positive view of cyclists in the media

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Peter, Feb 4, 2006.

  1. Peter

    Peter Guest

    zoe williams, in todays guardian

    peter

    Tags:

  2. Ian B.

    Ian B. Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > zoe williams, in todays guardian

    Available on-line at http://tinyurl.com/dal4n. I guess though the
    average Guardian reader is of the same frame of mind, shame there's
    nothing like this in the Daily Mail ;-).

  3. Tim Binns

    Tim Binns Guest

    On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 13:20:54 +0000, "Ian B." <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Peter wrote:
    >> zoe williams, in todays guardian

    >Available on-line at http://tinyurl.com/dal4n. I guess though the
    >average Guardian reader is of the same frame of mind, shame there's
    >nothing like this in the Daily Mail ;-).

    If the Daily Mail ever covers cycling, it'll be in the context of its
    effect on house prices.

  4. On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 15:47:45 +0000, Tim Binns wrote:

    > If the Daily Mail ever covers cycling, it'll be in the context of its
    > effect on house prices.

    To really confuse a Mail reader, tell him that the cyclist is the
    natural predator of the asylum seeker.

  5. If it's the Express, then in the context of global warming.

  6. Mark McNeill

    Mark McNeill Guest

    Response to [email protected]:
    > If it's the Express, then in the context of global warming.

    "Was Diana Murdered By A Cyclist?"

    --
    Mark, UK
    "How many things which served us yesterday as articles of faith, are

  7. TheBagbournes wrote:

    > No, they can be a lot of uptight, ranting, intolerant, smug, arrogant
    > petrol-head arseholes:

    Now, as soon as I read that sentence, the words "Jeremy" and "Clarkson"
    immediately sprang to mind.... ;-)

    David Belcher

  8. In article <[email protected]>, Mark McNeill
    ([email protected]) wrote:
    > Response to [email protected]:
    > > If it's the Express, then in the context of global warming.

    > "Was Diana Murdered By A Cyclist?"

    Yes, one of those who deliberately "peddle" their machines into the path
    of a two-tonne Mercedes doing 120 mph, just for the insurance money...

    Every establishment needs an opposition.

  9. MichaelB

    MichaelB New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2004

    As someone who used to use and get rather irritated by car forums I can assure you the average cycling forum user is a much more intelligent and well balanced individual than their car forum counterpart. The contrast is similar to that of a man and an ape.

  10. In article <[email protected]>, MichaelB
    ([email protected]) wrote:

    > As someone who used to use and get rather irritated by car forums I can
    > assure you the average cycling forum user is a much more intelligent and
    > well balanced individual than their car forum counterpart. The contrast
    > is similar to that of a man and an ape.

    Way back when the InterWeb was new and frightening, "CAR" magazine
    trumpeted the forum attached to their web site. I had a look. The
    first thing I found were a bunch of idiots ranting about the uselessness
    of students. I wondered why anyone with an interest in motorcars should
    be so down on the people who would go on to design the next generation
    of motorcars, and advised them not to get ill, in case they found
    themselves in the presence of a former medical student.

    Then I left, closing the door quietly behind me.

    I have not been back.

    Official: Living in a wardrobe can be injurious to one's health
    <URL:http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,11069-1567961,00.html>

  11. dkahn400

    dkahn400 Guest

    Dave Larrington wrote:

    > Then I left, closing the door quietly behind me.
    >
    > I have not been back.

    Troll!

    --
    Dave...

  12. Mike Causer

    Mike Causer Guest

    On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 16:14:24 +0000, Dave Larrington wrote:

    > Way back when the InterWeb was new and frightening,

    Hang on, you survived the Dialog Corporation [1] -- and you say the Web
    was frightening??

    > "CAR" magazine trumpeted the forum attached to their web site. I had
    > a look. The first thing I found were a bunch of idiots ranting about
    > the uselessnes of students.

    I first bought CAR magazine when /I/ was a student. When it had
    Long John KickStart and Henry N. Manney III writing for it. Both are
    gone, it's written to appeal to a market I can't identify and I haven't
    bothered to read it for many years.

    Got lots of the 1960s and 1970s editions in the loft though.

    [1] Legs & I were briefly cow orkers in the Dialog nut mines.

    Mike

  13. Alex Potter

    Alex Potter Guest

    Mike Causer wrote on Monday 06 February 2006 22:57:

    > Long John KickStart

    "The throttle cable appears to be directly connected to the map" in
    Bike, circa 1975
    --
    Regards
    Alex

  14. Mike Causer

    Mike Causer Guest

    On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 23:03:54 +0000, Alex Potter wrote:

    > Mike Causer wrote on Monday 06 February 2006 22:57:
    >
    >> Long John KickStart

    > "The throttle cable appears to be directly connected to the map" in Bike,
    > circa 1975

    Somewhere (TM) I've got the first "Bike" which was a one-off special from
    "Car" and featured LJKS waxing eloquent on the Triumph Trident IIRC. So
    perhaps this quote is from his first go on a Honda CB750? In 1976 I
    bought a new CB400/4 and have never had a motorbike that made a noise to
    compare with it until the big V4 750.

    <look type="dour">
    Of course motorcycles are the spawn of Satan, and any enjoyment derived
    from the noise thereof is deprecated, and riding one will result in
    discmuniciction (oh buggrit!)
    </look>

    Mike

  15. Alex Potter

    Alex Potter Guest

    Mike Causer wrote on Monday 06 February 2006 23:37:

    > On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 23:03:54 +0000, Alex Potter wrote:
    >
    >> Mike Causer wrote on Monday 06 February 2006 22:57:
    >>
    >>> Long John KickStart

    >> "The throttle cable appears to be directly connected to the map" in
    >> Bike, circa 1975

    > Somewhere (TM) I've got the first "Bike" which was a one-off special
    > from
    > "Car" and featured LJKS waxing eloquent on the Triumph Trident IIRC.

    Nice machines when they weren't broken :)

    > So
    > perhaps this quote is from his first go on a Honda CB750?

    IIRC, it was the Mike Hailwood replica Duke, or maybe the 900SS.

    > In 1976 I
    > bought a new CB400/4 and have never had a motorbike that made a noise
    > to compare with it until the big V4 750.

    I rode a mate's 400/4 a few times - a bit on the small side for me, but
    a very sweet machine :) A very lovely shade of yellow too. About the
    only (motor) bike I've ridden that I didn't throw down the road. (made
    it shake its head a time or two though)

    --

  16. Mike Causer <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 23:03:54 +0000, Alex Potter wrote:

    >> Mike Causer wrote on Monday 06 February 2006 22:57:
    >>
    >>> Long John KickStart

    >> "The throttle cable appears to be directly connected to the map" in Bike,
    >> circa 1975

    > Somewhere (TM) I've got the first "Bike" which was a one-off special from
    > "Car" and featured LJKS waxing eloquent on the Triumph Trident IIRC.

    LJKS also had a nice column in CAR called (?) Handlebars, on bikes and
    bike technology. His articles on car and car technology were also
    good. Of course I haven't looked really hard, but I haven't noticed
    anyone writing in a car magazine in recent years with enough education
    and intelligence to be worth reading.

    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

  17. In article <pan.2006.02.06.22.57.34.411404
    @firstnamelastname.com.invalid>, Mike Causer
    ([email protected]) wrote:
    > On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 16:14:24 +0000, Dave Larrington wrote:
    >
    > > Way back when the InterWeb was new and frightening,

    > Hang on, you survived the Dialog Corporation [1] -- and you say the Web
    > was frightening??

    Ah, but this was /before/ I toiled in the service of Dialog, MAID or
    whatever it is that the Nut Mines are officially called[1] this week.

    > I first bought CAR magazine when /I/ was a student. When it had
    > Long John KickStart and Henry N. Manney III writing for it. Both are
    > gone, it's written to appeal to a market I can't identify and I haven't
    > bothered to read it for many years.

    Ar. Like much in the modern world it appears to be dumbing down
    somewhat, but it does still have Georg Kacher, Jamie Kitman and Gavin
    Green.

    > Got lots of the 1960s and 1970s editions in the loft though.

    My collection only goes back to 1989...

    1 - I /think/ we're now Thomson Business Intelligence, but ICBA to
    check...

    And I begged, "Angel of the Lord, what are these tortured screams?" And
    the angel said unto me, "These are the cries of the carrots, the cries
    of the carrots! You see, Reverend Maynard, tomorrow is harvest day and
    to them it is the holocaust."

  18. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Dave
    Larrington ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Ah, but this was before I toiled in the service of Dialog, MAID or
    > whatever it is that the Nut Mines are officially called[1] this week.

    Judging by their many websites, the Evil Squirrels don't seem terribly
    sure either:

    <URL:http://www.dialog.com/>
    <URL:http://www.profound.com/>
    <URL:http://www.elite.com/>
    <URL:http://www.newsedge.com/>

    I think they must have forgotten to write it on their slate when they did
    jury service. But I think you may be profound; it seems appropriate.

    ;; First they came for the asylum seekers,
    ;; and I did not speak out because I was not an asylum seeker.
    ;; Then they came for the gypsies,
    ;; and I did not speak out because I was not a gypsy...
    ;; Pastor Martin Niemöller, translated by Michael Howard.

  19. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>,
    Mike Causer ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > <look type="dour">
    > Of course motorcycles are the spawn of Satan, and any enjoyment
    > derived from the noise thereof is deprecated, and riding one will
    > result in discmuniciction (oh buggrit!)
    > </look>

    Nonsense. Although the scream of a two-stroke is always to be deprecated
    - especially when out in bits of otherwise pristine landscape - the
    syncopated off-beat of a big Harley, the howl of a Trident when it comes
    on song, and the gutteral roar of a Bonneville with open pipes are all,
    in their way and in their place, sublime. And a big Ducati Desmo single
    has a wonderful range of aural colour, from tickover right up to the red
    line. I'm not, personally, a motorbike fan, but these things are not
    transport, they're musical instruments.

    //==\- ||- | /__\( MS Windows IS an operating environment.
    //____\__||___|_// \|: C++ IS an object oriented programming language.
    \__/ ~~~~~~~~~ \__/ Citroen 2cv6 IS a four door family saloon.