popcorn favorites

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Jude, Feb 17, 2005.

  1. Jude

    Jude Guest

    This thread is inspired by the thread that started the discussion of
    popcorn with velveeta butter.

    What's your favorite popcorn topping? What do you like to sprinkle? Any
    secret reciped for popcorn goodies? (I like to use air-popped corn in
    place of rice krispies in the rice krispie treat recipe to make easy
    popcorn balls. you can min in nuts or mini-chip to jazz em up.)

    My favorite popcorn:
    Make air-popped popcorn in a large bowl.

    While popcorn is popping, place 1/2 stick butter in a small bowl. Press
    or mince in 3 cloves of garlic. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave
    for 1 1/2 minutes on medium-low (40%) power.

    Drizzle melted butter over popcorn.

    Top with a little salt, nutritional yeast powder, and grated parmesan
    cheese. Add chili powder if you like it spicy.

    The best snakc in the whole wide world!!

    Tags:

  2. "Jude" <[email protected]>, if that's their real name, wrote:

    >What's your favorite popcorn topping?

    * Exported from MasterCook *

    Kettle Corn

    Recipe By :Damsel in dis Dress
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : snacks

    vegetable oil
    popcorn
    2 tablespoons granulated sugar
    salt -- for sprinkling

    In a three-quart saucepan (or "kettle") with a tight-fitting lid, pour
    enough oil to cover to a depth of about one-half the size of a popcorn
    kernel. Add two "test" kernels of popcorn, and turn heat to medium high.
    When the test kernels pop, the oil is hot enough to continue.

    Quickly pour in enough popcorn to cover the bottom of the saucepan in an
    even layer. Sprinkle the sugar over the unpopped kernels, and place the
    lid on the pan. As the corn pops, shake the pan occasionally to assure
    that unpopped kernels reach the bottom of the pan. When the lid starts to
    lift off the pan and the popping slows or stops, remove pan from heat.

    Pour popped corn into a large bowl or several smaller ones. Dust lightly
    with salt.

    Yield:
    "12 cups"

  3. One time on Usenet, "Jude" <[email protected]> said:

    > This thread is inspired by the thread that started the discussion of
    > popcorn with velveeta butter.
    >
    > What's your favorite popcorn topping? What do you like to sprinkle? Any
    > secret reciped for popcorn goodies? (I like to use air-popped corn in
    > place of rice krispies in the rice krispie treat recipe to make easy
    > popcorn balls. you can min in nuts or mini-chip to jazz em up.)

    Oooh, those sound good! Probably a lot easier than the method I
    use (cooking Kayro, sugar, and water to hard ball stage).

    > My favorite popcorn:

    <snip - yum!>

    I like microwave popcorn with melted real butter, garlic powder,
    and chili powder. My grandfather called it "Mexican Popcorn",
    and it's been my favorite since childhood.

    > The best snakc in the whole wide world!!

    Best snack, too... ;-)

    --
    J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
    "You still haven't explained why the pool is

  4. One time on Usenet, Dog3 <[email protected];ajklsd;ajlds.nutz> said:
    > "Jude" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > This thread is inspired by the thread that started the discussion of
    > > popcorn with velveeta butter.

    <snip>

    > OMG! Someone suggested Velveeta and butter. I used it a couple of nights
    > ago. I will never change it. I do not remember who suggested it. It was
    > either kili or someone else. Gawd, is it good.

    I'm sorry, but that doesn't sound good to me, but I don't
    really like Velveeta either. Now, some shredded sharp cheddar,
    mmmmmm...

    --

  5. On Thu 17 Feb 2005 07:34:07p, Gal Called J.J. wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > One time on Usenet, Dog3 <[email protected];ajklsd;ajlds.nutz> said:
    >> "Jude" <[email protected]> wrote in
    >> news:[email protected]:
    >>
    >> > This thread is inspired by the thread that started the discussion of
    >> > popcorn with velveeta butter.

    > <snip>
    >
    >> OMG! Someone suggested Velveeta and butter. I used it a couple of
    >> nights ago. I will never change it. I do not remember who suggested it.
    >> It was either kili or someone else. Gawd, is it good.

    > I'm sorry, but that doesn't sound good to me, but I don't
    > really like Velveeta either. Now, some shredded sharp cheddar,
    > mmmmmm...

    Nor me either. I just can't picture putting something "wet" on popcorn,
    the same as putting chili and/or cheese on French fries. I do, however,
    like having pieces of cheddar to eat on the side with the popcorn.

    Most of the time I'm too lazy to use the popcorn popper or even a pot on
    the stove, and opt for microwave popcorn. On that I sprinkle garlic
    powder and parmesan cheese, and sometimes chili powder.

    Wayne

  6. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Jude" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > What's your favorite popcorn topping? What do you like to sprinkle? Any
    > secret reciped for popcorn goodies? (I like to use air-popped corn in
    > place of rice krispies in the rice krispie treat recipe to make easy
    > popcorn balls. you can min in nuts or mini-chip to jazz em up.)

    I don't top it, usually, except with salt. I pop it on the stove in
    either corn or olive oil and salt it. That's it.

    Regards,
    Ranee

    --
    Remove Do Not and Spam to email

    See my Blog at: http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

  7. Jude wrote:

    > This thread is inspired by the thread that started the discussion of
    > popcorn with velveeta butter.
    >
    > What's your favorite popcorn topping? What do you like to sprinkle? Any
    > secret reciped for popcorn goodies? (I like to use air-popped corn in
    > place of rice krispies in the rice krispie treat recipe to make easy
    > popcorn balls. you can min in nuts or mini-chip to jazz em up.)

    Once popped (I use a pan with a little oil), I like to sprinkle my popcorn
    with Old Bay seasoning and/or Parmesan cheese. This is just about the only
    time I use my Microplane grater on Parmesan --- I like that snowflake-fine
    grate when I use it on hot popcorn.

    ---jkb

    --
    "Mmmm... forbidden donut."
    -- Homer Simpson

  8. Tara

    Tara Guest

    Real butter and salt are my favorite popcorn toppings. When I want a
    change, though, Tony Chatcherie's cajun spice is delicious on popcorn.

    Tara

  9. -L.

    -L. Guest

    Dog3 wrote:
    > OMG! Someone suggested Velveeta and butter. I used it a couple of

    nights
    > ago. I will never change it. I do not remember who suggested it. It

    was
    > either kili or someone else.

    It was me, sweetheart. ;)

    >Gawd, is it good.

    Toadyaso... ;p

    > Michael

    It's officially called "Gooey Cheese Popcorn". It was invented by my
    sister in about 1975. :D

    -L.

  10. -L.

    -L. Guest

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:

    <snip>

    > Nor me either. I just can't picture putting something "wet" on

    popcorn,

    It actually isn't wet - it's gooey. And it is divine. :)

    > the same as putting chili and/or cheese on French fries. I do,

    however,
    > like having pieces of cheddar to eat on the side with the popcorn.
    >
    > Most of the time I'm too lazy to use the popcorn popper or even a pot

    on
    > the stove, and opt for microwave popcorn. On that I sprinkle garlic
    > powder and parmesan cheese, and sometimes chili powder.

    If you can tolerate the salt in the Velveeta, try it. You won't be
    sorry.

    -L.

  11. On Mon 21 Feb 2005 01:30:39a, -L. wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >> Nor me either. I just can't picture putting something "wet" on
    >> popcorn,

    > It actually isn't wet - it's gooey. And it is divine. :)

    Thanks for the thought, but I don't think I could do gooey, either. :)
    I'll stick with my buttered, seasoned popcorn and a chunk of cheddar.

    >> the same as putting chili and/or cheese on French fries. I do,
    >> however, like having pieces of cheddar to eat on the side with the
    >> popcorn.
    >>
    >> Most of the time I'm too lazy to use the popcorn popper or even a pot
    >> on the stove, and opt for microwave popcorn. On that I sprinkle
    >> garlic powder and parmesan cheese, and sometimes chili powder.

    > If you can tolerate the salt in the Velveeta, try it. You won't be
    > sorry.
    >
    > -L.

  12. sf

    sf Guest

    On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 12:52:58 GMT, Dog3
    <[email protected];ajklsd;ajlds.nutz> wrote:

    > "-L." <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    > >
    > > It's officially called "Gooey Cheese Popcorn". It was invented by my
    > > sister in about 1975. :D
    > >
    > > -L.
    > >

    > Well, smooch the sis for me. I'm an addict.

    You can only imagine what chemicals were the basis of that
    inspiration!

    LOL!

    sf

  13. Kilowatt

    Kilowatt Guest

    On 17 Feb 2005 18:02:06 -0800, "Jude" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >This thread is inspired by the thread that started the discussion of
    >popcorn with velveeta butter.
    >
    >What's your favorite popcorn topping? What do you like to sprinkle? Any
    >secret reciped for popcorn goodies? (I like to use air-popped corn in
    >place of rice krispies in the rice krispie treat recipe to make easy
    >popcorn balls. you can min in nuts or mini-chip to jazz em up.)
    >
    >My favorite popcorn:
    >Make air-popped popcorn in a large bowl.
    >
    >While popcorn is popping, place 1/2 stick butter in a small bowl. Press
    >or mince in 3 cloves of garlic. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave
    >for 1 1/2 minutes on medium-low (40%) power.
    >
    >Drizzle melted butter over popcorn.
    >
    >Top with a little salt, nutritional yeast powder, and grated parmesan
    >cheese. Add chili powder if you like it spicy.
    >

    >The best snakc in the whole wide world!!

    I was in the hospital a few weeks ago. The vending machines had white
    cheddar coated popcorn. Everyone that came to see me after tasting it
    was hooked. I have looked in every grocery store I shop, and I can
    not find any cheddar topping.

    I have found a couple of sited that sell this online but I don't shop
    for food online. You never know where it comes from.

    I have found cheddar flavored popcorn in the stores but I would like
    to find just the topping.

  14. Steve Calvin

    Steve Calvin Guest

    Kilowatt wrote:

    > I was in the hospital a few weeks ago. The vending machines had white
    > cheddar coated popcorn. Everyone that came to see me after tasting it
    > was hooked. I have looked in every grocery store I shop, and I can
    > not find any cheddar topping.
    >
    > I have found a couple of sited that sell this online but I don't shop
    > for food online. You never know where it comes from.
    >
    > I have found cheddar flavored popcorn in the stores but I would like
    > to find just the topping.

    Glad that you survived your visit to the hospital!

    As for the p.c. why not just get a hunk of sharp or extra sharp white
    cheddar and grate it over the hot kernels? Probably much better tasting
    than what is probably chemical powder on the commercial product.

    Steve

  15. Jude

    Jude Guest

    My daughter loves cheese popcorn, so i've taken to buying the cheapest
    boxes of macaroni & cheese at the grocery, using the powdered
    chemi-cheese on popcorn, and saving the mac for other uses (including
    homemade cheese sauce...)

  16. Melissa

    Melissa Guest

    > I was in the hospital a few weeks ago. The vending machines had

    white
    > cheddar coated popcorn. Everyone that came to see me after tasting

    it
    > was hooked. I have looked in every grocery store I shop, and I can
    > not find any cheddar topping.
    >
    > I have found a couple of sited that sell this online but I don't shop
    > for food online. You never know where it comes from.
    >
    > I have found cheddar flavored popcorn in the stores but I would like
    > to find just the topping.

    Well, I just googled and found an online purveyor of flavored powders.

    http://www.suttonsbaytrading.com/Flavored_Powders/

    They have cheddar, white cheddar and blue cheese powders, but they seem
    a bit pricey - $4 for 3oz, $8.25/lb for the white cheddar. I haven't
    tried any of their products.

    All I can say is that I ate a lot of cheese popcorn growing up, and we
    made it with air-popped or microwaved popcorn. To season it, we mixed
    cheeze powder (bright orange, salty, no particular resemblance to real
    cheese) with vegetable oil and then drizzled the cheese oil on the
    popcorn while stirring it around in the bowl. White cheddar powder
    sounds positively civilized in comparison.

    Melissa