Popcorn?

The Ranger

Guest
I'm looking for a brand of popcorn that'll pop most of the kernals instead of just 3/4 of the bag.
Is there a brand out there that pops up mostly? Or is this just a dream?

I'm currently using two microwave brands, ActII Butter and Orvel Reddenbauckers.

The Ranger

Try Jolly Time. I have found it consistantly pops more than the more the brands you listed.

--
Paula Drennan

May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house. "The Ranger"
:

The Ranger wrote:

> I'm looking for a brand of popcorn that'll pop most of the kernals instead of just 3/4 of the bag.
> Is there a brand out there that pops up mostly? Or is this just a dream?

3/4 of the bag is way too low. You are either using the wrong settting on your microwave, or your
microwave just isn't powerful enough to do a good job. Is it old? As the magnetron tube ages, the
power may drop off.

"The Ranger" <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
news:[email protected]:

> I'm looking for a brand of popcorn that'll pop most of the kernals instead of just 3/4 of the bag.
> Is there a brand out there that pops up mostly? Or is this just a dream?
>
> I'm currently using two microwave brands, ActII Butter and Orvel Reddenbauckers.
>
> The Ranger

I use a cheapie microwave air popper. I use regular popcorn in the bag or jar and almost all
of it pops.

Michael

Mark Thorson <[email protected]> asked in message
news:[email protected]...
> The Ranger wrote:
>
> > I'm looking for a brand of popcorn that'll pop most of the kernals instead of just 3/4 of the
> > bag. Is there a brand out there that pops up mostly? Or is this just a dream?
>
> 3/4 of the bag is way too low. You are either using the wrong settting on your microwave, or your
> microwave just isn't powerful enough to do a good job. Is it old? As the magnetron tube ages,
> the power may drop off.

I agree that having only 75% of the bag bloom is low, hence my question.

And I do understand about microwaves' less-graceful aging than other appliances. The microwaves (we
have two) are both in fine working order and cook/heat other foods quite adequately and
efficiently. If I increase the time by only a few seconds, I have burned popcorn and the same
number of kernals unpopped.

The Ranger

The Ranger wrote:
> I'm looking for a brand of popcorn that'll pop most of the kernals instead of just 3/4 of the bag.
> Is there a brand out there that pops up mostly? Or is this just a dream?
>
> I'm currently using two microwave brands, ActII Butter and Orvel Reddenbauckers.
>
> The Ranger

Try popping real corn on the stove instead of those nasty artificial butter-flavoured microwave
bag things.

Jill

>Mark Thorson
>
>The Ranger wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for a brand of popcorn that'll pop most of the kernals instead of just 3/4 of the
>> bag. Is there a brand out there that pops up mostly? Or is this just a dream?
>
>3/4 of the bag is way too low. You are either using the wrong settting on your microwave, or your
> microwave just isn't powerful enough to do a good job. Is it old? As the magnetron tube ages, the
> power may drop off.

Um, there's no mention of microwave popcorn.

Buy ordinary loose popcorn, the stupidmarket brand comes in 2lb bags for cheap. When you get home
pour the popcorn into an air-tight container, add 1 tbsp water and seal... place container in
fridge. The next day try the popcorn, the water will have been absorbed, rehydrating the popcorn to
the proper level for ultimate popping... mostly all kernels will now pop. I've been doing this for
many years, usually with my hot air popper but works just as well in a pot with oil. From two ounces
of kernals I get less than 10 that don't pop and about ten half popped (cook's treat). I don't much
care for microwave popcorn... that chemical smell is awful.

Actually air popped is better tasting than popcorn popped in oil... I simply drizzle melted butter
over my air popped corn.... melted butter tastes much better than over heated oil. I do melt the
butter in the microwave oven, about 4 Tbls in a 1 cup Pyrex measure... more than enough for
buttering the 6qt load from my air popper.... scrape out last licks with a rubber spatula, using
spatula to stir in butter while drizzling.

"The Ranger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm looking for a brand of popcorn that'll pop most of the kernals instead of just 3/4 of the bag.
> Is there a brand out there that pops up mostly? Or is this just a dream?
>
> I'm currently using two microwave brands, ActII Butter and Orvel Reddenbauckers.

See if you can find a Boy Scout in your area. Their Trails End popcorn is delicious and I don't
usually have many kernals unpopped. Not only do you get great popcorn but you help out the Scouts at
the same time.

Gabby

In article <[email protected]>,
"The Ranger" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm looking for a brand of popcorn that'll pop most of the kernals instead of just 3/4 of the bag.
> Is there a brand out there that pops up mostly? Or is this just a dream?
>
> I'm currently using two microwave brands, ActII Butter and Orvel Reddenbauckers.

Use real popcorn and a pot on the stove.

Clarified butter gives good results -- butter flavour and no burning.

Miche

--
If you want to end war and stuff you got to sing loud. -- Arlo Guthrie, "Alice's Restaurant"

In article <[email protected]>,
Mark Thorson <[email protected]> wrote:

> The Ranger wrote:
>
> > I'm looking for a brand of popcorn that'll pop most of the kernals instead of just 3/4 of the
> > bag. Is there a brand out there that pops up mostly? Or is this just a dream?
>
> 3/4 of the bag is way too low. You are either using the wrong settting on your microwave, or your
> microwave just isn't powerful enough to do a good job. Is it old? As the magnetron tube ages,
> the power may drop off.

The one time we used microwave popcorn (blech!) we popped it in our thirteen-year-old 650W
microwave.

It worked fine, but the artificial "butter flavour" was awful.

Miche

--

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 16:50:26 -0400, Gabby <[email protected]> wrote:

> See if you can find a Boy Scout in your area. Their Trails End popcorn is delicious and I don't
> usually have many kernals unpopped. Not only do you get great popcorn but you help out the Scouts
> at the same time.

I'll second the Trail's End kind. We don't do microwave popcorn anymore now (Erik has way
too much fun making it on the stovetop) but I've had Trail's End before and it was very
good. It's been a few years now, but IIRC, it was far better than other brands of microwave
popcorn I'd had.

Ariane

in article [email protected], The Ranger at

> I'm looking for a brand of popcorn that'll pop most of the kernals instead of just 3/4 of the bag.
> Is there a brand out there that pops up mostly? Or is this just a dream?
>
> I'm currently using two microwave brands, ActII Butter and Orvel Reddenbauckers.
>
> The Ranger

I find Pop Secret to be very good with regards to "old maids". Their homestyle is particularly
tasty, too.

in article [email protected], jmcquown at

> The Ranger wrote:
>> I'm looking for a brand of popcorn that'll pop most of the kernals instead of just 3/4 of the
>> bag. Is there a brand out there that pops up mostly? Or is this just a dream?
>>
>> I'm currently using two microwave brands, ActII Butter and Orvel Reddenbauckers.
>>
>> The Ranger
>
> Try popping real corn on the stove instead of those nasty artificial butter-flavoured microwave
> bag things.
>
> Jill

Nasty...that's your opinion. The OP obviously likes microwave popcorn, which is why he asked
the question.

PENMART01 wrote:

> >Mark Thorson
> >
> >The Ranger wrote:
> >
> >> I'm looking for a brand of popcorn that'll pop most of the kernals instead of just 3/4 of the
> >> bag. Is there a brand out there that pops up mostly? Or is this just a dream?
> >
> >3/4 of the bag is way too low. You are either using the wrong settting on your microwave, or your
> > microwave just isn't powerful enough to do a good job. Is it old? As the magnetron tube ages,
> > the power may drop off.
>
> Um, there's no mention of microwave popcorn.

You'd have to read the original post. He's talking about microwave popcorn.

nancy

Sheryl Rosen wrote:
> in article [email protected], jmcquown at [email protected] wrote
> on 1/24/04 2:56 PM:
>
>> The Ranger wrote:
>>> I'm looking for a brand of popcorn that'll pop most of the kernals instead of just 3/4 of the
>>> bag. Is there a brand out there that pops up mostly? Or is this just a dream?
>>>
>>> I'm currently using two microwave brands, ActII Butter and Orvel Reddenbauckers.
>>>
>>> The Ranger
>>
>> Try popping real corn on the stove instead of those nasty artificial butter-flavoured microwave
>> bag things.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Nasty...that's your opinion. The OP obviously likes microwave popcorn, which is why he asked the
> question.

Yep, that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. Those bags destroy the taste of anything else cooked
in the microwave. (Or worse yet, burned a bag.) Try reheating something at work after someone has
nuked one of those things and see if it doesn't taste like that gawd-awful artificial butter
powdered whatever. Ewwwww!

Okay, there's a time and a place for everything. Maybe the OP doesn't have a stove. In which case,
he/she should nuke it a little longer.

Jill

PENMART01 wrote:

> >Nancy Young wrote:

> >> Um, there's no mention of microwave popcorn.
> >
> >You'd have to read the original post. He's talking about microwave popcorn.
> >
> >nancy
>
> Leave it to Mark Thorazine to digress about microwaves but not quote any previous relevant part.

Oh yeah, blame me. Rather than your own reading comprehension (or lack of it).

What part of "bag" do you not understand?

Mark Thorson wrote:
> 3/4 of the bag is way too low. You are either using the wrong settting on your microwave, or your
> microwave just isn't powerful enough to do a good job. Is it old? As the magnetron tube ages,
> the power may drop off.

I am lucky to get a half bag without it burning. I think my microwave is about 25 years old, and
even back then, it sucked ass. But it is worth the price I paid for it (free).

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

"The Ranger" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm looking for a brand of popcorn that'll pop most of the kernals instead of just 3/4 of the bag.
> Is there a brand out there that pops up mostly? Or is this just a dream?
>
> I'm currently using two microwave brands, ActII Butter and Orvel Reddenbauckers.
>
> The Ranger

Never had trouble with either of those. Might be your 'wave. The only trouble I have had has been
with cheap store brands.

-L.

I buy, 2 kilo bags as I recall, at Costco and stick the popcorn in the freezer. Since only one
Costco in this area carries bagged popcorn, I bought several bags that have been in the freezer
being used up slowly over a couple of years. Taken frozen from the freezer I have used it in my hot
air popper which produces flavourless popcorn so I used salsa as a dip. Delicious. OR my favourite
is a large cast iron skillet with some oil, medium heat, and quarter cup of popcorn kernels followed
by grating fine frozen cheddar cheese over a bowl of hot popcorn. The cheddar cheese falls and melts
like snow and gives the popcorn a wonderful cheddar taste.

My experience has been that it is usually the temperature and technique that determines the degree
of popcorn that will pop and generally not the age or type.

The Ranger wrote:

> I'm looking for a brand of popcorn that'll pop most of the kernals instead of just 3/4 of the bag.
> Is there a brand out there that pops up mostly? Or is this just a dream?
>
> I'm currently using two microwave brands, ActII Butter and Orvel Reddenbauckers.
>
> The Ranger

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 11:26:59 -0800, "The Ranger"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm looking for a brand of popcorn that'll pop most of the kernals instead of just 3/4 of the
> bag. Is there a brand out there that pops up mostly? Or is this just a dream?
>
> I'm currently using two microwave brands, ActII Butter and Orvel Reddenbauckers.
>
> The Ranger

I'm shocked that Orvel Reddenbaucker doesn't do the trick. I've had very good luck with that brand.