Popcorn?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by The Ranger, Jan 24, 2004.

  1. The Ranger

    The Ranger Guest

    I'm looking for a brand of popcorn that'll pop most of the kernals instead of just 3/4 of the bag.
    Is there a brand out there that pops up mostly? Or is this just a dream?

    I'm currently using two microwave brands, ActII Butter and Orvel Reddenbauckers.

    The Ranger

    Tags:

  2. Try Jolly Time. I have found it consistantly pops more than the more the brands you listed.

    --
    Paula Drennan

    May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house. "The Ranger"
    :
    : I'm currently using two microwave brands, ActII Butter and Orvel Reddenbauckers.
    :
    : The Ranger
    :
    :

  3. Mark Thorson

    Mark Thorson Guest

    The Ranger wrote:

    > I'm looking for a brand of popcorn that'll pop most of the kernals instead of just 3/4 of the bag.
    > Is there a brand out there that pops up mostly? Or is this just a dream?

    3/4 of the bag is way too low. You are either using the wrong settting on your microwave, or your
    microwave just isn't powerful enough to do a good job. Is it old? As the magnetron tube ages, the
    power may drop off.

  4. Dog3

    Dog3 Guest

    "The Ranger" <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
    news:[email protected]:

    > I'm looking for a brand of popcorn that'll pop most of the kernals instead of just 3/4 of the bag.
    > Is there a brand out there that pops up mostly? Or is this just a dream?
    >
    > I'm currently using two microwave brands, ActII Butter and Orvel Reddenbauckers.
    >
    > The Ranger

    I use a cheapie microwave air popper. I use regular popcorn in the bag or jar and almost all
    of it pops.

    Michael

  5. The Ranger

    The Ranger Guest

    Mark Thorson <[email protected]> asked in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > The Ranger wrote:
    >
    > > I'm looking for a brand of popcorn that'll pop most of the kernals instead of just 3/4 of the
    > > bag. Is there a brand out there that pops up mostly? Or is this just a dream?
    >
    > 3/4 of the bag is way too low. You are either using the wrong settting on your microwave, or your
    > microwave just isn't powerful enough to do a good job. Is it old? As the magnetron tube ages,
    > the power may drop off.

    I agree that having only 75% of the bag bloom is low, hence my question.

    And I do understand about microwaves' less-graceful aging than other appliances. The microwaves (we
    have two) are both in fine working order and cook/heat other foods quite adequately and
    efficiently. If I increase the time by only a few seconds, I have burned popcorn and the same
    number of kernals unpopped.

    The Ranger

  6. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    The Ranger wrote:
    > I'm looking for a brand of popcorn that'll pop most of the kernals instead of just 3/4 of the bag.
    > Is there a brand out there that pops up mostly? Or is this just a dream?
    >
    > I'm currently using two microwave brands, ActII Butter and Orvel Reddenbauckers.
    >
    > The Ranger

    Try popping real corn on the stove instead of those nasty artificial butter-flavoured microwave
    bag things.

    Jill

  7. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    >Mark Thorson
    >
    >The Ranger wrote:
    >
    >> I'm looking for a brand of popcorn that'll pop most of the kernals instead of just 3/4 of the
    >> bag. Is there a brand out there that pops up mostly? Or is this just a dream?
    >
    >3/4 of the bag is way too low. You are either using the wrong settting on your microwave, or your
    > microwave just isn't powerful enough to do a good job. Is it old? As the magnetron tube ages, the
    > power may drop off.

    Um, there's no mention of microwave popcorn.

    Buy ordinary loose popcorn, the stupidmarket brand comes in 2lb bags for cheap. When you get home
    pour the popcorn into an air-tight container, add 1 tbsp water and seal... place container in
    fridge. The next day try the popcorn, the water will have been absorbed, rehydrating the popcorn to
    the proper level for ultimate popping... mostly all kernels will now pop. I've been doing this for
    many years, usually with my hot air popper but works just as well in a pot with oil. From two ounces
    of kernals I get less than 10 that don't pop and about ten half popped (cook's treat). I don't much
    care for microwave popcorn... that chemical smell is awful.

    Actually air popped is better tasting than popcorn popped in oil... I simply drizzle melted butter
    over my air popped corn.... melted butter tastes much better than over heated oil. I do melt the
    butter in the microwave oven, about 4 Tbls in a 1 cup Pyrex measure... more than enough for
    buttering the 6qt load from my air popper.... scrape out last licks with a rubber spatula, using
    spatula to stir in butter while drizzling.

  8. Gabby

    Gabby Guest

    "The Ranger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm looking for a brand of popcorn that'll pop most of the kernals instead of just 3/4 of the bag.
    > Is there a brand out there that pops up mostly? Or is this just a dream?
    >
    > I'm currently using two microwave brands, ActII Butter and Orvel Reddenbauckers.

    See if you can find a Boy Scout in your area. Their Trails End popcorn is delicious and I don't
    usually have many kernals unpopped. Not only do you get great popcorn but you help out the Scouts at
    the same time.

    Gabby

  9. Miche

    Miche Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "The Ranger" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I'm looking for a brand of popcorn that'll pop most of the kernals instead of just 3/4 of the bag.
    > Is there a brand out there that pops up mostly? Or is this just a dream?
    >
    > I'm currently using two microwave brands, ActII Butter and Orvel Reddenbauckers.

    Use real popcorn and a pot on the stove.

    Clarified butter gives good results -- butter flavour and no burning.

    Miche

    --
    If you want to end war and stuff you got to sing loud. -- Arlo Guthrie, "Alice's Restaurant"

  10. Miche

    Miche Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Mark Thorson <[email protected]> wrote:

    > The Ranger wrote:
    >
    > > I'm looking for a brand of popcorn that'll pop most of the kernals instead of just 3/4 of the
    > > bag. Is there a brand out there that pops up mostly? Or is this just a dream?
    >
    > 3/4 of the bag is way too low. You are either using the wrong settting on your microwave, or your
    > microwave just isn't powerful enough to do a good job. Is it old? As the magnetron tube ages,
    > the power may drop off.

    The one time we used microwave popcorn (blech!) we popped it in our thirteen-year-old 650W
    microwave.

    It worked fine, but the artificial "butter flavour" was awful.

    Miche

    --

  11. On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 16:50:26 -0400, Gabby <[email protected]> wrote:

    > See if you can find a Boy Scout in your area. Their Trails End popcorn is delicious and I don't
    > usually have many kernals unpopped. Not only do you get great popcorn but you help out the Scouts
    > at the same time.

    I'll second the Trail's End kind. We don't do microwave popcorn anymore now (Erik has way
    too much fun making it on the stovetop) but I've had Trail's End before and it was very
    good. It's been a few years now, but IIRC, it was far better than other brands of microwave
    popcorn I'd had.

    Ariane

  12. Sheryl Rosen

    Sheryl Rosen Guest

    in article [email protected], The Ranger at

    > I'm looking for a brand of popcorn that'll pop most of the kernals instead of just 3/4 of the bag.
    > Is there a brand out there that pops up mostly? Or is this just a dream?
    >
    > I'm currently using two microwave brands, ActII Butter and Orvel Reddenbauckers.
    >
    > The Ranger

    I find Pop Secret to be very good with regards to "old maids". Their homestyle is particularly
    tasty, too.

  13. Sheryl Rosen

    Sheryl Rosen Guest

    in article [email protected], jmcquown at

    > The Ranger wrote:
    >> I'm looking for a brand of popcorn that'll pop most of the kernals instead of just 3/4 of the
    >> bag. Is there a brand out there that pops up mostly? Or is this just a dream?
    >>
    >> I'm currently using two microwave brands, ActII Butter and Orvel Reddenbauckers.
    >>
    >> The Ranger
    >
    > Try popping real corn on the stove instead of those nasty artificial butter-flavoured microwave
    > bag things.
    >
    > Jill

    Nasty...that's your opinion. The OP obviously likes microwave popcorn, which is why he asked
    the question.

  14. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    PENMART01 wrote:

    > >Mark Thorson
    > >
    > >The Ranger wrote:
    > >
    > >> I'm looking for a brand of popcorn that'll pop most of the kernals instead of just 3/4 of the
    > >> bag. Is there a brand out there that pops up mostly? Or is this just a dream?
    > >
    > >3/4 of the bag is way too low. You are either using the wrong settting on your microwave, or your
    > > microwave just isn't powerful enough to do a good job. Is it old? As the magnetron tube ages,
    > > the power may drop off.
    >
    > Um, there's no mention of microwave popcorn.

    You'd have to read the original post. He's talking about microwave popcorn.

    nancy

  15. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    Sheryl Rosen wrote:
    > in article [email protected], jmcquown at [email protected] wrote
    > on 1/24/04 2:56 PM:
    >
    >> The Ranger wrote:
    >>> I'm looking for a brand of popcorn that'll pop most of the kernals instead of just 3/4 of the
    >>> bag. Is there a brand out there that pops up mostly? Or is this just a dream?
    >>>
    >>> I'm currently using two microwave brands, ActII Butter and Orvel Reddenbauckers.
    >>>
    >>> The Ranger
    >>
    >> Try popping real corn on the stove instead of those nasty artificial butter-flavoured microwave
    >> bag things.
    >>
    >> Jill
    >>

    > Nasty...that's your opinion. The OP obviously likes microwave popcorn, which is why he asked the
    > question.

    Yep, that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. Those bags destroy the taste of anything else cooked
    in the microwave. (Or worse yet, burned a bag.) Try reheating something at work after someone has
    nuked one of those things and see if it doesn't taste like that gawd-awful artificial butter
    powdered whatever. Ewwwww!

    Okay, there's a time and a place for everything. Maybe the OP doesn't have a stove. In which case,
    he/she should nuke it a little longer.

    Jill

  16. Mark Thorson

    Mark Thorson Guest

    PENMART01 wrote:

    > >Nancy Young wrote:

    > >> Um, there's no mention of microwave popcorn.
    > >
    > >You'd have to read the original post. He's talking about microwave popcorn.
    > >
    > >nancy
    >
    > Leave it to Mark Thorazine to digress about microwaves but not quote any previous relevant part.

    Oh yeah, blame me. Rather than your own reading comprehension (or lack of it).

    What part of "bag" do you not understand?

  17. John Gaughan

    John Gaughan Guest

    Mark Thorson wrote:
    > 3/4 of the bag is way too low. You are either using the wrong settting on your microwave, or your
    > microwave just isn't powerful enough to do a good job. Is it old? As the magnetron tube ages,
    > the power may drop off.

    I am lucky to get a half bag without it burning. I think my microwave is about 25 years old, and
    even back then, it sucked ass. But it is worth the price I paid for it (free).

    --
    John Gaughan
    http://www.johngaughan.net/

  18. -L.

    -L. Guest

    "The Ranger" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm looking for a brand of popcorn that'll pop most of the kernals instead of just 3/4 of the bag.
    > Is there a brand out there that pops up mostly? Or is this just a dream?
    >
    > I'm currently using two microwave brands, ActII Butter and Orvel Reddenbauckers.
    >
    > The Ranger

    Never had trouble with either of those. Might be your 'wave. The only trouble I have had has been
    with cheap store brands.

    -L.

  19. Occupant

    Occupant Guest

    I buy, 2 kilo bags as I recall, at Costco and stick the popcorn in the freezer. Since only one
    Costco in this area carries bagged popcorn, I bought several bags that have been in the freezer
    being used up slowly over a couple of years. Taken frozen from the freezer I have used it in my hot
    air popper which produces flavourless popcorn so I used salsa as a dip. Delicious. OR my favourite
    is a large cast iron skillet with some oil, medium heat, and quarter cup of popcorn kernels followed
    by grating fine frozen cheddar cheese over a bowl of hot popcorn. The cheddar cheese falls and melts
    like snow and gives the popcorn a wonderful cheddar taste.

    My experience has been that it is usually the temperature and technique that determines the degree
    of popcorn that will pop and generally not the age or type.

    The Ranger wrote:

    > I'm looking for a brand of popcorn that'll pop most of the kernals instead of just 3/4 of the bag.
    > Is there a brand out there that pops up mostly? Or is this just a dream?
    >
    > I'm currently using two microwave brands, ActII Butter and Orvel Reddenbauckers.
    >
    > The Ranger

  20. Sf

    Sf Guest

    On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 11:26:59 -0800, "The Ranger"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I'm looking for a brand of popcorn that'll pop most of the kernals instead of just 3/4 of the
    > bag. Is there a brand out there that pops up mostly? Or is this just a dream?
    >
    > I'm currently using two microwave brands, ActII Butter and Orvel Reddenbauckers.
    >
    > The Ranger

    I'm shocked that Orvel Reddenbaucker doesn't do the trick. I've had very good luck with that brand.