets as excited about seafood as
> I do! Your message made my mouth water- shrimps and crabs with nothing
> else sounds fine to me- why try to dress up a meal that is already full
> of beautiful, natural flavours? Good for you!

========

<Me - grinning and blushing>

I noticed that the pomfrets also go by the name Pompano (sp?).. I think I
have had that many, many years ago. If I did, I'm willing to bet I loved
it! I get excited about a lot of different foods. So far, the only thing
that I've had and didn't like (Okay - detest beyond hate!! LOL) was liver..
but then again - not totally because I can eat liverwurst sandwiches.
<shrug> Go figure.

DH husband teased me today about little Nathan and I not having any seafood
leftovers... :)

Cyndi