Portland Maine to Bar Harbor route?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mads

I'm flying to Portland Maine on the 25th via Newark (all the time praying Continental Airlines don't
trash my new StreetMachine). I need to get to Bar Harbor by mid afternoon on the 28th so I've got
two and half days in which to cycle it. Is cycling up Highway 1 advisable? It looks fairly straight
although one might be able to cut a bit out between Brunswick and Belfast/Searsport? I can cover up
to 100 miles in a day provided it's not too hilly or windy. I presume there are plenty of motels
along the way (?). Hopefully I haven't bitten off more than I can chew!

After a couple of days in Acadia NP I'll be taking the catamaran to Nova Scotia where I'll have a
lot more time and can take it a bit easier :)

Mads Hilberg

I can't speak for Highway 1 traffic, but anywhere on the coastal United States means Winds most of
the time. The direction is the key. Fair weather tend to be southerly and storms tend to be
northerly. Usually onshore.

The skeleton plan sure sounds like a wonderfull adventure. Wish it was me!!

--
Miles of Smiles,

Tom Blum Winter Haven, Florida Homebuilts: SWB Tour Easy Clone Speed Machine Clone

www.gate.net/~teblum

I can not advise on routes, but you can expect to pay $$$ to fly your bike from Newark to
Portland. It will likely require a box (which will not fit the bike) and Continental will probably
not know where to find such a box. It will help if you can get written confirmation of
Continental's bike policy.

BTW We could almost wave to each other over the Atlantic. I arrive in Denmark on the 22nd.

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> I'm flying to Portland Maine on the 25th via Newark (all the time praying Continental Airlines
> don't trash my new StreetMachine). I need to get to Bar Harbor by mid afternoon on the 28th so
> I've got two and half days in which to cycle it. Is cycling up Highway 1 advisable? It looks
> fairly straight although one might be able to cut a bit out between Brunswick and
> Belfast/Searsport? I can cover up to 100 miles in a day provided it's not too hilly or windy. I
> presume there are plenty of motels along the way (?). Hopefully I haven't bitten off more than I
> can chew!
>
> After a couple of days in Acadia NP I'll be taking the catamaran to Nova Scotia where I'll have a
> lot more time and can take it a bit easier :)
>
> Mads Hilberg

--

Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager http://www.clee.org
- Bellaire, TX USA -

Hwy 1 in Maine is neither flat nor straight, but it probably would make a very senic cycling
route. The traffic is not real light but its not that fast either and cyclist are somewhat common.
The coastal areas and villiages along there are very pretty. And the weather is cooler than most
of the US. I don't think that the wind will be bad in that area this time of year. The Maine
coastline is very rugged and wooded which reduces the effects of any wind (unless there are storms
ofcourse). Craig

"Mads" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm flying to Portland Maine on the 25th via Newark (all the time praying Continental Airlines
> don't trash my new StreetMachine). I need to get to Bar Harbor by mid afternoon on the 28th so
> I've got two and half days in which to cycle it. Is cycling up Highway 1 advisable? It looks
> fairly straight although one might be able to cut a bit out between Brunswick and
> Belfast/Searsport? I can cover up to 100 miles in a day provided it's not too hilly or windy. I
> presume there are plenty of motels along the way (?). Hopefully I haven't bitten off more than I
> can chew!
>
> After a couple of days in Acadia NP I'll be taking the catamaran to Nova Scotia where I'll have a
> lot more time and can take it a bit easier :)
>
> Mads Hilberg

> I can not advise on routes, but you can expect to pay $$$ to fly your bike
from Newark to
> Portland. It will likely require a box (which will not fit the bike) and
Continental will
> probably not know where to find such a box. It will help if you can get
written confirmation of
> Continental's bike policy.

I've been told and checked twice that the cost of the bike is $80 each way (for the internal flights
- transatlantic it just counts as 1 item of luggage), that boxes are available in Gatwick and
Halifax (where my return flight starts) and that they are 69x40x8.5 inches - just big enough for my
Streetmachine with a little bulge here or there! I booked rather late, so this is the best deal I
could get. I have seen a few bad stories about Continental and bikes (after I booked of course -
doh!). I just hope that I'll be an exception. I'll certainly make sure I turn up at the airport with
loads of time to spare.

I hope you have a great trip to Denmark.

Mads

"cbb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hwy 1 in Maine is neither flat nor straight, but it probably would make a very senic cycling
> route. The traffic is not real light but its not that fast either and cyclist are somewhat common.
> The coastal areas and villiages along there are very pretty. And the weather is cooler than most
> of the US. I don't think that the wind will be bad in that area this time of year. The Maine
> coastline is very rugged and wooded which reduces the effects of any wind (unless there are storms
> ofcourse). Craig

Thanks for your information. I guess I'll just have to cycle long and hard to make it to Bar Harbor
in 2.5 days. I don't suppose an inland route is going to be shorter/flatter/faster?

Mads

Unless Continental is different than other US airlines, they accept no financial responsibilty for
bicycle damage. Consider trip insurance (relatively inexpensive) or insuring bicycle at check-in
(I've never done this and not sure if it's possible). Trip insurance ($20 I believe) saved me $300
when United tore my frame in half 2 yrs ago.

Good luck! Maine and Nova Scotia are beautiful cycling areas. here are some photos from bike tours
of both areas: http://staff.goshenschools.org/dhoffman/photos.html

"Mads" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "cbb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hwy 1 in Maine is neither flat nor straight, but it probably would make a very senic cycling
> > route. The traffic is not real light but its not that fast either and cyclist are somewhat
> > common. The coastal areas and villiages along there are very pretty. And the weather is cooler
> > than most of the US. I don't think that the wind will be bad in that area this time of year. The
> > Maine coastline is very rugged and wooded which reduces the effects of any wind (unless there
> > are storms ofcourse). Craig
>
> Thanks for your information. I guess I'll just have to cycle long and hard to make it to Bar
> Harbor in 2.5 days. I don't suppose an inland route is going to be shorter/flatter/faster?
>
> Mads

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> > I can not advise on routes, but you can expect to pay $$$ to fly your bike
> from Newark to
> > Portland. It will likely require a box (which will not fit the bike) and
> Continental will
> > probably not know where to find such a box. It will help if you can get
> written confirmation of
> > Continental's bike policy.
>
> I've been told and checked twice that the cost of the bike is $80 each way (for the internal
> flights - transatlantic it just counts as 1 item of luggage), that boxes are available in Gatwick
> and Halifax (where my return flight starts) and that they are 69x40x8.5 inches - just big enough
> for my Streetmachine with a little bulge here or there! I booked rather late, so this is the best
> deal I could get. I have seen a few bad stories about Continental and bikes (after I booked of
> course - doh!). I just hope that I'll be an exception. I'll certainly make sure I turn up at the
> airport with loads of time to spare.

I last few Continental from Houston to Dulles as the domestic leg of my trip to Vienna. They charged
me $100 (in 2000) for that leg. Austria air on the return checked my bike through to the final
destination in Houston for no charge even though I had to clear customs in DC and the connecting
flight was Contenental.

The bike was my LWB Stratus in a BikePro soft sided Tandem case. It arrived fine.

> I hope you have a great trip to Denmark.

I'm looking forward two it. Six days and counting...

--
Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager http://www.clee.org
- Bellaire, TX USA -

Mads,

I live in Waterville, Maine and am fairly familiar with the terrain you need to cycle. Route One is traffic congested, high speed, and relatively little of it is scenic (i.e. going by the ocean). There are a few sections (around Warren) that are narrow and without suitable shoulders.

You might consider some inland routes to bypass the busy sections and save your ocean sightseeing for the Maritime Provinces. The best part of the Maine coast is away from Route 1, but on your tight schedule, you might have to take the fastest route.

The State of Maine has published a bike map (I have a copy somewhere but can't find it at the moment) that may give some alternative suggestions.

Good luck.

Doug O'Heir

I ve ridden several times on a bike and many times in a car from Dover, NH to Bar Harbor. Route 1 is
only used to cross the bridges (there are no other bridges in most cases). During the riding season
Route 1 is filled with cars trasveling fast on a narrow road with only occasional shoulders. It not
as bad as Route 1 in New Jersey but it's not a fun ride. It would be a shame to ride on it because
there are many good roads available.

Get a copy of DeLorme's Maine Atlas and sent me a note. I'll help you plan a route that fits
your style.

Roland

Status
Not open for further replies.