"Poor" David Millar

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Steve McGinty, Oct 9, 2003.

  1. World Champ. Over a minute and a half up. That was some ride.

    Regards! Stephen

    Tags:

  2. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

  3. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    Nick Burns wrote:
    > "Steve McGinty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> World Champ. Over a minute and a half up. That was some ride.
    >>
    >> Regards! Stephen
    >
    > Has everyone finished?

    Yup.

    They started at 90 second intervals and Millar not only caught his 90-second man (Nozal, and that
    must've been sweet -- Millar didn't even turn his head to look) but also his 3 minute man (Gontchar,
    who wears the rainbow stripes, too).

    Michael Rogers was very impressive.

    IGG fell on the final descent and had to abandon.

  4. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Nick Burns wrote:
    > > "Steve McGinty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >> World Champ. Over a minute and a half up. That was some ride.
    > >>
    > >> Regards! Stephen
    > >
    > > Has everyone finished?
    >
    > Yup.
    >
    > They started at 90 second intervals and Millar not only caught his 90-second man (Nozal, and that
    > must've been sweet -- Millar didn't even turn his head to look) but also his 3 minute man
    > (Gontchar, who wears the rainbow stripes, too).

    Wow. That is impressive.

    Thanks.

  5. On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 22:22:18 +0200, "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Nick Burns wrote:
    >> "Steve McGinty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >>> World Champ. Over a minute and a half up. That was some ride.
    >>>
    >>> Regards! Stephen
    >>
    >> Has everyone finished?
    >
    >Yup.
    >
    >They started at 90 second intervals and Millar not only caught his 90-second man (Nozal, and that
    >must've been sweet -- Millar didn't even turn his head to look) but also his 3 minute man
    >(Gontchar, who wears the rainbow stripes, too).
    >
    >Michael Rogers was very impressive.
    >
    >IGG fell on the final descent and had to abandon.

    Sorry, should have been "nearly" a minute and a half.

    1 David Millar (Great Britain) 51.17.3 2 Michael Rogers (Australia) 1.25.1 3 Uwe Peschel
    (Germany) 1.25.6 4 Michael Rich (Germany) 1.35.7 5 Isidro Nozal Vega (Spain) 1.39.5 6 Dario Frigo
    (Italy) 1.51.5

    Regards! Stephen

  6. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    "Steve McGinty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > World Champ. Over a minute and a half up. That was some ride.
    >
    > Regards! Stephen

    It just hit me, this is his first World's title, isn't it? After competing as a favorite for so
    many years...

  7. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    "Steve McGinty" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > >IGG fell on the final descent and had to abandon.
    > >
    > Sorry, should have been "nearly" a minute and a half.
    >
    > 1 David Millar (Great Britain) 51.17.3 2 Michael Rogers (Australia) 1.25.1 3 Uwe Peschel
    > (Germany) 1.25.6 4 Michael Rich (Germany) 1.35.7 5 Isidro Nozal Vega (Spain) 1.39.5 6 Dario Frigo
    > (Italy) 1.51.5

    Great job by Rogers and Nozal too (though we knew his form was good, still).

  8. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    "Steve McGinty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > World Champ. Over a minute and a half up. That was some ride.
    >
    > Regards! Stephen

    Also noticed his Nike skinsuit, it looks like the same technology used by USPS at this year's Tour.

  9. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    Was it this year or last that he had Glandular Fever (Mono))?

  10. Nick Burns wrote:

    > "Steve McGinty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> World Champ. Over a minute and a half up. That was some ride.
    >>
    >> Regards! Stephen
    >
    > It just hit me, this is his first World's title, isn't it? After competing as a favorite for so
    > many years...

    In light of some past posts on buying a new bike, this was interesting:

    From http://sport.independent.co.uk/general/story.jsp?story=451754:

    "A new £15,000 carbon bike, sponsored by the British Cycling Federation and specially designed for
    his time trial, had given him extra motivation."

    Shayne Wissler

  11. Shayne Wissler <[email protected]> wrote in news:LEkhb.532042 [email protected]:

    <snip>

    > "A new £15,000 carbon bike, sponsored by the British Cycling Federation and specially designed for
    > his time trial, had given him extra motivation."
    >
    > Shayne Wissler

    Its good to see the BCF adheres to the same prudent funding/accounting standards as the USCF ;)

    Dude would have won it on a Huffy.

    - Boyd S.

  12. Boyd Speerschneider wrote:

    > Shayne Wissler <[email protected]> wrote in news:LEkhb.532042 [email protected]:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >> "A new £15,000 carbon bike, sponsored by the British Cycling Federation and specially designed
    >> for his time trial, had given him extra motivation."
    >>
    >> Shayne Wissler
    >
    > Its good to see the BCF adheres to the same prudent funding/accounting standards as the USCF ;)
    >
    > Dude would have won it on a Huffy.

    Why not just go all the way and claim that he'd have won it on a Big Wheel?

    Shayne Wissler

  13. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

  14. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    Reminds me of the comment back in the late 70s that Merckx could have won his Tours on a bike built
    with stovepipes.

    "Shayne Wissler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:S%[email protected]...
    > Boyd Speerschneider wrote:
    >
    > > Shayne Wissler <[email protected]> wrote in news:LEkhb.532042 [email protected]:
    > >
    > > <snip>
    > >
    > >> "A new £15,000 carbon bike, sponsored by the British Cycling Federation and specially designed
    > >> for his time trial, had given him extra motivation."
    > >>
    > >> Shayne Wissler
    > >
    > > Its good to see the BCF adheres to the same prudent funding/accounting standards as the USCF ;)
    > >
    > > Dude would have won it on a Huffy.
    >
    > Why not just go all the way and claim that he'd have won it on a Big
    Wheel?

    > Shayne Wissler

  15. Sonarrat

    Sonarrat Guest

    "Steve McGinty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > World Champ. Over a minute and a half up. That was some ride.

    I feel like I was in the next room over when my baby took his first step... damn it, OLN, why?

    -Sonarrat.

  16. Racer X

    Racer X Guest

    Yeah, what a ride for the new "world champion." He beat everyone in the world except the best time
    trialers in the world (Ullrich, Armstrong, Hamilton, Vinokourov).

    I told you - the rainbow jersey is a joke because it's held in October and the top pros boycott the
    damn race every year. The only thing

    Take care,

    Racer X

    Steve McGinty wrote:

    > World Champ. Over a minute and a half up. That was some ride.
    >
    > Regards! Stephen

  17. Sonarrat

    Sonarrat Guest

    "RACER X" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Yeah, what a ride for the new "world champion." He beat everyone in the world except the best time
    > trialers in the world (Ullrich,

    Yes

    > Armstrong,

    Yes

    > Hamilton,

    Yes

    > Vinokourov).

    ...No.

    > I told you - the rainbow jersey is a joke because it's held in October and the top pros boycott
    > the damn race every year. The only thing

    > Take care,
    >
    > Racer X

    You don't think it's a testament to Millar's strength that he can still compete in October, after a
    full season replete with victories? He started as early as Armstrong and earlier than Ullrich and
    still kept his form up until WC time.

    -Sonarrat.

  18. "RACER X" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Yeah, what a ride for the new "world champion." He beat everyone in the world except the best time
    > trialers in the world (Ullrich, Armstrong, Hamilton, Vinokourov).

    <snip>

    Dumbass -

    He beat all those guys in the last TT of the TdF.

    A racer can only beat whomever shows up. Give him a break.

    BTW, I've been a critic of Crash/Quitter Millar in the past. But credit's due here.

  19. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    "RACER X" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Yeah, what a ride for the new "world champion." He beat everyone in the world except the best time
    > trialers in the world (Ullrich, Armstrong, Hamilton, Vinokourov).
    >
    > I told you - the rainbow jersey is a joke because it's held in October and the top pros boycott
    > the damn race every year. The only thing

    > Take care,
    >
    > Racer X

    Yeah, what a joke to have a nobody time trialist like Millar win the World's! He could never beat
    Armstrong, Ullrich or Hamilton!

    PS - Has anyone else noticed that the majority of ITT World's gold medalists have also won TDF ITTs?

    Boardman, Ullrich, Botero, Millar...who else?

  20. "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "RACER X" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Yeah, what a ride for the new "world champion." He beat everyone in the world except the best
    > > time trialers in the world (Ullrich, Armstrong, Hamilton, Vinokourov).
    > >
    > > I told you - the rainbow jersey is a joke because it's held in October and the top pros boycott
    > > the damn race every year. The only thing

    > > Take care,
    > >
    > > Racer X
    > >

    > Yeah, what a joke to have a nobody time trialist like Millar win the World's! He could never beat
    > Armstrong, Ullrich or Hamilton!
    >

    > PS - Has anyone else noticed that the majority of ITT World's gold
    medalists
    > have also won TDF ITTs?
    >
    > Boardman, Ullrich, Botero, Millar...who else?

    Indurain (Olympics TT)