pool start question

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Carol Scheible, Mar 20, 2005.

  1. Hi,

    I am doing a beginner tri next month, which has a pool start. Do pool
    starts typically begin with a swim dive into the water? Just wondering if I
    need to practice my dive. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!

    --
    Thanks!
    Carol Scheible

    Tags:

  2. JOHN CORDELL

    JOHN CORDELL Guest

    Carol Scheible wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am doing a beginner tri next month, which has a pool start. Do pool
    > starts typically begin with a swim dive into the water? Just wondering if I
    > need to practice my dive. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!

    Seems like pool tris are fairly rare, but the ones I have done all
    started in the water. JC

  3. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Carol Scheible wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am doing a beginner tri next month, which has a pool start. Do pool
    > starts typically begin with a swim dive into the water? Just wondering if I
    > need to practice my dive. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!

    .... you don't get a lane each, you know! With 3 or 4 already in the
    lane, diving in could have pretty dire consequences :)

    Steve

  4. The only one that I ever did, I split a lane with one other swimmer.

    I think there were 12 people in each wave and the waves went off every
    12 minutes. 500 yard swim. You had 10 minutes to complete your swim,
    or they pulled you out to an additional lane. I don't know what
    happened there.

  5. >> I am doing a beginner tri next month, which has a pool start. Do pool
    >> starts typically begin with a swim dive into the water? Just wondering
    >> if I need to practice my dive. Any other tips would be greatly
    >> appreciated!

    > ... you don't get a lane each, you know!

    I know that I'll be doing 16 laps, up and down each of eight lanes. I guess
    I'll need to practice doing flip turns where I end up in the next lane.

    > With 3 or 4 already in the lane, diving in could have pretty dire
    > consequences :)

    Good point...I hadn't thought of that! I'm glad I don't have to do a
    dive...as I suck at that..

    Thanks all for the helpful comments.

    Carol
    --
    Thanks,
    Carol Scheible

  6. Billy Boone

    Billy Boone Guest

    We have a local race that has a pool swim - staggered start - person starts
    like every 30 seconds and they go up and back across the entire pool.
    Something to consider before the race is how to go from lane to lane (I see
    some jump over the lane divider) - I push off the wall and move from one
    lane to the other. So you have swimmers on both sides of the lane - with
    the middle of the lane for passing.

    "Carol Scheible" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:H%f%[email protected]
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am doing a beginner tri next month, which has a pool start. Do pool
    > starts typically begin with a swim dive into the water? Just wondering if

    > need to practice my dive. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!
    >
    > --
    > Thanks!
    > Carol Scheible
    > [email protected]

  7. Onne

    Onne Guest

    If you know how to do flip turns already. fine. If you have to learn
    flip turns don't bother taking the time, just practice pushing off.

    Carol Scheible wrote:

    > I know that I'll be doing 16 laps, up and down each of eight lanes. I guess
    > I'll need to practice doing flip turns where I end up in the next lane.

  8. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Onne wrote:
    > If you know how to do flip turns already. fine. If you have to learn
    > flip turns don't bother taking the time, just practice pushing off.
    >
    > Carol Scheible wrote:
    >
    >> I know that I'll be doing 16 laps, up and down each of eight lanes. I
    >> guess I'll need to practice doing flip turns where I end up in the
    >> next lane.

    Last one I did in this configuration, they were banned.

    Steve

  9. Onne

    Onne Guest

    banned the flip turn?

    Steve wrote:

    > Onne wrote:
    >
    >> If you know how to do flip turns already. fine. If you have to learn
    >> flip turns don't bother taking the time, just practice pushing off.
    >>
    >> Carol Scheible wrote:
    >>
    >>> I know that I'll be doing 16 laps, up and down each of eight lanes.
    >>> I guess I'll need to practice doing flip turns where I end up in the
    >>> next lane.

    > Last one I did in this configuration, they were banned.
    >
    > Steve

  10. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Onne wrote: