Portland Forest Park Page

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Bb, May 15, 2003.

  1. Bb

    Bb Guest

    For many years, there was a page called "Coghead Corner" that provided good info on mountain biking
    "trails" (most are just fireroads) in Forest Park. It dissapeared last year, so I've been working on
    a new (and hopefully improved) version.

    Anyone in the Portland (Oregon) vicinity might be interested. Now I just need to figure out how to
    index this in Google, maybe indexing a reference to Coghead Corner as well since its still linked
    all over the place.

    http://bbauer.gomen.org/fpark/

  2. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    BB wrote:
    > For many years, there was a page called "Coghead Corner" that provided good info on mountain
    > biking "trails" (most are just fireroads) in Forest Park. It dissapeared last year, so I've been
    > working on a new (and hopefully improved) version.
    >
    > Anyone in the Portland (Oregon) vicinity might be interested. Now I just need to figure out how to
    > index this in Google, maybe indexing a reference to Coghead Corner as well since its still linked
    > all over the place.
    >
    > http://bbauer.gomen.org/fpark/

    Blaine do you know anything about how to code the META tags for your page? I'm no wizard, but I can
    do this. They are hidden attributes that hold the words and phrases that one might use to look it up
    in google. Your page doesn't appear to have any headers at all (?) I am sure one of the mega geeks
    here will correct me if I 'm wrong on any of this stuff.

    Alter this code and paste into your source code. This will also give you a title that appears in the
    browser instead of a URL, and just create a description and keywords appropriate for your page. This
    is off one of mine, you can see the keywords I use so that it pops right up in google.

    <HTML> <HEAD>

    <META NAME="description" CONTENT="Specialty Outdoors: Modification and Repairs for the outdoor
    enthusiast. Full service on outdoor clothing and equipment, "> <META NAME="keywords" CONTENT="
    repair, tent repair, outdoor gear, outdoor equipment, tents, zippers, skiwear, Gore-tex repair,
    alterations, sewing, outdoor sewing, custom sewing, custom outdoor gear; custom fleece, polartec
    sewing, skiwear repair, technical sewing, ">

    <TITLE>Specialty Outdoors: expert outdoor sewing and repair, modifications to gear, alterations
    </TITLE> </HEAD

  3. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > For many years, there was a page called "Coghead Corner" that provided good info on mountain
    > biking "trails" (most are just fireroads) in Forest Park. It dissapeared last year, so I've been
    > working on a new (and hopefully improved) version.
    >
    > Anyone in the Portland (Oregon) vicinity might be interested. Now I just need to figure out how to
    > index this in Google, maybe indexing a reference to Coghead Corner as well since its still linked
    > all over the place.
    >
    > http://bbauer.gomen.org/fpark/

    Your post will be archived on google, and it scans the posts for URLs, sends them off to
    googlebot, and tada.

    I get the googlebot on my server several times. i can't seem to get google to return anything in a
    search, but i see the bot in my logs.
    --
    ~Travis

  4. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Penny S. wrote:

    > Blaine do you know anything about how to code the META tags for your page? I'm no wizard, but I
    > can do this. They are hidden attributes that hold the words and phrases that one might use to look
    > it up in google. Your page doesn't appear to have any headers at all (?) I am sure one of the mega
    > geeks here will correct me if I 'm wrong on any of this stuff.

    Aye, I think everything inside the <HEAD> tags contributes, so bear in mind that the page title
    has an influence too. Type in 'shaun rimmer goats' in to Google and see what comes up (no meta
    tags used) :)

    Follow Penny's advice and you'll be sound.

  5. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Thu, 15 May 2003 12:32:07 -0700, Penny S. wrote:

    > Alter this code and paste into your source code. This will also give you a title that appears
    > in the browser instead of a URL, and just create a description and keywords appropriate for
    > your page.

    Thanks Penny. I totally forgot to put a title in there. I don't use some "webpage building" tool, in
    fact I use an editor that you'd probably consider hopelessly archaic (vi). I'll tack on those META
    tags and see how it goes. I knew it had something to do with those, I just wasn't sure what the tags
    were supposed to be (or how Google finds them).

    Gracias, merci, danke.. -BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

  6. Technician

    Technician Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, myarse247 @hotmail.com says...
    > Penny S. wrote:
    >
    > > Blaine do you know anything about how to code the META tags for your page? I'm no wizard, but I
    > > can do this. They are hidden attributes that hold the words and phrases that one might use to
    > > look it up in google. Your page doesn't appear to have any headers at all (?) I am sure one of
    > > the mega geeks here will correct me if I 'm wrong on any of this stuff.
    >
    > Aye, I think everything inside the <HEAD> tags contributes, so bear in mind that the page title
    > has an influence too. Type in 'shaun rimmer goats' in to Google and see what comes up (no meta
    > tags used) :)
    >
    > Follow Penny's advice and you'll be sound.

    Somehow... the guy fits the online personality. (just has kind of a goofy look in pic #3,
    nothing bad)
    --
    ~Travis

  7. Spider

    Spider Guest

    Technician wrote:

    > Your post will be archived on google, and it scans the posts for URLs, sends them off to
    > googlebot, and tada.
    >
    > I get the googlebot on my server several times. i can't seem to get google to return anything in a
    > search, but i see the bot in my logs.

    If you see bot's in your logs, you had better check your diet.

    -Spider

  8. Determined

    Determined Guest

    "Spider" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Technician wrote:
    > >
    > > Your post will be archived on google, and it scans the posts for URLs, sends them off to
    > > googlebot, and tada.
    > >
    > > I get the googlebot on my server several times. i can't seem to get google to return anything in
    > > a search, but i see the bot in my logs.
    >
    > If you see bot's in your logs, you had better check your diet.

    Corn is worse.

  9. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "Spider" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Technician wrote:
    > >
    > > Your post will be archived on google, and it scans the posts for URLs, sends them off to
    > > googlebot, and tada.
    > >
    > > I get the googlebot on my server several times. i can't seem to get google to return anything in
    > > a search, but i see the bot in my logs.
    >
    > If you see bot's in your logs, you had better check your diet.

    On behalf of Steve Baker and myself: PPPPFFFFFTTTTTTT!!!

    Bill "we're old AND slow, SB" S.

  10. Gabrielle

    Gabrielle Guest

    On Thu, 15 May 2003 13:11:25 -0700, BB wrote:

    > in fact I use an editor that you'd probably consider hopelessly archaic
    > (vi).

    "Hopelessly archaic"? Blasphemer! Do not malign the name of the great and wondrous "six editor" or I
    will call down the wrath of...of...

    Nevermind.

    gabrielle "vi vi vi", the editor of the beast

  11. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    "determined" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...

    > "Spider" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Technician wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Your post will be archived on google, and it scans the posts for URLs, sends them off to
    > > > googlebot, and tada.
    > > >
    > > > I get the googlebot on my server several times. i can't seem to get google to return anything
    > > > in a search, but i see the bot in my logs.
    > >
    > > If you see bot's in your logs, you had better check your diet.
    >
    > Corn is worse.

    And a marble even worse.
    --
    Slacker

  12. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    gabrielle wrote:

    >>in fact I use an editor that you'd probably consider hopelessly archaic
    >>(vi).
    >

    > "Hopelessly archaic"? Blasphemer! Do not malign the name of the great and wondrous "six editor" or
    > I will call down the wrath of...of...
    >
    > Nevermind.
    >
    > gabrielle "vi vi vi", the editor of the beast

    Oh my, a lady who mountain bikes and thinks vi is great? I think I'm in love... :)

  13. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > gabrielle wrote:
    >
    > >>in fact I use an editor that you'd probably consider hopelessly archaic
    > >>(vi).
    > >

    > > "Hopelessly archaic"? Blasphemer! Do not malign the name of the great and wondrous "six editor"
    > > or I will call down the wrath of...of...
    > >
    > > Nevermind.
    > >
    > > gabrielle "vi vi vi", the editor of the beast
    >
    > Oh my, a lady who mountain bikes and thinks vi is great? I think I'm in love... :)

    I never got used to vi, have always used pico.
    --
    ~Travis

  14. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    > Penny S. wrote:
    >
    > > Blaine do you know anything about how to code the META tags for your page? I'm no wizard, but I
    > > can do this. They are hidden attributes that
    hold
    > > the words and phrases that one might use to look it up in google. Your
    page
    > > doesn't appear to have any headers at all (?) I am sure one of the mega geeks here will correct
    > > me if I 'm wrong on any of this stuff.
    >
    > Aye, I think everything inside the <HEAD> tags contributes, so bear in mind that the page title
    > has an influence too. Type in 'shaun rimmer goats' in to Google and see what comes up (no meta
    > tags used) :)

    You bait me like a master - you are a master baitor Mr. Harris.

    Shaun aRe

  15. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Technician <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, myarse247 @hotmail.com says...
    > > Penny S. wrote:
    > >
    > > > Blaine do you know anything about how to code the META tags for
    your
    > > > page? I'm no wizard, but I can do this. They are hidden attributes
    that hold
    > > > the words and phrases that one might use to look it up in google. Your
    page
    > > > doesn't appear to have any headers at all (?) I am sure one of the
    mega
    > > > geeks here will correct me if I 'm wrong on any of this stuff.
    > >
    > > Aye, I think everything inside the <HEAD> tags contributes, so bear in mind that the page title
    > > has an influence too. Type in 'shaun rimmer goats' in to Google and see what comes up (no meta
    > > tags used) :)
    > >
    > > Follow Penny's advice and you'll be sound.
    > >

    > Somehow... the guy fits the online personality. (just has kind of a goofy look in pic #3,
    > nothing bad)

    I might appear 'goofy' to the ignorant and uninitiated, but I'm sharper than a new razor, child, so,
    watch your step.

    Shaun aRe - That tewd 'im.

  16. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > Technician <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...

    > your
    > that hold
    > page
    > mega
    > > >
    > > > Aye, I think everything inside the <HEAD> tags contributes, so bear in mind that the page
    > > > title has an influence too. Type in 'shaun rimmer goats' in to Google and see what comes up
    > > > (no meta tags used) :)
    > > >
    > > > Follow Penny's advice and you'll be sound.
    > > >

    > > Somehow... the guy fits the online personality. (just has kind of a goofy look in pic #3,
    > > nothing bad)
    >
    > I might appear 'goofy' to the ignorant and uninitiated, but I'm sharper than a new razor, child,
    > so, watch your step.
    >

    > Shaun aRe - That tewd 'im.

    he he he
    --