Portable truing tool?

quinoa

Mar 16, 2008
Hi folks,

I am a 'professional bicycle commuter" (as I like to call myself) and do a lot of my own bicycle maintenance - as I know many others do as well. One challenge I always had was not having a truing stand to keep my wheels well-maintained. I know I can keep my wheel pretty well maintained with simply the break pads as a guide, but really notice the difference with a truing stand.

So I made a little tool that I can use to true my wheel almost perfectly while it is still on the bike and can also be used to adjust the dish and the dip fairly precisely, so essentially can be used to build a wheel on the bike as well.

My question is: Is this sort of tool of interest to others? I am wondering if I have just simply filled a personal need, or if such a tool would be of use to others who do their own maintenance. I know there are certainly many ways to do wheel maintenance without a stand, but this little tool seems to be very effective. I also think it would be useful in places like Cuba, where bicycle maintenance is so important, yet resources are limited.

I am considering trying to patent the tool, and even though I would love to make money off it if it was successful, have thought about donating the patent to a strong international cycling group, though do not really know which that would be yet - or if an appropriate group even exists.

Feedback would be much appreciated

Cheers,

chris
[email protected]

FYI. About 30 years ago, there was a portable tool (U-TRU-IT, or similar spelling) whose life in the marketplace was apparently short-lived ...

Times have changed, so there may be more interest, now.

FWIW. Personally, I think it's a great idea which deserves to be resurrected.

alfeng said:
FYI. About 30 years ago, there was a portable tool (U-TRU-IT, or similar spelling) whose life in the marketplace was apparently short-lived ...

Times have changed, so there may be more interest, now.

FWIW. Personally, I think it's a great idea which deserves to be resurrected.
+1. I'm interested!

It sounds like it would be a convenient tool to have. It kind of depends on the price though. If it was between 20 and 45 dollars or around that, I would definetly be a supporter.

I've been trying to find a photo of the U-Tru-it tool but have had no luck. Perhaps my idea has already been done!

I figure a tool like this, as a basic model could sell for about $10-$15, and a more advanced version could sell at $20-$25.

The tool is pretty handy. I built a wheel right on my bike in about 2 1/2 hours - and it was only the second wheel I had built from scratch.

Good luck with this project. Someone is always trying to build a "better mousetrap". The difficulty in ideas is in pricing it so you make a decent return on your time while fulfulling "pent-up demand"...

I myself never saw the need for one because while touring in the outback (Australia) I never needed to true my 48 spoke 4X wheels. Lucky perhaps - but then I did have spare spokes and a nipple wrench..

tmac-100 said:
just trying to leapfrog all the spam with a few 'real' threads
thumb.gif

quinoa said:
Hi folks,

I am a 'professional bicycle commuter" (as I like to call myself) and do a lot of my own bicycle maintenance - as I know many others do as well. One challenge I always had was not having a truing stand to keep my wheels well-maintained. I know I can keep my wheel pretty well maintained with simply the break pads as a guide, but really notice the difference with a truing stand.

So I made a little tool that I can use to true my wheel almost perfectly while it is still on the bike and can also be used to adjust the dish and the dip fairly precisely, so essentially can be used to build a wheel on the bike as well.

My question is: Is this sort of tool of interest to others? I am wondering if I have just simply filled a personal need, or if such a tool would be of use to others who do their own maintenance. I know there are certainly many ways to do wheel maintenance without a stand, but this little tool seems to be very effective. I also think it would be useful in places like Cuba, where bicycle maintenance is so important, yet resources are limited.

I am considering trying to patent the tool, and even though I would love to make money off it if it was successful, have thought about donating the patent to a strong international cycling group, though do not really know which that would be yet - or if an appropriate group even exists.

Cheers,

chris
[email protected]

I bought a little thingy, a guide that bolts onto a brake shoe that is used to be a guide for wheel truing. I'll get the brand and post. I didn't carry it to sell because it retailed for $20, which I thought was high but I'll post the item and company.

quinoa said:
Hi folks,

Cheers,

chris

look at

Truism

http://www.truismtool.com
[email protected]

Look at Truism

http://www.truismtool.com

Well, the truism is a different design, but essentially a very similar tool. It is also a bit more limited than the design I have, but all in all - I guess someone beat me to the punch!

Thanks

chris

FWIW. Here are a couple of pics of the U-TRU-IT tool (circa 1980) ... the weight is 140g/(~5 oz) ...​

quinoa said:
Well, the truism is a different design, but essentially a very similar tool. It is also a bit more limited than the design I have, but all in all - I guess someone beat me to the punch!

Thanks

chris

I'd still give it a go.

I'm also a rabid commuter so I true my wheels a bunch. I use to take them in at 12 dollars a pop, but that was before I really got into the commuting. I started 6 years ago but it was on and off back then and I could afford to go to my LBS. Almost 2 years ago (Sept 18th) I started commuting full time and have only missed days where I was either sick, it rained, or other such "disasters."

BTW you never said was it similar to the setup the guy showed using the indicator dial? I built something similar to it with about 25 dollars worth of parts from Harbor Freight. I also use the dial indicator to setup my table saw so it get's multiple uses.

I recently upgraded my Park work stand with a TS-5 for about 26 dollars and am able to true my wheels really well. I recommend it if you have a park work stand that's compatible.

BTW are you a fan on Quinoa grain or is that your name? Just curious. I discovered Quinoa about 10 years ago and have been a rabid Quinoa enthusiast :D It really is a super food.

Another "power food" I discovered was a yoghurt called FAGE Greek Strained Yogurt. It's imported from Greece so it's a bit priceier but has like 17 grams of protein per serving. The light version is relatively low in fat. Seeing as how Greece is an EU nation it's also organic (or at least BGH free).

From what I understand it actually spawned Dannon to produce Activia as it uses the same cultures and it (Fage) is very popular in Europe. Anyway I love it because it's not as bitter as non strained yogurt. You can strain plain yogurt in a cheese cloth but by the time you get Organic yogurt and strain it it's actually cheaper to get the Greek stuff. I use to only find it at Fresh Market or Whole Foods but now Target carries it. It actually has a fan club on Facebook...

http://www.fageusa.com/products.html