Poor misguided Lister Farrar

Fausto Coppied

New Member
Aug 17, 2006
I see on the Canadian cyclist web site forum (www.canadiancyclist.com) Lister Farrar is applauding Pierre Blanchard’s anti-doping work and his role at the Tour of California:

“I thought it worth noting that CCA President Dr. Pierre Blanchard was the chief anti-doping official at the Tour of California, and a central figure in the new chaperone system the UCI implemented (finally) there.”, wrote Lister Farrar*.

I wonder if while he was at the big international pro road race in California, Pierre Blanchard asked himself when, if ever, Canada will once again have such an event?

Lister thinks people should write Pierre Blanchard, the President of the Canadian Cycling Association, if you like what he is doing. I suppose you can write if you don’t like what he is doing as well?

Lister, what Pierre Blanchard is doing is continuing to oversee the demise of the Canadian Cycling Association. And I had such high hopes for him. Instead of being off in California working for a big race he should be back in Canada looking after his own problems. For instance, it appears Pierre has not bothered to post his Annual Report, none of the 2007 Financials of the CCA are posted on their web site, neither are those of 2006. What is posted goes back to 2005!

I mean the sport is doing so poorly across Canada you have to wonder if Blanchard, the old Separatist, is trying to kill it. Blanchard is responsible, along with his predecessor Bill Kinash ( I think Kinash’s excuse was just pure incompetence) for hiring Lorraine Lafrenière as Director General of the CCA. Lafrenière has no cycling background whatsoever. She has no background in organizing any kind of sporting event at all. She came for a Coaching Association which really does very little in terms of marketing or organizing a sport itself. Blanchard, along with Kinash overlooked Farrar for the CCA leadership position, twice, I think. At least Lister would have known something about the sport going into the job, unlike Lafrenière who knew nothing. Canada has to be the only cycling federation in the world to appoint as its top employee somebody without any experience in the sport. Only in Canada, where mediocrity is rewarded with promotion, could such stupidity be possible.

Lafrenière is suppose to have a public relations and marketing background, yet the CCA has been devoid of any marketing results for five years and the communications have been atrocious. For months and it appeared the CCA was dead in the water, nothing seemed to be happening.

As spring quickly approaches there are no new events , no new sponsors, next to nothing at all happening, except maybe a law suit for the mismanagement of the 2007 BMX World championships in British Columbia, another fiasco initiated and overseen by Bill Kinash resulting in the loss of hundreds of thousands of dollars and creditors left holding the bag. Like CBC television who are owed over $40,000, like many others.

How Lister Farrar can find anything to applaud Blanchard for is beyond me. Lister must need more grant money or have some new program to sell the CCA. One of his pet projects, like Sprockids, which has yielded next to nothing (they had about 10 (ten) kids at the “National” Cycling Center in Hamilton, ON, pop. 500,000!), must be coming up for renewal.

Lister you are now officially part of the problem. You have been for awhile. Do you ever wonder when that happened? Was it just a slow, slide down a slippery slope or did you wake up one morning and realize it all of a sudden?

Too bad, it is really such a shame to see so much potential go down the drain.

*While I have known Lister Farrar for at least 20 years for those of you that don’t: http://www.zoominfo.com/Search/PersonDetail.aspx?PersonID=-333385

You can email Lister at [email protected], Pierre Blanchard at [email protected], I think Lister had it wrong with [email protected]

Too bad Lister doesn't want to discuss this on this forum and as many of you know I am banned from CanadianCyclist and Pedal Magazine, I dobt anybody can really say why , btu that's beside the point.

Anyway here, Lister responds:

Hi all:

Sorry to spam you all, and for getting sucked in to Ed’s rant, but I felt I needed to clarify a few things in Ed’s note. (Talk about the kiss of death and damned by faint praise, all in the same message.)

I think Pierre deserves credit for tackling a difficult job, and for his previous stands on doping re Jeanson. Because I don’t want cycling to run itself into the ground, and I think it is, though for different reasons than Ed. One thing Ed and I agree on is the sport needs leadership; up until now, there haven’t been many willing to lead on doping. I don’t think there’s much point in hard-selling the sport in Canadian corporate boardrooms until we have this doping issue under control. Men’s pro road is the worst offender Ed, and as a pro road advocate, you have never acknowledged this. So from that perspective, I suggest Pierre is doing exactly what Canadian, and indeed world cycling needs. And at least one thing we can be sure of, Lorraine has had nothing to do with the doping mess that cycling has, which is a big step up in my books than standing by tolerating it. Can you say the same Ed?

And to clarify further Ed’s imperfect memory:

I supported Sprockids at first on principle; Doug’s program has lots of good ideas and approaches to kid’s cycling, and I have organized an elementary school club for five years with 50+ kids a year based on several of his ideas

I was offered and started a contract regarding Sprockids with the CCA, but pulled out when the project was going against the direction of the committee I chaired at the time. I did not receive any compensation

I have finished my terms as Development Committee chair, and did not run again

I don’t want to run again

I am not seeking any work or money for anything from the CCA or any organization with which it has influence

I am not seeking any position with the CCA

Thanks

Lister

Lister, I have acknowledged doping is a problem in cycling as in ALL OTHER SPORTS, especially pro sports. As the US Congress is finding out it is just as bad, if not worse, in baseball as anywhere else.

Sure, Blanchard's anti-doping efforts are welcome but if something is not done soon to improve the state of competitive cycling in Canada doping will be a moot point because the sport will not exist.

I was amused by Lister’s comment, “And at least one thing we can be sure of, Lorraine has had nothing to do with the doping mess that cycling has, which is a big step up in my books than standing by tolerating it”. Is that it, Lister, that’s all you can offer to support her role in the sport??? Geesh!!!

The sport needs leadership on all kinds of things Lister and doping is just one of them. Where is the leadership on all the other problems?

As for my memory Lister, it is anything but imperfect. Sure, I’m aware of the Sprockids programs and its success in getting little kids involved in BC. That is about the only place it has succeeded. We know how dismally it failed in Hamilton. Lister and I have always disagreed on what Sprockids will accomplish even if successful. Getting 500,000 little kids involved in a sport doesn’t mean it will be successful in terms of sponsorship or international results, just look at Soccer Canada. It has all kinds of little kids playing, 500,000 + but once those kids grow up they have little or nothing to do with the sport and sponsors at a pro level in Canada even less, except for Saputo in Montreal but Quebec is always the exception isn’t it!

If my memory serves, I have emails I can pull up from Lister from three years ago or so offering me information and insider knowledge for me to use because he didn’t want to say anything himself because he had certain projects he needed support from Kinash with. I can post those emails if Lister’s memory needs some jarring.

If my memory also serves Lister had some on-line training programs, volunteer management software and other software packages he was offering to CCA and Hamilton 2003. So, while he may say he no longer has any irons in the fire at the CCA right now that was certainly not the case in the past. Lister, like Pierre Hutsebaut, Rob Jones and many others, he was not above using the CCA to butter his bread when possible.

I’m not sure where Lister and Tim stand on that $10,000 or so they owed the CCA in the past? Maybe Lister can fill us in?

While Lister is not now running for any positions with the CCA now he did apply as Executive Director when Steve Lacelle was selected (another guy with no cycling background that lasted about 18 months, just as I predicted. If we are lucky Lorraine Lafrenière will only last that long too)

Lister, keep in mind while you think my memory might not be perfect, it is broad and deep and I never throw anything away. I can look into my files to back up every statement I make and more. I don’t only know where the bodies are buried, I’ve got roads maps to get you there……..

As I stated before, Lister could have played a role in changing things, he could have spoken out, as could have Bret Stewart and few others. They all chose to remain silent or worse collaborate rather than speaking out and changing things.

That is how and why we now find our sport in this very sorry state. Keep in mind the best thing Lister Farrar could offer about Lorraine Lafrenière was that she not part of the doping problem. Boy, that’s reassuring. Is there anything positive that she can actually do? We all know there are plenty of things she hasn't done, doesn’t do or didn’t get involved in. A lack of involvement seems to be her foremost characteristic and only attribute.

What an embarrassing mess. What has been done to the sport of cycling in Canada by bureaucrats and pencil pushers is not insult and injury to the riders, an insult and injury.

Subject: Lister asks for a retraction.

Lister has asked I retract the comment that either he or Tim (his) brother owe(d) the CCA about $10,000 from unpaid organizer fees stemming from the old Canadian Tire Series & Cup.

Since I do not have any written proof to this, it came up in a conversation with Pierre Hutsebaut back in 2003 who told me they needed to pay that money back before they could organize new events and we all know Hutsebaut himself is not the most reliable source of information, and since I don’t care one way or another, sure I’ll acquiesce to Lister’s request.

So, Lister or Tim do not owe the CCA $10,000.

Of course, if I anybody has information to the contrary just let us know.

Obviously, I stand by all my other comments.

Ed A.