Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Poor shifting in 8/9/10 - Solved!

Started by D'ohBoy · · Last activity · 2 posts · 290 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
18 August 2007
Last activity
18 August 2007
Original author
D'ohBoy
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
290
Views / 30 days
2

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. So I had been tolerating some moderate noise from the #'s 8/9/10 cogs
    in the back as I rarely get in them and when I do, I am usually riding
    too hard to notice.

    But last night it really started to bother me. For some reason, I
    thought of the donuts I put on my shift cables along the down tube.
    Tipped the bike up and AYUP! The bottom donut on the rear shift cable
    was up against the bb shell. So as I fed cable to the shifter by
    shifting to a higher gear, the donut would bind the cable - binding
    more and more as the cable pulled it tighter to the bb shell. Rubber
    donuts do not a good cable guide make!

    And I thought I had a chain line problem.

    D'ohBoy

  2. In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    D'ohBoy said:

    So I had been tolerating some moderate noise from the #'s 8/9/10 cogs
    in the back as I rarely get in them and when I do, I am usually riding
    too hard to notice.

    But last night it really started to bother me. For some reason, I
    thought of the donuts I put on my shift cables along the down tube.
    Tipped the bike up and AYUP! The bottom donut on the rear shift cable
    was up against the bb shell. So as I fed cable to the shifter by
    shifting to a higher gear, the donut would bind the cable - binding
    more and more as the cable pulled it tighter to the bb shell. Rubber
    donuts do not a good cable guide make!

    And I thought I had a chain line problem.

    Bizarre bicycle malfunctions. One of the perquisites here.

    Dang! My shoe lace is ticking on the crank again.

    --
    Michael Press

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.