Position/Saddle height poll

kennf

Jan 29, 2004
I'm curious at what the saddle height ranges are for people relative to inseam length. Using the old Lemond formula of .883 x inseam seems to put me about 3-4 cm. lower than what seems right for good extension. I've also read that his laid-back position had the saddle nose about 10-11 cm. behind the bottom bracket. Is there a modern trend towards higher seat with less set-back? Or is it just a case of one-size-does-not-fit-all.

So just for grins, post your saddle height (center of BB to top of saddle) and inseam length.

kennf said:
I'm curious at what the saddle height ranges are for people relative to inseam length. Using the old Lemond formula of .883 x inseam seems to put me about 3-4 cm. lower than what seems right for good extension. I've also read that his laid-back position had the saddle nose about 10-11 cm. behind the bottom bracket. Is there a modern trend towards higher seat with less set-back? Or is it just a case of one-size-does-not-fit-all.

So just for grins, post your saddle height (center of BB to top of saddle) and inseam length.
I have mine set so that I can lock out my knees just by pushing my heel toward the ground when I'm locked in the pedal. Although I prefer a squattier more powerful position, my knees have a different opinion. Now I'm practically fully extended at in my downstroke. My knees tracks better and I can ride for hours with no discomfort. FWIW my saddle height is 76cm (center of BB) and my inseam is about 83 (crank length 172.5). Also, I like the saddle set back at least 1 cm past center on a set back seatpost.

For many years I was of the higher is better school, but I now have my saddle lower and further back - instead of the classic plumb-bob from knee directly over pedal spindle, I tend to have my knee around an inch behind.

Works well for me, but this is like lovers - mine might not suit you and vice-versa. Just gotta try a lot till you get the right fit.