Pool Chemical Allergies

fsg0765

Guest
I am looking for suggestions on how to minimize the affects of pool
chemical allergies. When I swim in my local pool, I experience
sneezing fits for several hours afterwards. The duration of the
attacks seems to be proportional to the length of the workout. I do
not experience the sneezing after swimming in fresh water.

Are there any medications available (taken either before or after
swimming) that will alleviate this?

Thanks in advance.

Franklin

fsg0765 <[email protected]> wrote:

>I am looking for suggestions on how to minimize the affects of pool
>chemical allergies. When I swim in my local pool, I experience
>sneezing fits for several hours afterwards. The duration of the
>attacks seems to be proportional to the length of the workout. I do
>not experience the sneezing after swimming in fresh water.

would using a swimmers snorkel help?

maybe using one would allow to breathe air ABOVE the
pool surface?

fsg0765 wrote:
> I am looking for suggestions on how to minimize the affects of pool
> chemical allergies. When I swim in my local pool, I experience
> sneezing fits for several hours afterwards. The duration of the
> attacks seems to be proportional to the length of the workout. I do
> not experience the sneezing after swimming in fresh water.
>
> Are there any medications available (taken either before or after
> swimming) that will alleviate this?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Franklin

I found out that I was allergic to chlorine only after I started
training for triathlons. I would get repeated sinus infections. Then I
started wearing a nose clip during my pool swims and I've been OK since
then. Takes a couple of swims to get used to, but it's better than
sneezing and antibiotics. Might be worth a try for you.

Mike

[email protected] wrote:
> Mike Brocious <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Then I
>> started wearing a nose clip

> which brand and model nose clip you have?
>
> I've never been able to find one that stays on my nose
> and maybe yours is better

It's from Speedo and has the rubber band that goes around the neck.
That's the only one that I found that really works for me.

Mike

Mike Brocious <[email protected]> wrote:

>It's from Speedo and has the rubber band that goes around the neck.
>That's the only one that I found that really works for me.

Ahh...ok

I had the one form TYR and it was juts a clip only....
no band around the neck

It dos make sense that a band around the neck would
make it stay on much better!