just one wheel at a time - what would I do... Hmmm".

So - which is the most "important" wheel?? Front or rear??

I was thinking that if you bought a non-matching wheelset (one wheel at
a time), then you'd go for a light, aero front wheel, and maybe a
heavier, stronger rear wheel?? But if you could only afford one - which
would you get??

Cheers,
Abby

On 2006-08-04, Absent Husband (aka Bruce)
> So I was sitting on the bus last night heading home from work (not
> riding due to a bruised foot - nothing exciting, just being an unco
> gumby... *grins*). And as usual, was staring at every bike that went
> past, and marvelling at theoccasional bling that showed itself...
>
> Mind drifted to wheelsets. And I thought, "If I could afford to upgrade
> just one wheel at a time - what would I do... Hmmm".
>
> So - which is the most "important" wheel?? Front or rear??
>
> I was thinking that if you bought a non-matching wheelset (one wheel at
> a time), then you'd go for a light, aero front wheel, and maybe a
> heavier, stronger rear wheel?? But if you could only afford one - which
> would you get??

Depends whether you are currently breaking spokes on the rear. If it
ain't broke, don't fix it.

Vote [1] Bling for front.

--
TimC
> It was... weird. Death was smaller than I imagined

I have nothing to say, I just can't resist quoting this out of context.
-- Steve VanDevenver replying to Satya on ASR

Absent Husband wrote:

> So I was sitting on the bus last night heading home from work (not
> riding due to a bruised foot - nothing exciting, just being an unco
> gumby... *grins*). And as usual, was staring at every bike that went
> past, and marvelling at theoccasional bling that showed itself...
>
> Mind drifted to wheelsets. And I thought, "If I could afford to upgrade
> just one wheel at a time - what would I do... Hmmm".
>
> So - which is the most "important" wheel?? Front or rear??
>
> I was thinking that if you bought a non-matching wheelset (one wheel at
> a time), then you'd go for a light, aero front wheel, and maybe a
> heavier, stronger rear wheel?? But if you could only afford one - which
> would you get??
>
> Cheers,
> Abby

Don't even think about it dude, you've seen what Lotte is like with
mismatched tyres, what's she gonna do about your mismatched WHEELS?!

hehehe.

tam

Tamyka Bell wrote:
> Absent Husband wrote:

<snip>

> > So - which is the most "important" wheel?? Front or rear??
> >
> > I was thinking that if you bought a non-matching wheelset (one wheel at
> > a time), then you'd go for a light, aero front wheel, and maybe a
> > heavier, stronger rear wheel?? But if you could only afford one - which
> > would you get??
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Abby

> Don't even think about it dude, you've seen what Lotte is like with
> mismatched tyres, what's she gonna do about your mismatched WHEELS?!
>
> hehehe.
>
> tam

What's wrong with mismatched (I assume you mean different) tyres? Don't
certain mountain bikers run different tyres on the front and rear?

petulance wrote:

> Tamyka Bell wrote:
> > Absent Husband wrote:
> > >

> <snip>
>
> > > So - which is the most "important" wheel?? Front or rear??
> > >
> > > I was thinking that if you bought a non-matching wheelset (one wheel at
> > > a time), then you'd go for a light, aero front wheel, and maybe a
> > > heavier, stronger rear wheel?? But if you could only afford one - which
> > > would you get??
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Abby

> > Don't even think about it dude, you've seen what Lotte is like with
> > mismatched tyres, what's she gonna do about your mismatched WHEELS?!
> >
> > hehehe.
> >
> > tam

> What's wrong with mismatched (I assume you mean different) tyres? Don't
> certain mountain bikers run different tyres on the front and rear?

You'd have to ask Lotte. I use mismatched tyres, my race tyres are
different widths, my commuting tyres are different colours, and when
I've raced (run) recently and have dead legs I borrow Steven's totally
different rear wheel which has a 25 cog attached where mine only goes to
23.

Tam

On 3 Aug 2006 19:12:58 -0700, "Absent Husband"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I was thinking that if you bought a non-matching wheelset (one wheel at
>a time), then you'd go for a light, aero front wheel, and maybe a
>heavier, stronger rear wheel?? But if you could only afford one - which
>would you get??

When I upgraded from my Shimy WH-R550s I got the rear first because
the old rear was so heavy. Stronger and lighter.
TT tomorrow so I switching back to original front - way less spokes
and a slightl deeper rim and only a few grams more, may even stay like
that.

Andre

Absent Husband wrote:
> I was thinking that if you bought a non-matching wheelset (one wheel at
> a time), then you'd go for a light, aero front wheel, and maybe a
> heavier, stronger rear wheel?? But if you could only afford one - which
> would you get??

Abby, next time we ride together, let's swap front wheels (just for the
ride!!). Mine is a Record hub, 32 DT Rev spokes, alloy nipples,
Velocity Aerohead rim - near as light as you can get in a conventional
wheel and strong. You'll quickly work out the answer to your question.
I'll wager you will think your are on a different bike.

Donga

Absent Husband wrote:

> Mind drifted to wheelsets. And I thought, "If I
> could afford to upgrade just one wheel at a time
> - what would I do... Hmmm".

> So - which is the most "important" wheel?? Front
> or rear??

Depends on which of your current wheels sucks more.

Even better than buying a single wheel, why not buy a pair of really nice bling hubs and stick them on the mantlepiece, then wait until the SO has forgiven you, and buy some nice rims and spokes to match...

Cheers,

Suzy

Donga wrote:

> Absent Husband wrote:
> > I was thinking that if you bought a non-matching wheelset (one wheel at
> > a time), then you'd go for a light, aero front wheel, and maybe a
> > heavier, stronger rear wheel?? But if you could only afford one - which
> > would you get??

> Abby, next time we ride together, let's swap front wheels (just for the
> ride!!). Mine is a Record hub, 32 DT Rev spokes, alloy nipples,
> Velocity Aerohead rim - near as light as you can get in a conventional
> wheel and strong. You'll quickly work out the answer to your question.
> I'll wager you will think your are on a different bike.
>
> Donga

Abby,

if I were in your situation, and had enough money to buy some good
wheels...

I'd buy my daughter a bike that's not a Huffy.

Tam

Tamyka Bell said:

Abby,

if I were in your situation, and had enough money to buy some good
wheels...

I'd buy my daughter a bike that's not a Huffy.

Tam

Tam,

You are supposed to wait until he is down before putting the boot in.

Russell

ghostgum wrote:

> Tamyka Bell Wrote:
> >
> > Abby,
> >
> > if I were in your situation, and had enough money to buy some good
> > wheels...
> >
> > I'd buy my daughter a bike that's not a Huffy.

> Tam,
>
> You are supposed to wait until he is down before putting the boot in.

You don't have to wait if you can kick high enough ;-)

"Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> ghostgum wrote:
>>
>> Tamyka Bell Wrote:
>> >
>> > Abby,
>> >
>> > if I were in your situation, and had enough money to buy some good
>> > wheels...
>> >
>> > I'd buy my daughter a bike that's not a Huffy.

>> Tam,
>>
>> You are supposed to wait until he is down before putting the boot in.

> You don't have to wait if you can kick high enough ;-)

It's not that high either.