Possible bent parts in BMX catalog

Bill B

Guest
A friend of mine handed me a catalog that I have never heard of.I guess if I was a teeny bopper i
might have. Well ,looking through it I see some possible bent stuff like---20" forks with carbon
legs [14.7oz to 21.oz] A redline trainer that fits 20" to 24" wheels for &149.00. A nice bike stand
for $18.99. A ton of 20" tires ie kenda,primo,maxxis,snafu,tioga and they even have slicks and SEW
UPS [FOR BMX???]. The valve caps they offer are kind of cool Gotta get the eyeball ones hey hey. For
those that in the past have asked about short crank arms check this out----dotek crank arms
140mm,152,155,165,170 and 175mm $$29.99 or the more pricey crupi arms 135mm to 175mm in 5mm
incriments Both fit a square tapered spindle and both have a 110mm spider built in. Not sure if they
will work on a bent but i am sure some one out there in bentville will know the address is
www.danscomp.com

In regard to the short Cranks:

They have a 100mm bolt circle diameter. Dan's doesn't show any chain rings for this type crank.

A quick look at Nashbar doesn't show any 100 mm chain rings available, either.

Are such rings readily available? If so, Where?

--
Miles of Smiles,

Tom Blum Winter Haven, Florida Homebuilts: SWB Tour Easy Clone Speed Machine Clone

www.gate.net/~teblum

Should have been 110 mm bolt hole diameter, not 100 mm.

Tom

"Tom Blum" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> In regard to the short Cranks:
>
> They have a 100mm bolt circle diameter. Dan's doesn't show any chain rings for this type crank.
>
> A quick look at Nashbar doesn't show any 100 mm chain rings available, either.
>
> Are such rings readily available? If so, Where?
>

> --
> Miles of Smiles,
>
> Tom Blum Winter Haven, Florida Homebuilts: SWB Tour Easy Clone

Tom!!! My post sez 110mm.a quick look at nashbar chain rings shows several 110mm 5 bolt pattern
chain rings
> Speed Machine Clone
>
> www.gate.net/~teblum

The Doteks don't have the mounts for the 74mm inner ring unfortuately.

The smallest 110mm I have seen is 34. In combination with the extra space, this should be enough for
a 20" rear wheel bike.

"Tom Blum" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Should have been 110 mm bolt hole diameter, not 100 mm.
>
> Tom

Hi, Tom, I think you might have mis-read something.

The Dotek cranks at Dan's have a 110mm hole pattern.

Hope this helps.

Lewis.

http://home.earthlink.net/~limeylew/index.html

"Tom Blum" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> In regard to the short Cranks:
>
> They have a 100mm bolt circle diameter. Dan's doesn't show any chain rings for this type crank.
>
> A quick look at Nashbar doesn't show any 100 mm chain rings available, either.
>
> Are such rings readily available? If so, Where?
>

> --
> Miles of Smiles,
>
> Tom Blum Winter Haven, Florida Homebuilts: SWB Tour Easy Clone Speed Machine Clone
>
> www.gate.net/~teblum

"Alpha Beta" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> The Doteks don't have the mounts for the 74mm inner ring unfortuately.
>
> The smallest 110mm I have seen is 34. In combination with the extra space, this should be enough
> for a 20" rear wheel bike.

The Doteks do have an area cast into the arms where they can be tapped for either 74 or 58 mm inner
rings. Terry Osell has done several in both sizes, using an old chainring as a guide. I believe MSC
has the necessary 8mm x 0.75mm taps.

QBP sells the Doteks under their Big Cheese label. The first batch that came in (3-4 years ago) were
tapped for 74mm inner rings, so I assume that they are sold that way somewhere in the world.
Probably someplace where people are smaller.

BTW the Doteks have a very wide "Q factor", while the Crupis are among the narrowest cranks
currently made.

"Don" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I do most of my riding in Kansas. I would like to be able to use my normal prescription glasses
> and noticed this helmet accessory to shield your eyes from the sun. Has anyone tried these and are
> they worth buying?
>

> Don Carden, Bacchetta Giro Kansas
>
>I have a couple of these, green and amber. I like them for wind/rain and
sun protection. They do tend to fog up a bit when it's really cold. For me, though, the best feature
is being able to wear my regular bifocal lenses and still get sun protection.

Tom Thompson

Thanks Tom. I was also able to find a similar thread in the archives where this had been discussed
in the past. Looks like it would work for what I need.

Don

Tom Thompson wrote:

>>I have a couple of these, green and amber. I like them for wind/rain and
>>
> sun protection. They do tend to fog up a bit when it's really cold. For me, though, the best
> feature is being able to wear my regular bifocal lenses and still get sun protection.
>
> Tom Thompson

Tom, do they cut down on any cooling effect when it's warm out?

Tom Thompson wrote:
> "Don" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>>I do most of my riding in Kansas. I would like to be able to use my normal prescription glasses
>>and noticed this helmet accessory to shield your eyes from the sun. Has anyone tried these and are
>>they worth buying?
>>

>>Don Carden, Bacchetta Giro Kansas
>>
>>I have a couple of these, green and amber. I like them for wind/rain and
>
> sun protection. They do tend to fog up a bit when it's really cold. For me, though, the best
> feature is being able to wear my regular bifocal lenses and still get sun protection.
>
> Tom Thompson

Don <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I do most of my riding in Kansas. I would like to be able to use my normal prescription glasses
> and noticed this helmet accessory to shield your eyes from the sun. Has anyone tried these and are
> they worth buying?
>

> Don Carden, Bacchetta Giro Kansas
>
> http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/readitem.pl?Accessory=988316957
ive been using the helmet gear visor for about three years now. I like the product. the velcro that
attaches to the helmet will after awhile will start to lose it's sticky. I attached each side of the
velcro with zip ties going through the velcro helmet and through a round[button] quarter size peace
of milk jug and back through the button helmet and velcro. I remove the tinted visor alot and attach
it up side down on occasion. Also use the clear at night alot to. great product

> I do most of my riding in Kansas. I would like to be able to use my normal prescription glasses
> and noticed this helmet accessory to shield your eyes from the sun. Has anyone tried these and are
> they worth buying?

Perfomance Cyle also carries a similar, if not identical product. I used the clear one until the
self stick adhesive came undone, but didn't bother to replace. Since I don't often ride in the
afternoon sun, I have never opened or used the dark green one I bought, I needed it for wind
protection, and found it worked very good for that, and also save me once or twice from small ufo
kicked up from a passing car or flying insects.

I found what might be considered a sort of safety glasses that will fit over my regular glasses, and
allow me to attach a mirror to, something that was unsatisfactory with the product mentioned. Since
I have a USS bent, I still need the glasses mounted mirror. I bought these glasses at a supply shop
for visually impaired & blind at a cost of $10. They come in various colors, including smoke and
clear and work fine for me while wearing a helmet. Only time I've had a problem was trying to fit
one of those 'ski mask' affairs into the mix, just too much... Oh, and they are susceptable to
fogging so you must take them off when you stop on a cold morning, but the clear up pretty fast.

Mike E

On Sun, 09 Feb 2003 18:55:05 GMT, Don <[email protected]> wrote:

>I do most of my riding in Kansas. I would like to be able to use my normal prescription glasses

Probably not as 'cool' as a face-shield, but there are cheap 'over glasses' sunglasses available for
about $8-10 at many drug stores. They're available in several shades of amber and grey.

They're available from web sources, as well, e.g.:

http://www.shadesofdistinction.com/products.asp?Cat=15

I use glasses like these over bifocals and they work well in cold weather and fast decents,
shielding eyes from wind. Since they wrap-around to sides, they also help with side glare.

For further sun protection, I added a thin flexible foam extension to my helmet visor for those
early morning and late afternoon 'into-the-sun' rides. Available at hobby supplies store, this foam
is 1/8" thick matt black and simply tacked with hot glue to the underside of the OE visor. Prior to
that, I wore a 'ball cap' under my helmet.

Jon Meinecke

I used the subj. sheild for a year. I liked it however it earned me the name "Dork Vader" I had a
tinted one and a yellow. They were good bug catchers and kept my eyes froem tearing excessivly as
they have a tendency to do. They do scratch easily but storing them when not in use in a cotton sock
helped. Also the if you leave your helmet in a car or in the sun during summer, the adhesive for the
velcro attachment will peel off. Fogging becomes a problem in the winter as was already mentioned. A
friend uses goggled from the local ATV center. They cover his glasses and don't fog even when a
neoprene face mask is used over the nose and mouth. These visors work well in all but winter
conditions and I may continue to use them as needed in the spring/summer and fall.

Jude

"Jon Meinecke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 09 Feb 2003 18:55:05 GMT, Don <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I do most of my riding in Kansas. I would like to be able to use my normal prescription glasses
>
> Probably not as 'cool' as a face-shield, but there are cheap 'over glasses' sunglasses available
> for about $8-10 at many drug stores. They're available in several shades of amber and grey.
>
> They're available from web sources, as well, e.g.:
>
> http://www.shadesofdistinction.com/products.asp?Cat=15
>
> I use glasses like these over bifocals and they work well in cold weather and fast decents,
> shielding eyes from wind. Since they wrap-around to sides, they also help with side glare.
>
> For further sun protection, I added a thin flexible foam extension to my helmet visor for those
> early morning and late afternoon 'into-the-sun' rides. Available at hobby supplies store, this
> foam is 1/8" thick matt black and simply tacked with hot glue to the underside of the OE visor.
> Prior to that, I wore a 'ball cap' under my helmet.
>
> Jon Meinecke

"Jude T. McGloin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I used the subj. sheild for a year. I liked it however it earned me the name "Dork Vader" I had a
> tinted one and a yellow. They were good bug catchers and kept my eyes froem tearing excessivly as
> they have a tendency to do. They do scratch easily but storing them when not in use in a cotton
> sock helped. Also the if you leave your helmet in a car or in the sun during summer, the adhesive
> for the velcro attachment will peel off. Fogging becomes a problem in the winter as was already
> mentioned. A friend uses goggled from the local ATV center. They cover his glasses and don't fog
> even when a neoprene face mask is used over the nose and mouth. These visors work well in all but
> winter conditions and I may continue to use them as needed in the spring/summer and fall.
>
> Jude
>

> "Jon Meinecke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

I have been using a brand of fishing sun glasses called "Fitovers", the are in three sizes to fit
over regular prescription glasses, come with cleaning cloth, case and retainers. I have two pair one
in amber for late or early in the day riding and the dark pair for regular daytime. These look just
like normal sun glasses. I found mine at a fishing tackle store, I have seen them in Cabelas
cataloge and in Bas Pro shop catalogs. Cost about $60.00. Bob Fleer Vision R44