Poor form or incorrect set up

vrotsos991

Feb 11, 2011
A heads up. This is my first year of serous training and group rides to begin racing. I purchased a road bike last year since i can no longer race motocross to get my feet wet. I rode by my self and this year i been doing 3 fast pace group rides a week and one of the guys mentioned that i was dropping my toes and had a raised heal on my down pedal. This only happens now and then. Normally i maintain a flat foot when pedaling, and sometimes my heal raises just so slightly and sometimes it is a pretty noticeable. Is this just a bad cycling habit that i have to kick, or is it that i may have my cleat too far back on my shoe?

It is common to comment on others form. It causes them to question their ability.

I think you need a few weeks off your bike, a bike fit, and a very expensive coach. ;)

Baseline cleat positioning is really one of the easiest adjustments to make. The fore of the foot has two protuberances (bumps), one on either side, at the base of the phallanges (yer toes). This is esssentially whats reffered to as the "ball" of the foot. A straight line can be drawn between the two across the foot. The pedal spindle should line up roughly underneath along this axis with the foot maintaining a neutral position. Too much heel out, no good, too much heel in and you'll be bashing yer ankles on the crankarm - your feet should be pointing in the direction your bike is going. Use this as your guide and you will have a good setup 99% of the time.

There are of course exceptions for various anatomies, and some people say for pedaling rquirements (sprinting vs. mountain biking, etc.). My two cents... baloney on the pedaling requrements. Dimestore experts start talking about adding shims, which may be neccesary but advice I would only accept from a licenced health professional and definitely not some guy who passed the online coaching test at UACycling.

As far as your "toe down", could be your pedaling style in which case who cares. It may be because you saddle is too high. No one can really tell without looking. But if you feel strong on the bike during rides, and comfortable afterward...