Portable pumps (120 PSI)?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Risto Varanka, Apr 14, 2003.

  1. Are there any portable pumps with decent gauges that can give you 120 PSI (max you can have with
    current tires for 20" bent wheels I think)? So I need a bulky 2kg home pump and a carry-it-with-you
    low-PSI pump?

    What if I want to travel to bent races? Don't think Stelvios make a good touring tire.

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    [email protected] wrote in news:b7evio$n2e$4 @oravannahka.helsinki.fi:
    > Are there any portable pumps with decent gauges that can give you 120 PSI

    I don't think on-the-bike pump has a decent gauge, especially for road bike pressures. You might try
    the bigger Crank Bros. pump. That one is new and I haven't tried it yet, but it does appear to have
    a more accurate pressure gauge.

  3. On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 18:44:40 +0000, risto.varank wrote:

    > Are there any portable pumps with decent gauges that can give you 120 PSI (max you can have with
    > current tires for 20" bent wheels I think)? So I need a bulky 2kg home pump and a
    > carry-it-with-you low-PSI pump?

    Topeak Road Morph. You may have to calibrate the gauge against a floor pump, but mine is reasonably
    close to accurate. I can easily, really, get the 110psi I want to use, 120 or even more is no
    probloem. It unfolds to a mini floor-pump; there is a short hose (this is good, to keep you from
    damaging valve stems), and it will pump to whatever pressure you want without killing yourself in
    the process.

    Every time someone in my riding groups has a flat, I come to the rescue with this thing, and they
    are amazed. Really. By far the best portable pump I have ever used.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | When you are up to your ass in alligators, it's hard to remember _`\(,_ | that your initial
    objective was to drain the swamp. -- LBJ (_)/ (_) |

  4. Frank Riley

    Frank Riley Guest

    "David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 18:44:40 +0000, risto.varank wrote:
    >
    >> Are there any portable pumps with decent gauges that can give you 120 PSI (max you can have with
    >> current tires for 20" bent wheels I think)? So I need a bulky 2kg home pump and a
    >> carry-it-with-you low-PSI pump?
    >
    > Topeak Road Morph. You may have to calibrate the gauge against a floor pump, but mine is
    > reasonably close to accurate. I can easily, really, get the 110psi I want to use, 120 or even more
    > is no probloem. It unfolds to a mini floor-pump; there is a short hose (this is good, to keep you
    > from damaging valve stems), and it will pump to whatever pressure you want without killing
    > yourself in the process.
    >
    > Every time someone in my riding groups has a flat, I come to the rescue with this thing, and they
    > are amazed. Really. By far the best portable pump I have ever used.

    I'll second that.

  5. Dane Jackson

    Dane Jackson Guest

    Frank Riley <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 18:44:40 +0000, risto.varank wrote:
    >>
    >>> Are there any portable pumps with decent gauges that can give you 120 PSI (max you can have with
    >>> current tires for 20" bent wheels I think)? So I need a bulky 2kg home pump and a
    >>> carry-it-with-you low-PSI pump?
    >>
    >> Topeak Road Morph. You may have to calibrate the gauge against a floor pump, but mine is
    >> reasonably close to accurate. I can easily, really, get the 110psi?I want to use, 120 or even
    >> more is no probloem. It unfolds to a mini floor-pump; there is a short hose (this is good, to
    >> keep you from damaging valve stems), and it will pump to whatever pressure you want without
    >> killing yourself in the process.
    >>
    >> Every time someone in my riding groups has a flat, I come to the rescue with this thing, and they
    >> are amazed. Really. By far the best portable pump I have ever used.
    >
    > I'll second that.

    I do love the Road Morph. It's a great pump, and I'm glad I bought it before I had my really big
    rash of flats. Thankfully I pitched in the towel on those tires and picked up some Conti Gator
    Skins. One flat in seven hundred miles, which is *much* better than I was getting.

    So yes, the Road Morph is a great pump. Of course, I hardly get to use it anymore...

    --
    Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g There's no sense in being precise when
    you don't even know what you're talking about. -- John von Neumann

  6. David L. Johnson <[email protected]> wrote:
    : Topeak Road Morph. You may have to calibrate the gauge against a floor pump, but mine is
    : reasonably close to accurate. I can easily, really, get the 110psi I want to use, 120 or even more
    : is no probloem. It unfolds to a mini floor-pump; there is a short hose (this is good, to keep you
    : from damaging valve stems), and it will pump to whatever pressure you want without killing
    : yourself in the process.

    The Road Morph indeed does look quite interesting. I don't care if my pump weighs 200g or 1000g if
    I'm just out and riding, but for long tours and travelling (airlines have baggage limitations etc)
    compact size and small weight is a boon.

    The clamp-mounting sounds a good idea too. What kind of frame tubing would it fit - big and small
    tube? Recumbents can have some pretty weird frames =)

  7. On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 22:01:15 +0000, risto.varank wrote:

    > The clamp-mounting sounds a good idea too.

    I can't say that the clamp mount is my favorite feature. At the very least I would like to know of a
    source of extra mounts so I could move it easily from bike to bike. As it is, to take that pump on
    another bike, I stick it in a pocket.

    > What kind of frame tubing would it fit - big and small tube? Recumbents can have some pretty weird
    >frames =)

    It would seem to fit a fairly large tube. Mine is on the top tube of my Habanero, which is
    over-sized when compared to steel, but not when compared to, say, a Cannondale. My recollection is
    that the strap (it is one of those plastic-strap clamps) was initially pretty large, but I cut off
    the end since it stuck out and hit my leg.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Enron's slogan: Respect, Communication, Integrity, and _`\(,_ | Excellence. (_)/ (_) |