Pork Rib help

Steve Calvin

Guest
ok, here's the problem. Nancy took out pork ribs for dinner but there's still *no* way I can get to
my grill 'cause of last weeks snow dumpage in the northeast.

I really hate to do 'em in the oven but I think that it's my only alternative.

Suggestions?

"Steve Calvin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> ok, here's the problem. Nancy took out pork ribs for dinner but there's still *no* way I can get
> to my grill 'cause of last weeks snow dumpage in the northeast.
>
> I really hate to do 'em in the oven but I think that it's my only alternative.
>
> Suggestions?

Bake them with sauerkraut

On the bottom of a baking pan put a mixture of diced onion sauerkraut a little white wine and
caraway seed.

Please the ribs on top of the mixture.

Cover with foil and bake @ 350 till tender. Remove the foil and let brown.

Dimitri

here is an actual recipe:

1/2 lb. bacon, cut in small pieces 1 lg. onion, cut up small 1 sm. head cabbage, chopped 1 lb. jar
sauerkraut
2/2 c. water 1 tsp. sugar 1 tsp. caraway seed Salt and pepper to taste

Cook bacon with onion. In a large bowl chop cabbage. Add remaining ingredients. Add bacon and
onion to cabbage mixture; mix well. In large roaster or heavy pot put half of mixture on bottom.
Cover with cut up ribs (1 large slab). Repeat until all ingredients have been used. Cover and cook
on low heat or in oven at 300 degrees for 2 1/2 hours. Serves 8 to 10.

One more

1 lb. pork ribs 1 lg. onion 1 tbsp. sugar 1 c. water 1 lg. container sauerkraut 2 lg. potatoes 2
tbsp. oil Flour seasoned with salt/pepper

Cut extra fat off ribs. Dip in seasoned flour and brown in heavy pot in oil. Drain off all but 1 to
2 tablespoons oil. Rinse sauerkraut well in colander. Quarter onion and separate pieces. Add
sauerkraut and onions to meat in pot. Add water, sugar, and pepper and bring to a boil. Mix gently,
cover and simmer over low heat about 1 1/2 hours. Cut potatoes into 2 inches squares and add
potatoes at this time. Mix gently and continue cooking until potatoes are tender.

"Steve Calvin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> ok, here's the problem. Nancy took out pork ribs for dinner but there's still *no* way I can get
> to my grill 'cause of last weeks snow dumpage in the northeast.
>
> I really hate to do 'em in the oven but I think that it's my only alternative.
>
> Suggestions?

Put a rub on them if you like, then in a baking pan and cover with foil. Bake at 250 for 4-5 hours
(spareribs) or 2 hours (baby backs). Remove foil and raise heat to 350 for last 1/2 hour, baste with
BBQ sauce if you like.

--
Peter Aitken

Remove the **** from my email address before using.

In rec.food.cooking, Steve Calvin <[email protected]> wrote:

> Suggestions?

Just boil them until the meat falls off the bones. All the flavor is in the sauce.

In article <[email protected]>, Steve Calvin
<[email protected]> writes:

>ok, here's the problem. Nancy took out pork ribs for dinner but there's still *no* way I can get to
>my grill 'cause of last weeks snow dumpage in the northeast.
>
>I really hate to do 'em in the oven but I think that it's my only alternative.
>
>Suggestions?

BRAISED SPARERIBS WITH RIGATONI From Lidia's in Kansas City, an informal company dish that’s sure
to satisfy.

1/4 cup olive oil 4 pounds pork spareribs, cut into individual ribs 1 pound onions, thinly sliced 10
large garlic cloves, chopped 8 cherry peppers from jar, drained, seeded, chopped
2/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper 3 28-ounce cans Italian-style tomatoes in juice 1 cup canned
low-salt chicken broth 1 cup dry white wine 4 large fresh thyme sprigs 2 bay leaves

1 pound rigatoni 1 1/2 cups freshly grated Parmesan
3/3 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley

Heat oil in heavy large pot over high heat. Sprinkle spareribs with salt and pepper. Working in
batches, add ribs to pot and brown on all sides, about 6 minutes. Transfer ribs to bowl. Add onions,
garlic, cherry peppers and crushed red pepper to pot. Sauté until onions just begin to brown, about
10 minutes. Add tomatoes with their juices. Using back of fork or potato masher, coarsely crush
tomatoes. Return spareribs and juices to pot. Add broth, wine, thyme and bay leaves and bring to
boil. Reduce heat to medium- low. Simmer uncovered until spareribs are very tender and sauce
thickens, stirring occasionally, about 2 hours. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 2 days
ahead. Cool slightly. Refrigerate until cold, then cover and keep chilled. Remove chilled fat from
top of sauce, if desired. Rewarm before continuing.)

Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite. Drain and
return pasta to same pot. Add cheese, parsley and some sauce from spareribs and toss to coat.
Transfer pasta to large bowl. Top with spareribs and remaining sauce and serve.

Makes 4 to 6 servings.

Bon Appé*** September 2000

Lidia’s, Kansas City, MS
---

Reviews:

A Cook from San Francisco, CA on 12/02/03 Lidia's pasta dishes are the BEST! I followed it to the T,
but did use some beef ribs. Didn't like the beef ribs, and found the dish very strong and heady the
first night cooked. So I cooled it, skimmed the fat and served it a second day. It was UNBELIEVABLE!
I added about 1 tbs of brown sugar to take the edge off it (my wine probably wasn't the best), but
it was out of this world, as are all her pasta creations. A dish that makes you overeat!

A Cook from Boston, MA on 11/27/03 I didn't have all the ingredients for this recipe, so I
improvised, which is what using recipes is all about! What I do want to say, is this is a FANTASTIC
way to prepare pork ribs. They are tougher than baby back ribs, and braising them made them very
tender, and delicious. I only cooked them an hour, as that was all the time I had (!) and while the
meat didn't fall off the bone, it was certainly quite tender and moist. I froze what ribs I didn't
use for this meal, and for the next time, I'll take the recipe to the store and buy the ingredients!

A Cook from Saratoga, California on 06/27/03 This was so good that we have now made this three
times, with and without the cherry peppers. I substituted bell peppers when I didn't have cherry
peppers in the pantry (cherry peppers are packed in vinegar, so I added a Tbsp of wine vinegar). The
leftovers are great. I saw Lidia make this on TV - and mine came out just like hers.

A Cook from Murrayville, GA on 03/18/03 I really loved this both times I made it, but I actually
like it made with meaty beef short ribs, which you often see used in this type of ragu with pasta.
Also for additional flavor, while sauteeing the onions, etc., I like to add a couple of carrots and
celery, diced, and saute them, too. Great!!

norma ( [email protected] ) from Miami, FL on 10/15/02 Hearty and delicious. Did not have cherry
peppers, but used cayenne pepper and Emeril's Essence. Had one large slab of spareribs so I used
only one 28oz can of tomato and also used Marsala wine. Awesome!

A Cook from Chicago on 10/14/02 Excellent spicey dish. The meat just falls of the bone. I would
increase the number of cherry tomatoes next time. I also added a touch of corn starch at the very
end to thicken the sauce a bit.

jennie ( [email protected] ) from NYC on 04/18/02 This is a fantastic recipe; the only change I made was
to add 1 more can of tomatoes the second time.

A Cook from LaPorte, Indiana on 03/06/02 This is a keeper my family and friends love it I always
have to double it because my husband loves it again the next day.

kathy ( [email protected] ) from Boston, MA on 02/06/02 Prepared this on Sunday and then
reheated it for Monday night. We thought it was delicious. I also used hot cherry peppers (a few
more than the recipe called for) and a little extra onion and red pepper flakes. At one point the
sauce seemed a little thin, so I added a small can of tomato paste. We both loved it and would
definitely make it again.

A Cook from The Caribbean on 01/05/02 I thought this recipe was wonderful. I played around with it a
bit though. I used 1/2 tin less tomatoes, more dried red peppers and more onions and garlic. I also
seasoned my ribs beforehand, not just with salt and pepper. I used garlic, worcestershire sauce, a
little dried parsley, chopped onion as well as the salt and pepper. The resulting dish was fabulous.
Lovely thick sauce with good, spicy flavour. Hubby and kids loved it as well. Definitely a keeper.

Steve Baker ( [email protected] ) from Frankfort, Il on 12/03/01 What a great recipe. My family
loves this dish. The flavors explode in your mouth.

A Cook from Bucks County, Pennsylvania on 10/18/01 My husband and I really enjoyed this recipe. The
kids enjoyed the sauce, not the ribs. I used hot peppers as well and thought it came out great. I
made the sauce and ribs on Sunday and chilled it as the recipe calls. Then on a work night, I
skimmed off the fat, reheated it, cooked the pasta and served it with some garlic bread. My family
loved a "home-cooked" meal on a weeknight!

A Cook from Denver on 02/04/01 I've made this recipe 3X now and has always been meet with
wonderful reviews. Tho it takes a while, it's a great dish to make ahead, and then reheat the day
of serving. The house smells like you've been cooking all day. As with many brasied dishes, this
definately tastes better on day 2 or 3 after the flavors have had an opportunity to mellow. Serve
with a good italian wine, ciabatta bread and salad! Well worth the time. Leftovers freeze well and
still taste terrific!

A Cook from Huntington, NY on 12/31/00 Made this one during a big snowstorm. It was a deliciously
satisfying meal after all that shoveling, but beware. . . it's VERY spicy.

A Cook from Maryland on 10/30/00 The sauce for this dish is outstanding! I've also used beef back
ribs when they were on sale and it is equally delicious. I also used hot cherry peppers (3 large
ones). I've noticed in the other reviews that the people who have used hot peppers like the flavor
of the dish more. I will make this for a casual get-together often!

Ruby Carey ( [email protected] ) from Vancouver, BC, Canada on 10/11/00 Yummmm Yummm, a great recipe
for the cold months coming up. I dried some of my own tomatoes, and threw a few in here. The
flavours were wonderful.

A Cook from Pittsburgh, PA on 10/11/00 This is excellent. All of Lidia's recipes are so very good
and easy to prepare. I bought the cookbook and I am working my way through it. Watch the show on
PBS, it will inspire you.

A Cook from Ca on 10/02/00 Finger licking good!!!

A Cook from San Franciso, CA on 09/21/00 I made this following the recipe exactly, and it turned out
very well but it was better the next day and best the day after that. Would definitely make for a
crowd or a party.

A Cook from Norwalk, CT. on 09/21/00 This was a tasty, but very rich recipe. The instructions never
said whether to use sweet or hot peppers. I used hot, but cut down on the amount. It was spicy, but
not too hot. This is one recipe that should be refrigerated before reheating so that all the
substantial amount of fat can be removed.

A Cook from New Jersey on 09/16/00 It is very tasty, great for cooking ahead. It probably would be
great for a crowd. The next time I make this dish, I would definitely increase the amount of garlic
and onion.
---

Dimitri wrote: <recipes snipped>

Thanks for the ideas Dimitri. They both sound good.

Peter Aitken wrote:

> "Steve Calvin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> berlin.de...
>
>>ok, here's the problem. Nancy took out pork ribs for dinner but there's still *no* way I can get
>>to my grill 'cause of last weeks snow dumpage in the northeast.
>>
>>I really hate to do 'em in the oven but I think that it's my only alternative.
>>
>>Suggestions?
>>

> Put a rub on them if you like, then in a baking pan and cover with foil. Bake at 250 for 4-5 hours
> (spareribs) or 2 hours (baby backs). Remove foil and raise heat to 350 for last 1/2 hour, baste
> with BBQ sauce if you like.

Thanks Peter, I'll run both your idea and Dimitris' past "Da Boss" and let her decide ;-) (yeah, I
know... I'm a coward)

PENMART01 wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, Steve Calvin
> <[email protected]> writes:
>=20 20
>>ok, here's the problem. Nancy took out pork ribs for dinner but there's=
=20
>>still *no* way I can get to my grill 'cause of last weeks snow dumpage=
=20
>>in the northeast.
>>
>>I really hate to do 'em in the oven but I think that it's my only=20 alternative.
>>
>>Suggestions?
>=20 20
> BRAISED SPARERIBS WITH RIGATONI From Lidia's in Kansas City, an informal company dish
> that=E2=80=99s su=
re to satisfy.
> [...]

>=20
> norma ( [email protected] ) from Miami, FL on 10/15/02 =20 Hearty and delicious. Did not have cherry
> peppers, but used cayenne pep=
per and
> Emeril's Essence. Had one large slab of spareribs so I used only one 28=
oz can
> of tomato and also used Marsala wine. Awesome!
>=20
> A Cook from Chicago on 10/14/02 =20 Excellent spicey dish. The meat just falls of the bone. I
> would increas=
e the
> number of cherry tomatoes next time. I also added a touch of corn starc=
h at the
> very end to thicken the sauce a bit.
>=20
> jennie ( [email protected] ) from NYC on 04/18/02 =20 This is a fantastic recipe; the only change I
n of
> [...]

> use sweet or hot peppers. I used hot, but cut down on the amount. It wa=
s spicy,
> but not too hot. This is one recipe that should be refrigerated before reheating so that all the
> substantial amount of fat can be removed.
>=20
> A Cook from New Jersey on 09/16/00 =20 It is very tasty, great for cooking ahead. It probably
> would be great f=
or a
> crowd. The next time I make this dish, I would definitely increase the =
amount
> of garlic and onion.
> ---
>=20 20
> ---=3D BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =3D--- ---=3D Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =3D--- Sheldon
> =20 ```````````` "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."
Dang Shel. That sounds good *too*. She's gonna have one h*ll of a=20 decision on her hands! <g

"Steve Calvin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dimitri wrote: <recipes snipped>
>
> Thanks for the ideas Dimitri. They both sound good.

My pleasure - had them 2 weeks ago.

To me there is a wonderful "sweetness" with pork cooked in kraut.

Dimitri

"Steve Calvin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dimitri wrote: <recipes snipped>
>
> Thanks for the ideas Dimitri. They both sound good.

I'll second both. Pork ribs and sauerkraut, prepared the way Dimitri describes is the best indoor
rib method I've tried.

Jack Puerco

Dimitri wrote:

> "Steve Calvin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> berlin.de...
>> Dimitri wrote: <recipes snipped>
>>
>> Thanks for the ideas Dimitri. They both sound good.
>
> My pleasure - had them 2 weeks ago.
>
> To me there is a wonderful "sweetness" with pork cooked in kraut.
>
> Dimitri

Thanks from me, too. I love pork with kraut, and both of these recipes sound good

---jkb

--
"Thank you, come again. Smithers, release the hounds."

-- Montgomery Burns

Dimitris' #1 recipe won out. I was hesitant about the sugar but it turned out great. Thanks!

All of the others are on file to try over the winter. Thanks to all!

--
Steve

Jack Schidt=AE wrote:

> "Steve Calvin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> berlin.de...
>=20
>>Dimitri wrote: <recipes snipped>
>>
>>Thanks for the ideas Dimitri. They both sound good.
>>
>=20 20
> I'll second both. Pork ribs and sauerkraut, prepared the way Dimitri describes is the best indoor
> rib method I've tried.
>=20
> Jack Puerco
>=20 20
Well... Dimitris' rec #1 is in the oven as we "speak". I'll post later=20 on how it goes over. I was
a little leary about the sugar but went=20 ahead with it anyhow. I even had the caraway seed. I
didn't think that=20 I had any but there was still some in the cabinet.

Thanks to all.

--=20 Steve