poor casing

phil2

May 29, 2011
During a ride in a limestone valley, I noticed my rear tube was poking through the tyre. The casing had worked itself away from the bead & the resulting butyl bubble was quite a concern, right up to the point it dramatically exploded. The tires in question were GEAX blades. I have fitted different tires now, but would be interested to know how common it is for the casing to fray so. Furthermore, the tyre was only two months old.

its common on cheap tyres, from my perspective
the only one thing where you should not spare money is: on tyres
good tyres are expensive but so much worth the investment !

Ok, well that last post was mostly ****. Look man you don't need to go out and spend $90 on a tire, while it is true that $15 tires are crappy you can get really nice tires for $40 to $45 on sale for $20 or so that will last a long time. The tires you got were not that great, sorry.

If you need a knobby tire the Kenda Blue Grove are great tires and look similar to yours, and their on sale at Price Point for $35, see: http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/17720-320_KENBG8-3-Parts-73-Tires/Mountain/Kenda-Blue-Groove-Tire-26x2.35.htm

If you don't need a knobby the Kenda Qwest is a very durable long wearing tire that is a wide smooth thread and you can find these for as low as $20. I have a set of these on MTB and they take off road as well as the trainer in the winter and have lasted 3 season so far without any signs of wear! Amazon has them for even less, see: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001C6BJK6/ref=asc_df_B001C6BJK61525268?smid=A3SNLLVFZ6ABAC&tag=nextagusmp0382305-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B001C6BJK6

There are a lot of good MTB tires, all you need to do is decide on what you need and shop the online stores for closeouts and buy name brand tires. Also if your unsure as too how good a tire is MTB review has reviews on most MTB tires and you can find out if their decent.

Originally Posted by Froze .

Ok, well that last post was mostly ****. Look man you don't need to go out and spend $90 on a tire, while it is true that $15 tires are crappy you can get really nice tires for $40 to $45 on sale for $20 or so that will last a long time. The tires you got were not that great, sorry.
aren't we talking about the same thing, buying good tyres ? if you can get them on sale much better then but you still need to know that you are actually buying good ones,

many years ago i said what the hell and bought the cheapest on display at the store thinking maybe they last long anyway, a complete disaster, waste of money and risking not even making it back home pedaling !

Originally Posted by vspa .

aren't we talking about the same thing, buying good tyres ? if you can get them on sale much better then but you still need to know that you are actually buying good ones,

many years ago i said what the hell and bought the cheapest on display at the store thinking maybe they last long anyway, a complete disaster, waste of money and risking not even making it back home pedaling !
I was being a jackass, sorry.

But my point was that expensive tires are not needed. And when I say expensive I mean purchasing $50 plus tires. Some brands like Continental rarely go on sale and when they do they only take off $10 and their priced fixed protected so you can't save any money unless you happen to run into a place selling last years models.