Poor Little Devolder

Tom Kunich

Guest
I wonder if Devolder had any excuses for breaking down on the climb like he
did.

I sort of like the guy but the problem is that any Belgian that looks like
he may get good is idolized to such an extent that they can never live up to
the press and many if not most of them become so sanctimoniously egotistical
that they're hardly worth thinking about.

On Sep 9, 9:01 pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
> I wonder if Devolder had any excuses for breaking down on the climb like he
> did.
>
> I sort of like the guy but the problem is that any Belgian that looks like
> he may get good is idolized to such an extent that they can never live up to
> the press and many if not most of them become so sanctimoniously egotistical
> that they're hardly worth thinking about.

He made no excuses that I heard. Belgium is a country of a little over
10 million people only. Cycling is a big part of their culture; so of
course they get excited when a promising rider does good. I was
surprised he cracked so early in the last climb but things were
looking promising after his time trial. You can say the same about
Monfort; he was not able to keep the pace as well after being in a
position to do some damage (he dropped to ninth overall). Could you
give me an example of how they seem "sanctimoniously egotistical" to
you?
I see that you don't like French riders neither, or is it French
people. How many other countries do you have a hatred for?
O.K...Devolder disappointed today, but is that a reason to belittle
him and to say that he's not worth even thinking about.
Give him a chance he could still make something good out of La Vuelta.
I think he may have over extended himself yesterday and had little
energy for today. In the future he may hold back a little and not have
such a bad day on the next stage.

Andre

"Andre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sep 9, 9:01 pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
>> I wonder if Devolder had any excuses for breaking down on the climb like
>> he
>> did.
>>
>> I sort of like the guy but the problem is that any Belgian that looks
>> like
>> he may get good is idolized to such an extent that they can never live up
>> the press and many if not most of them become so sanctimoniously
>> egotistical
>> that they're hardly worth thinking about.

> I see that you don't like French riders neither, or is it French
> people.

I don't know what gave you that idea other than my tweaking you guys now and
then. Actually I'm always pulling for French riders and my knowledge of the
French leads me to like most of them who are below the nose-in-the-air upper
crust. But then you can say that about upper class Americans as well.

> How many other countries do you have a hatred for?

Let's see, Iran with their drive for a nuclear weapons technology, Korea for
same, ....... Gee I've about run out of countries to hate. You've made a
point of hate yourself.

> O.K...Devolder disappointed today, but is that a reason to belittle
> him and to say that he's not worth even thinking about.

Devolder is still capable of becoming a great rider if he doesn't let the
hero worship lead him to believe that he is a miracle worker. Tom Boonen is
sure having a hard time trying to live a normal life and not get a swelled
head.

On Sep 9, 9:35 pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
> "Andre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > On Sep 9, 9:01 pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
> >> I wonder if Devolder had any excuses for breaking down on the climb like
> >> he
> >> did.

> >> I sort of like the guy but the problem is that any Belgian that looks
> >> like
> >> he may get good is idolized to such an extent that they can never live up
> >> the press and many if not most of them become so sanctimoniously
> >> egotistical
> >> that they're hardly worth thinking about.

> > I see that you don't like French riders neither, or is it French
> > people.

> I don't know what gave you that idea other than my tweaking you guys now and
> then. Actually I'm always pulling for French riders and my knowledge of the
> French leads me to like most of them who are below the nose-in-the-air upper
> crust. But then you can say that about upper class Americans as well.
>
> > How many other countries do you have a hatred for?

> Let's see, Iran with their drive for a nuclear weapons technology, Korea for
> same, ....... Gee I've about run out of countries to hate. You've made a
> point of hate yourself.
>
> > O.K...Devolder disappointed today, but is that a reason to belittle
> > him and to say that he's not worth even thinking about.

> Devolder is still capable of becoming a great rider if he doesn't let the
> hero worship lead him to believe that he is a miracle worker. Tom Boonen is
> sure having a hard time trying to live a normal life and not get a swelled
> head.

Do we say "swelled or swollen"? If Iran wants nukes let them have
them. You don't think they'll reach North America do you? They have to
protect themselves from Israel don't they?
Devolder was miraculous yesterday...at least for one day.
How did I make "a point of hatred"?

Perhaps you sort of like the guy because he's sanctimoniously egotistical
like you.

"Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I wonder if Devolder had any excuses for breaking down on the climb like he
>did.
>
> I sort of like the guy but the problem is that any Belgian that looks like
> he may get good is idolized to such an extent that they can never live up
> to the press and many if not most of them become so sanctimoniously
> egotistical that they're hardly worth thinking about.
>

>> O.K...Devolder disappointed today, but is that a reason to belittle
>> him and to say that he's not worth even thinking about.

> Devolder is still capable of becoming a great rider if he doesn't let the
> hero worship lead him to believe that he is a miracle worker. Tom Boonen
> is sure having a hard time trying to live a normal life and not get a
> swelled head.

Not sure if you're giving a backhanded compliment or what. I've been pretty
impressed with Boonen's ability to not only shoulder the responsibility that
comes with being a world-class cyclist, but also maintain the required sense
of, what, respect from the rest of the peloton without coming across as a
total jerk? I'm not sure how best to put that. Whatever, it seems to me that
Tom's a pretty well-balanced, halfway decent guy, all things considered.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

On Sep 9, 6:35 pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:

> > How many other countries do you have a hatred for?

> Let's see, Iran with their drive for a nuclear weapons technology, Korea for
> same, ....... Gee I've about run out of countries to hate.

<snip>

Dumbass -

Why hate them for that? After all, we have them. Enough to cause a
global mass extinction event.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

On Sep 9, 6:01 pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
> I wonder if Devolder had any excuses for breaking down on the climb like he
> did.

I wonder if Kunich had any excuses for getting dropped from the
touring club ride ? Maybe they will not renew his "contract".

On Sep 9, 6:56 pm, Andre <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sep 9, 9:35 pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
>

> > "Andre" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >news:[email protected]...

> > > I see that you don't like French riders neither, or is it French
> > > people.

> > I don't know what gave you that idea other than my tweaking you guys now and
> > then. Actually I'm always pulling for French riders and my knowledge of the
> > French leads me to like most of them who are below the nose-in-the-air upper
> > crust. But then you can say that about upper class Americans as well.

> > > How many other countries do you have a hatred for?

> > Let's see, Iran with their drive for a nuclear weapons technology, Korea for
> > same, ....... Gee I've about run out of countries to hate. You've made a
> > point of hate yourself.

> > > O.K...Devolder disappointed today, but is that a reason to belittle
> > > him and to say that he's not worth even thinking about.

> > Devolder is still capable of becoming a great rider if he doesn't let the
> > hero worship lead him to believe that he is a miracle worker. Tom Boonen is
> > sure having a hard time trying to live a normal life and not get a swelled
> > head.

> Do we say "swelled or swollen"?

Either can be used.

> If Iran wants nukes let them have
> them. You don't think they'll reach North America do you?

No, as a matter of fact I think they're going to reach Europe.

> They have to
> protect themselves from Israel don't they?

Yeah, if there's a real threat to Iran it's just got to be Israel.

On Sep 9, 7:38 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> O.K...Devolder disappointed today, but is that a reason to belittle
> >> him and to say that he's not worth even thinking about.

> > Devolder is still capable of becoming a great rider if he doesn't let the
> > hero worship lead him to believe that he is a miracle worker. Tom Boonen
> > is sure having a hard time trying to live a normal life and not get a
> > swelled head.

> Not sure if you're giving a backhanded compliment or what. I've been pretty
> impressed with Boonen's ability to not only shoulder the responsibility that
> comes with being a world-class cyclist, but also maintain the required sense
> of, what, respect from the rest of the peloton without coming across as a
> total jerk?

Absolutely, but you have to see that it can't be easy with everyone
depending on Tom to win every time out. That's what drove the later
issue Museeuw eventually to take dope - to satisfy his fans cause you
know that after you're taking dope you sure as hell can't impress
yourself any more.

Devolder is in the same position. He's good but cycling doesn't let
good be good - the fans demand perfection. When they start throwing
money at Devolder he gets the idea that he's special. Luckily cycling
has a way of dealing with "special" people.

On Sep 10, 6:34 am, Charles <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sep 9, 6:01 pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:> I wonder if Devolder had any excuses for breaking down on the climb like he
> > did.

> I wonder if Kunich had any excuses for getting dropped from the
> touring club ride ? Maybe they will not renew his "contract".

Devolder "dead tired"
Stijn Devolder is "tired, dead tired." The Discovery Channel rider who
lost the Vuelta a España's leader's jersey after holding it for one
day has now fallen to tenth place overall and has given up all hope of
finishing on the podium.
"I don't feel my legs any more," the 28 year-old told Het Nieuwsblad
after stage 10. "My legs feel bad. I have ridden too much this
season." He is still planning to ride the World Championships, but
that will be the end of his season.
"I am glad that today is the rest day," he noted. "I can load my
batteries again."

When Devolder beat the likes of Evans and Menchov and some other great
time trialists on Saturday, I thought he would hold his advantage. But
it seemed he was just missing a little bit of energy on that Hors de
Categorie, right at the beginning of the climb. Sastre's team attacked
from the very first moment. I don't think Devolder was expecting such
a ferocious assault. I don't even think TD would have been able to
help him.
He lost 5 minutes, and then the next day he lost 2 minutes. If he
would have been able to minimize his losses to a minute per stage he
would only be 1 minute and a half down on Menchov right now. It's too
bad, I really thought he had it. But like someone said in this group,
they really put a lot of pressure on the riders to excel and win it
all. But I think he still has done a pretty good job this year. Let's
hope he keeps his head and manages to improve a little at a time.
Maybe some great things will be in store for him next year. Who knows,
he may still win the world championship road race this year.

Andre