pool maintenance question

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Lizzard Woman, Sep 14, 2003.

1. I'm not sure this is the right group to ask but here goes...

I have an indoor pool with a hot tub at one end that spills over into the pool by design.

Anyway, the pool is constantly tending towards low chlorine and very high pH. I'll dump some solid
    acid in and 2 hours later its in range. In re the chlorine, I am always forgetting to put the
    tablets into the well because we don't use the pool much because its always out of whack pH-wise and
    chlorinity-wise.... viscous cycle.

Complicating this is the fact that the thermostat on the heater doesn't work... its either on or
    off. So I'll put it on and the pool is comfortably cool in a while. But then I'll forget to turn the
    heat off. Getting the thermostat fixed will help the pH problem but I don't know if will solve it.

Some of the reading I've done indicates that it may be a problem with buffering capacity and having
    a high enough ionic strength (= total dissolved solids).

Anyway, this pH problem is really driving me crazy... we are going thru lots and lots of chemical to
    bring it down into range and I would prefer not to do that constantly. Do you go thru lots of
    pH-adjusting chemical?

Thanks in advance,

--
    sharon

"... I was starting to wonder if I was on Candid Camera!" -- Paige (Rec.Equestrian, 2003) "(of
    creationism) ... Only apocryphal tales told by goat herders around the campfire after it became too
    dark to continue to molest their charges." -- TvG (Rec.Equestrian, 2003)

Tags: