Poor Mans Rivendell?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by John Standard, Jun 30, 2003.

  1. Looking for a current production , off the shelf , non lugged steel frame with similar geometry
    to the Romulus/Rambouillet for non loaded touring. Ideally, frame could work both single speed
    and geared.

    Thanks in advance

    Tags:

  2. Bfd

    Bfd Guest

    "John Standard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Looking for a current production , off the shelf , non lugged steel frame with similar geometry
    > to the Romulus/Rambouillet for non loaded touring. Ideally, frame could work both single speed
    > and geared.

    What wrong with getting a Romulus. At "under $1600", you get a complete sports-touring bike that
    will serve your purpose.....

  3. Todd Fahrner

    Todd Fahrner Guest

    [email protected] (John Standard) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Looking for a current production , off the shelf , non lugged steel frame with similar geometry
    > to the Romulus/Rambouillet for non loaded touring. Ideally, frame could work both single speed
    > and geared.

    I seriously doubt you'll find near-identical geometry. But consider these as cheaper cousins of the
    Romulus (which, IMO, is very modestly priced):

    Surly Cross-Check (http://www.surlybikes.com/bikes/bikes.htm) Soma frames, built up as you like:
    http://www.somafab.com/

  4. Steve

    Steve Guest

    "John Standard" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > Looking for a current production , off the shelf , non lugged steel frame
    with similar geometry to the Romulus/Rambouillet for non > loaded touring.

    > Ideally, frame could work both single speed and geared.

    One could argue that a Rambouillet/Romulus IS a poor man's Rivendell, given the price difference
    between the custom Riv and the two production frames.

    And why "non-lugged" ?. Seems you're intentionally leaving out Heron, which is an alternative to the
    Rivendell stuff, as well as Bob Jackson, Marinoni and others who make frames with the more relaxed
    geometry you seem to prefer, but all whom build with lugs. No disadvantage with lugs I can see.

    www.heronbicycles.com/

    http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/FBeauchemin/

    http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/default.php

    http://www.gaansari.com/

    SB

  5. John asks-<< Looking for a current production , off the shelf , non lugged steel frame with similar
    geometry to the Romulus/Rambouillet for non loaded touring. Ideally, frame could work both single
    speed and geared. >><BR><BR>

    http://www.nobilettecycles.com

  6. Kevin

    Kevin Guest

    What is the budget for a poor man's Rambouillet?

    Surly is a good recommendation already said. So two checks for Surly. Why not a Cross Check and a
    Steamroller when the budget allows.

    Even lower? Fuji touring.

    Lower yet? Wait for more money.

    "John Standard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Looking for a current production , off the shelf , non lugged steel frame with similar geometry
    > to the Romulus/Rambouillet for non loaded touring. Ideally, frame could work both single speed
    > and geared.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

  7. Andres Muro

    Andres Muro Guest

    Ask Mark Hickey from Habanero to build you a custom made titanium bike with the exact geometry that
    you want for $900 bucks. It will not be steel, but titanium will perform just as good. Also,
    titanium will not rust so it will be strudier for touring in this sense. Also, titanium will not
    scratch and the paint will not chip because there isn't any paint to chip. The only negative about a
    natural titanium finish is that they come in one color, Grey. However, they will always look new.

    Andres

    [email protected] (John Standard) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Looking for a current production , off the shelf , non lugged steel frame with similar geometry
    > to the Romulus/Rambouillet for non loaded touring. Ideally, frame could work both single speed
    > and geared.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

  8. B

    B Guest

    > exact geometry that you want for $900

    $995 B

    (remove clothes to reply)

  9. Rick Warner

    Rick Warner Guest

    [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > http://www.nobilettecycles.com

    Peter,

    They do look like nice frames, but the price list seems to put them out of the range of someone
    wanting an alternative to a Riv Romulus ($1500 for complete bike minus saddle, pedals, and bar
    tape). Best I can tell from Mark's site it would cost $1475 for a frame+fork.

    - rick warner

  10. Rick Warner

    Rick Warner Guest

    [email protected] (todd fahrner) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > I seriously doubt you'll find near-identical geometry. But consider these as cheaper cousins of
    > the Romulus (which, IMO, is very modestly priced):
    >
    > Surly Cross-Check (http://www.surlybikes.com/bikes/bikes.htm) Soma frames, built up as you like:
    > http://www.somafab.com/

    Both nice choices, though a bit high through the BB (have a Soma Double Cross sitting in my den, so
    I am familiar with them ;-) ). Another difference is that the Romulus uses standard reach side pull
    brakes, the Surly and Soma cross frames are designed for canti's. Pluses and minuses to each, but a
    difference.

    My own preference if I was the original poster would be to save the pennies and get and Atlantis and
    build it up - but hey, that's me and I like the long stays.

    - rick warner

  11. Andrew Lee

    Andrew Lee Guest

    "Rick Warner" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > Surly Cross-Check (http://www.surlybikes.com/bikes/bikes.htm) Soma frames, built up as you like:
    > > http://www.somafab.com/
    >
    > Both nice choices, though a bit high through the BB (have a Soma Double Cross sitting in my den,
    > so I am familiar with them ;-) ). Another difference is that the Romulus uses standard reach side
    > pull brakes, the Surly and Soma cross frames are designed for canti's. Pluses and minuses to each,
    > but a difference.

    Another budget alternative from Surly is the Pacer http://www.surlybikes.com/frames/pacer.htm

    It uses standard or long reach calipers with room for 32 mm tires or 28 mm with fenders, has BB drop
    of 72 mm (compared to 66 mm for the Cross-Check), but has shorter stays (41.5 cm).

  12. Rick Warner

    Rick Warner Guest

    [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > rick-<< Best I can tell from Mark's site it would cost $1475 for a frame+fork. >><BR><BR>
    >
    > tig framesets start at $1150.pure custom...

    That is not clear on the price list posted on the web site. Do not need to sell me; I have my custom
    steel tourer in the works (frame/fork is done, waiting for parts). That said, if the original poster
    is balking at the price of a Riv, $950 or whatever for the Rambouillet or Atlantis frameset, I doubt
    they will buy off on $1150 for a custom. Of course, they might be happier with the custom ;-)

    - rick warner

  13. Thanks to all for the feedback. As far as I know , the only suggestion that meets all the criteria
    of a current production , off the shelf , non lugged steel frame with similar geometry to the
    Romulus/Rambouillet,that ideally could work both single speed and geared is the Surly Cross-Check.
    And it's within my budget. I'll check it out. Thanks again.

  14. Tim McNamara

    Tim McNamara Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Rick
    Warner) wrote:

    > if the original poster is balking at the price of a Riv, $950 or whatever for the Rambouillet or
    > Atlantis frameset, I doubt they will buy off on $1150 for a custom.

    A nice reminder of the difference between how enthusiasts view buying equipment (for any hobby)
    compared to non-enthusiasts. A $3000 bike to an enthusiast is often a reasonable to good deal- but
    to a non-enthusiast it is insane.

    But then like many in this newsgroup, most of my bikes are each worth more than my car.

  15. John Standard wrote:

    > Pacer needs the Surly Singleator ; Cross-Check is single speed out of the box.

    Nah, the Singleator and similar kludges are obsolte since the introduction of the White Industries
    ENO eccentric hub.

    See: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/white-hubs.html

    and: http://sheldonbrown.org/rambouillet

    Sheldon "Eccentric" Brown +------------------------------------------+
    | To have doubted one's first principles | is the mark of a civilized man. | -- Oliver Wendell
    | Holmes |
    +------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

  16. On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 13:50:53 -0400, Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Nah, the Singleator and similar kludges are obsolte since the introduction of the White Industries
    >ENO eccentric hub.

    Well, okay, maybe, but being locked into a single manufacturer of stuff is never good. It may be
    superbly engineered, but IMHO even the eccentric hub is still a kludge to compensate for not having
    vertical dropouts.

    Jasper

  17. Rick Warner

    Rick Warner Guest

    [email protected] (John Standard) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Thanks to all for the feedback. As far as I know , the only suggestion that meets all the criteria
    > of a current production , off the shelf , non lugged steel frame with similar geometry to the
    > Romulus/Rambouillet,that ideally could work both single speed and geared is the Surly Cross-Check.
    > And it's within my budget. I'll check it out. Thanks again.

    Still curious as to why the non-lugged requirement. Is it price, or do you not like the look?

    - rick warner

  18. > Still curious as to why the non-lugged requirement. Is it price, or do you not like the look?

    > - rick warner

    It is price.

  19. Phil B

    Phil B Guest

    On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 19:51:37 GMT, Jasper Janssen <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 13:50:53 -0400, Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Nah, the Singleator and similar kludges are obsolte since the introduction of the White Industries
    >>ENO eccentric hub.
    >
    >Well, okay, maybe, but being locked into a single manufacturer of stuff is never good. It may be
    >superbly engineered, but IMHO even the eccentric hub is still a kludge to compensate for not having
    >vertical dropouts.

    I'm thinking Jasper meant horizontal dropouts, but regardless I would be interesting in hearing from
    anyone with experience with this "kludge." Looks like an interesting innovation.

    Phil

  20. On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 23:48:14 -0700, Phil B <[email protected]> wrote:
    >On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 19:51:37 GMT, Jasper Janssen <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>Well, okay, maybe, but being locked into a single manufacturer of stuff is never good. It may be
    >>superbly engineered, but IMHO even the eccentric hub is still a kludge to compensate for not
    >>having vertical dropouts.
    >
    >I'm thinking Jasper meant horizontal dropouts, but regardless I would

    Oh. D'oh. 'Course I did. Or maybe I mean to not say "not". Either way, my mistake.

    >be interesting in hearing from anyone with experience with this "kludge." Looks like an interesting
    >innovation.

    That'd be Sheldon Brown over there, and I do agree the things look gorgeous and very effective from
    the photos. My main concern is that one day down the road when it does fail, it or a similar product
    might not be made any more, but I do recognise that if you for some reason want to make a
    singlespeeder out of a vertical dropout equipped frame, that's the way to go. Personally I'd try
    very hard to find a frame with horizontal slots, especially because of the geared hub thing.

    Jasper