POSSIBLE CANCELLATION OF MARATHON IN UNICON 12

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by Jack Halpern, Jul 28, 2004.

  1. Jack Halpern

    Jack Halpern Guest

    IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

    A typhoon has hit the Tokyo area and will be passing through on July 29. If there are strong rains
    and wind there is some possibility that the marathon may need to be canceled.

    We will make a final decision by 9am on July 29 and post that decision by the entrance of Building
    C. You can also get information from Unicon Headquarters, room #415 in the Central Tower.

    Jack Halpern
    Convention Chairman

    JACK HALPERN
    Unicon XII Convention Chairman
    Executive Director for International Development
    International Unicycling Federation, Inc.
    Website: http://www.kanji.org

    Tags:

  2. leo

    leo Guest

    Other sports are affected by typhoons sometimes as well. 'Watch this
    movie' (http://www.retecool.com/filmpies/stormachtig.html)! Amazing.

    --
    leo - errorist

    Leo Vandewoestijne [-lay?oh! fun-duh-wwho-styne-uhh-]
    866-UNI-CYCL
    'unicycle.net' (http://www.unicycle.net/) (about me)
    'unicyclist.org' (http://unicyclist.org/) (for all unicyclists and
    alike)

    Dutch radio reporter Jaques Chapel in Athens, checking an ISDN line
    before an Olympic radio broadcast while getting used to security
    measures: "and suddenly I have a soldier pointing a machine gun in my
    back. So, I talk English, he shouts Greek. So what do you do? Just
    ignore him and finish the job".
    leo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/224

  3. tomblackwood

    tomblackwood Guest

    leo wrote:
    > *Other sports are affected by typhoons sometimes as well. 'Watch this
    > movie' (http://www.retecool.com/filmpies/stormachtig.html)! Amazing. *

    Holy cow! What is amazing is the number of people that just decide to
    stand there and watch the thing. I'm not a fast runner, but I would
    have been in the next town by that part of the clip.

    On a partly-related side note, I had a similar experience with a small
    twister while riding my motorcycle across the US many years ago. As I
    was cruising across Wyoming at 60 mph when I saw a "dust devil" (small
    funnel twister) form about 1/4 of a mile (15 seconds) in front of me on
    the highway. It wasn't as big as that thing in the film, but it was
    decent size...probably at least 30 to 40 feet tall, 5 or 6 feet across.
    I started slowing down and heading for the right shoulder when it hit
    me. The next thing I knew I was still moving forward, but almost off the
    left shoulder of the road. This was Interstate 80, so it basically
    transported me across two very wide lanes in less time than I could
    think or react.

    A pants-soiling experience...

    --
    tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

    Tailgate at your own risk.....

  4. leo

    leo Guest

    Yes, I don't think I would have been looking at this twister for long
    to!

    Last year I was riding a car in Belgium, riding to a unicycle event. A
    girl from Zagreb and a half-Turkish boy were with me, and noticed 4 more
    vertical than diagonal thin parralel windy "stripes" were moving
    parralel to this road with us, in exact the same speed. I've decided to
    film it, but it turn out my camera was in picture mode. The pictures
    showed this weird wind stripes, but a freezed shot of it looked just
    like the stripes you sometimes see at planes. The constant (and equal to
    our) speed, and this constant distance made it a spooky happening.