Popovych to Postal?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by 1x1, Aug 3, 2004.

1. 1x1

1x1 New Member

Will the addition of Yaroslav Popovych to the Posties/Discovery team have a negative impact on Floyd's chances of heading that team down the road? I think this is a great addition to the team but what sort of message does this send to others on the team who aspire to one day lead it :confused:

Tags:

2. hawkes

hawkes New Member

I don't think so as teams are now rquired to race all three Grand tours in the Pro Tour so teams will have multiple GC riders for the different tours.

For instance if you were to remove LA from the Discovery team. You could have Floyd for one - 3 years as your TDF rider with PoPo as your Giro rider who also rides in the TDF for his ability in the team and to gain expierence. In three years maybe Floyd is on the downslide of his Grand tour riding or moves to another team and then PoPo is your TDF rider. You don't lose much as PoPo is young can grow without heavy pressure of TDF and he has already proven himself as a potential winner of the Giro.

For the Vuelta one of Postals Spanish Armada of climbers Beltran, Chechu or Ace (I know Portuguese) as the Vuelta is normally very climb heavy.

I think most teams are goining to have 2-3 top GC riders at various ages and development levels ie young needs time to in his prime to at the end of his career to be competitive in all three tours.

3. cydewaze

cydewaze New Member

I thought Floyd had already accepted a position with another team. :confused:

4. 1x1

1x1 New Member

The last I heard there were talks and a possible offer from Phonak but nothing was a done deal as of yet...time will tell I suppose.