portuguese doping

acpinto

Jul 4, 2006
this happened 2 or 3 weeks ago but i was trying to get more material to write this thread.
but as usual in portugal when it comes to doping they only mention who get caught and nothing more.

The News, and i don't know if you guys are aware of it, is that the Team LA-MSS was caught with material that sugested the team induced doping on their cyclists.

as it apperar the team was already under investigation, when a cyclist died "after a fall". Then there was a rumor, in the peloton, that the cyclist had a problem ( the heart stoped ) before the fall. his was confirmed by the autopsy.
The a serious of cyclist houses and the team headquartes had a raid, where it was found hormones, blood, tranfusion equipment, etc.

Geting back to last season, the D-day of the "portuguese volta" was the stage of the "torre" ( in english is Tower ). there were several cyclist with hopes to win it. Eladio Jimenez, Xavier tondo, Jose Azevedo, candido barbosa, etc...

xavier tondo team ( LA MSS ) had a pace on the previous climb and on the begin of the "torre" ( it is a climb with 5,5 % over 33 Km ) so strong that João cabreira ( another LA MSS rider ) was leading the climb with only 6 cyclist left. Azevedo ( benfica ) already in troubles to kept with the lead group at 25 Kms to finish. Then Xavier tondo, attacked and only jimenez kept with him.
Orlando Rodrigues ( former banesto and team manager of benfica ) said something like this:
I'm proud of my man ( benfica was a favourite to that day and only azevedo survived losing about 2 minutes to jimenez that won the stage and about 1.45 to xavier ) with pace like this it is impossible to climb the "Torre" with the top riders.
at the begin of the season was implement a system like the french one. First test everyone went. Second test the values went very high and the cyclist found a breach in the rules that allowed them to avoid the surprise control and apear 2 days after for the test. Has a result of this the cyclists associaton ask our federation to leave this control method because it was not very well strutured. and could damage the sport.
Benfica criticised the association and their riders leave the association.

The rest of the story it is in the begin of this text.

The only article that said anything more was one that tell the story of many doctors came from spain to portugal after Operation Puerto.

Sorry for my bad english. This is another story of how the cycling world is loosing is credit.

Thanks for posting. Don't worry about your English. I was able to understand. :)

Anyways, yeah credibility in cycling does not exist. Money and power is all that matters. Cycling isn't the big demon either. It is the way of the world. Unfortunate really.

acpinto said:
this happened 2 or 3 weeks ago but i was trying to get more material to write this thread.
but as usual in portugal when it comes to doping they only mention who get caught and nothing more.

The News, and i don't know if you guys are aware of it, is that the Team LA-MSS was caught with material that sugested the team induced doping on their cyclists.

as it apperar the team was already under investigation, when a cyclist died "after a fall". Then there was a rumor, in the peloton, that the cyclist had a problem ( the heart stoped ) before the fall. his was confirmed by the autopsy.
The a serious of cyclist houses and the team headquartes had a raid, where it was found hormones, blood, tranfusion equipment, etc.

Geting back to last season, the D-day of the "portuguese volta" was the stage of the "torre" ( in english is Tower ). there were several cyclist with hopes to win it. Eladio Jimenez, Xavier tondo, Jose Azevedo, candido barbosa, etc...

xavier tondo team ( LA MSS ) had a pace on the previous climb and on the begin of the "torre" ( it is a climb with 5,5 % over 33 Km ) so strong that João cabreira ( another LA MSS rider ) was leading the climb with only 6 cyclist left. Azevedo ( benfica ) already in troubles to kept with the lead group at 25 Kms to finish. Then Xavier tondo, attacked and only jimenez kept with him.
Orlando Rodrigues ( former banesto and team manager of benfica ) said something like this:
I'm proud of my man ( benfica was a favourite to that day and only azevedo survived losing about 2 minutes to jimenez that won the stage and about 1.45 to xavier ) with pace like this it is impossible to climb the "Torre" with the top riders.
at the begin of the season was implement a system like the french one. First test everyone went. Second test the values went very high and the cyclist found a breach in the rules that allowed them to avoid the surprise control and apear 2 days after for the test. Has a result of this the cyclists associaton ask our federation to leave this control method because it was not very well strutured. and could damage the sport.

The only article that said anything more was one that tell the story of many doctors came from spain to portugal after Operation Puerto.

Sorry for my bad english. This is another story of how the cycling world is loosing is credit.

acpinto said:

thanks for that

What is most interesting about this is that it appears the Docs have moved from Spain to Portugal. Exspect to see certain riders moving to Portugal for the "good weather and car free roads"..... have you ever encountered a Portuguese driver ?

acpinto said:

:eek: :eek: :eek:

whiteboytrash said:
What is most interesting about this is that it appears the Docs have moved from Spain to Portugal. Exspect to see certain riders moving to Portugal for the "good weather and car free roads"..... have you ever encountered a Portuguese driver ?

:eek: :eek: :eek:
No, but I ate Nandos chicken once, so I am well versed in all aspects of Portugese culture and history.

Portugal has always been a doping hotbed. Where did Claus Moller do all his early formative pro racing?

classic1 said:
No, but I ate Nandos chicken once, so I am well versed in all aspects of Portugese culture and history.

Portugal has always been a doping hotbed. Where did Claus Moller do all his early formative pro racing?
extra perri perri?

thunder said:
extra perri perri?
Nope. Its embarrassing to have to get up and 2am and run my blurter under the cold tap to soothe the pain.

classic1 said:

OI! Nando's is a South African franchise...

Hmmm not sure where I was going with that but yeah um as you were.

Eldron said:
OI! Nando's is a South African franchise...

Hmmm not sure where I was going with that but yeah um as you were.
Well, you do have a nice flaming pepper as your avatar. :p

classic1 said:
Nope. Its embarrassing to have to get up and 2am and run my blurter under the cold tap to soothe the pain.
that might have something to do with a ghey disease mate.

TheDarkLord said:
Well, you do have a nice flaming pepper as your avatar. :p

This from a man who has a flaming sphincter as his avatar?

Bwaaaahahahahaha. Oh I kill me.

TheDarkLord said:
But you see, I didn't pick on classic1's comment. ;)

I wasn't so much picking as throwing in an overly proud south african correction!

Nando's is d@mn fine food. It can be ring stingingly hot but d@mn good none the less. Drug free too.

Wasn't it Simoni that blamed chicken for the cocaine? Or his mother's sweets? I forget... Wiat! Chicken was blamed for the steroids. Or was it the masking agent.

Either way - poor chicken!