Pomona/Claremont Calif Bike Rental and Riding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joel Roth

It looks like I will be in the Claremont/Pomona area in November. My son will be looking a colleges
and I'm hoping to sneak away for half a day to rent a bike and ride, either Road or Mountain.

Any suggestions for places to rent? Any suggestions for places to ride?

Thanks.

Joel

joel roth <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> It looks like I will be in the Claremont/Pomona area in November. My son will be looking a
> colleges and I'm hoping to sneak away for half a day to rent a bike and ride, either Road or
> Mountain.
>
> Any suggestions for places to rent? Any suggestions for places to ride?

Renting will be tough. In a town with so much riding opportunity (I grew up there and got my early
experience on local roads) there should be some rental places.

But I just called three of the shops I used to frequent (Bud's Bike Shop on 1st Street in Claremont,
Coates on Foothill Blvd. in Pomona, and Foothill Cyclery, also on Foothill but in La Verne) and all
say they don't rent bikes and don't know anyone who does.

If you're just window shopping I recommend going into Bud's, which is close to the Claremont
campuses. Maybe you can strike up a rental deal with them.

How far do you want to go? Traffic has increased a great deal since I lived there, so be forewarned.
My regular routes included east/west streets like Foothill Blvd (part of old Route 66, and which you
can ride clear out to San Bernardino thirty miles to the east, if you're so moved); Baseline Road
(parallel to Foothill and north of it, now close to the new freeway), Arrow Hwy to the south, and
some north/south streets like Claremont Blvd., Mills, Indian Hill, Towne Avenues. N/S routes involve
hills but not outrageous inclines, though you can do some climbing if you want to head towards Mt.
Baldy on Mills Ave.

There are some rides through historic neighborhoods in Rancho Cucamonga to the east, and the Pomona
Valley offers some cycling opportunities.

Another local state university just a few miles away, Cal Poly Pomona, has a cycling club and may be
worth contacting for general info about the Pomona Valley and safe/interesting areas for cycling:

http://www.csupomona.edu/~cycling/

I don't kow of any similar cycling clubs on the Claremont campuses but you may uncover something.

Hope your son finds a college he likes; it's a wonderful place to study.

----
[email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.