Portable Bicycle Stand Or Foldable/Portable Bicycle Stand

GreatWhiteShark

Jul 31, 2013
What I was thinking before I hopped on my bicycle-

The nearest bicycle shop is at least 1.5-hrs., by bicycle, and around .75-hr. away, by bicycle & bus, nearest CoOp Bicycle Shop is at least 1.5-hrs. away by bicycle and buses (each way) and result in wasting most of the work day. The nearest bicycle shop was where I already wasted money trying to fix a problem. Given all that I have decided I must learn and do my own repairs, for now on.

I do not have a lot of room or money and need a Portable Bicycle Stand, to do so.

I was thinking maybe, I should get a Foldable Portable Bicycle Stand, so I can fit it into a maybe my room or shed.

What do you guys think is the best Portable Bicycle Stands?

What do you guys think is the best Foldable/Portable Bicycle Stands?

Are Portable Bicycle Stand so much better than Foldable/Portable Bicycle Stand that I should only purchase a Portable Bicycle Stand?

I just got off the bike and online, on my way here I was thinking about maybe making my own.
I did think about making one up to work from the tailgate and trailer hitch of my pickup truck, which works awesomely when I need to transport by bike (my bed of the pickup is too tight fit for my bike).

The only thing about rope and chains idea is that the bike can swing; I do not like that problem.

I really do like inventing things, so making one of my own is right up my strengths, as long as it does not cost more, than purchasing one, which it should not.

Heres one that you can easily DIY, but its not portable...

Volnix,

Thank You, for your helpful post.
That is not what I think of as a Bicycle Stand, to do repairs. It is a tree cut bicycle stand, sorry cannot remember the better term, for really parking your bicycle. As a Earth & Beings Rights Person, I would be against using natural resource (require killing a tree and Etc.) like that; I do realize that most of Bicycle Stands, to do repairs or just parking, use Natural Resources to some degrees.

I really like the idea of getting a Bicycle Automobile Carrier (multiple bicycles maybe, but also give enough space) and making it attachable and detachable to my truck's trailer hitch* and make it be able turn 360-degrees from Y & X axles, with locking system.

*- Thinking just need a standard trailer hitch and some way to lock The Bicycle Automobile Carrier right on top of it, but the way the standard trailer hitches, I have used, works attaching right on top would not work.

Hmmm... maybe you could get one of those outdoor umbrellas posts (the ones with the heavy base, there are some that you fill with sand or water so you can empty them later and make easier to carry around) then attach a "something" lever arm that is rotatable and attach a clamp to secure the bike from the seatpost or toptube for repairs...

The most difficult part to find might be the clamp... They need to be special clamps I think so they wont harm the frame etc...

Might be simpler (and cheaper) to find a ready solution though... Unless you have all the parts to DIY one.

Reactions: GreatWhiteShark
I know one shop owner who simply hung two chains from the ceiling with hooks on the ends. This would seem to work for the jobs that don't really require a firm hold on the bike, such as facing and threading bottom bracket shells. He favored using this, while his hired mechanics used his expensive work stand.

Volnix,

That is exactly what the now of out of business bicycle mechanic I used to use did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .
Hmmm... maybe you could get one of those outdoor umbrellas posts (the ones with the heavy base, there are some that you fill with sand or water so you can empty them later and make easier to carry around) then attach a "something" lever arm that is rotatable and attach a clamp to secure the bike from the seatpost or toptube for repairs...

The most difficult part to find might be the clamp... They need to be special clamps I think so they wont harm the frame etc...

Might be simpler (and cheaper) to find a ready solution though... Unless you have all the parts to DIY one.