Possible aurora

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Dirtylitterboxo, Nov 20, 2003.

  1. Okay guys - last time some of you missed it. But, there is a chance of seeing auroras tonight if you
    have a clear sky. See

    www.spaceweather.com www.aurorawatch.york.ac.uk

    As of now in Norfolk - clouds. BAH!

    Cheers, helen s

  2. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Okay guys - last time some of you missed it. But, there is a chance of
    seeing
    > auroras tonight if you have a clear sky. See
    >
    > www.spaceweather.com www.aurorawatch.york.ac.uk
    >
    > As of now in Norfolk - clouds. BAH!

    Yes, those sunspots from a month ago have come around again.

    I noticed this about an hour ago. See massive red region here: http://www.spacew.com/www/aurvis.gif

    from this site http://www.spacew.com/www/aurora.html

    - I'm cycling into the hills tonight to see if I can get a glimpse of it.

  3. > - I'm cycling into the hills tonight to see if I can get a glimpse of it.

    Good luck - it's incredibly cloudy round me, so no chance :-(

    Cheers, helen s

  4. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    > Okay guys - last time some of you missed it. But, there is a chance of seeing auroras tonight if
    > you have a clear sky. See

    Faint and static and monochrome over Dundee, but clearly there and rather attractive. Saw them
    cycling back from a ceilidh on the grassy beach cycle track between B'Ferry and Dundee, which is
    fairly dark. And the Obligatory Recumbent Plug: 'bents are *far* better for stargazing and aurora
    watching than a wedgie!

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  5. robbiew

    robbiew New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2003
    Saw them over East Lothian last night. reds and greens.

  6. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > - I'm cycling into the hills tonight to see if I can get a glimpse of
    it.

    > Good luck - it's incredibly cloudy round me, so no chance :-(
    >
    > Cheers, helen s

    Same here. I went out into the countryside at 2000, I had the surroundings and the music for a
    memorable experience, but it was overcast :-(. I happened to look out of the window to the north
    this morning at 0400 and it was completely clear but sod's law dictated that the event had
    passed by then.

    Hopefully it won't be the last aurora of this present sunspot cycle otherwise we'll have to wait
    another 11 years.

    Simon

  7. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On 20 Nov 2003 17:15:55 GMT, [email protected] (dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) wrote:

    >Okay guys - last time some of you missed it. But, there is a chance of seeing auroras tonight if
    >you have a clear sky.

    What's a clear sky?

    James

    --
    "Sorry mate, I didn't see you" is not a satisfactory excuse.

  8. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest