Possible Invention: DV recorder (just the recorder)

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Technician, May 7, 2003.

  1. Technician

    Technician Guest

    Ok, i just happened to think of this.

    Ok, so you have all these lipstick cams, and in order to use them for mountain biking, you have to
    buy a recorder that has the camera already built in, no doubt jacking up the cost.

    So you have just a regular recorder that accepts just a composite signal and audio for inputs. and
    to save weight, there is just the basics. a recorder, and a tiny micro view screen (like in some
    digital photo cameras)) to make sure the camera in outputting a signal, and to aid in lining up the
    camera. then, it has a wireless remote (RF, not IR) with a record/pause button, and an LED that
    lights green when ready, and red when recording.

    Now, given the minimal extras that take power, it should last on a single battery for a while. and
    there are several high resolution video cameras available that can plug into the video input if you
    want more than what a lipstick cam can offer.

    Just a thought though.
    --
    ~Travis

    travis57 at megalink dot net

    Tags:

  2. Pete

    Pete Guest

    > Ok, i just happened to think of this.

    25 years to late.

    Portable, noncamera video recorders have been around since the beginning.

    If you want to go all digital, check out the Archos AV-120. Add a wireless transmitter/receiver from
    the helmet cam, and record MP4 direct to the hard disk.

    This is out of your budget, tho, Trav.

    Pete

  3. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    "Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Ok, i just happened to think of this.
    > >

    > 25 years to late.
    >
    > Portable, noncamera video recorders have been around since the beginning.
    >
    > If you want to go all digital, check out the Archos AV-120. Add a wireless transmitter/receiver
    > from the helmet cam, and record MP4 direct to the
    hard
    > disk.
    >
    > This is out of your budget, tho, Trav.

    Totally sweet! Is that your setup, Pete? MPEG 4 is the way to go. The Archos has hardware MPEG 4
    encoding? That takes a lot of CPU horsepower.

    -Barry

  4. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Ok, i just happened to think of this.
    > >

    > 25 years to late.
    >
    > Portable, noncamera video recorders have been around since the beginning.
    >
    > If you want to go all digital, check out the Archos AV-120. Add a wireless transmitter/receiver
    > from the helmet cam, and record MP4 direct to the hard disk.
    >
    > This is out of your budget, tho, Trav.
    >
    > Pete

    Nah, too complex. i meant something that was the same as the recorder in a DV camera (not top of the
    line, and not fully loaded). not a mini digital editing studio.

    And i wasn't planning to buy one, i just thought they would be handy. i mean, if you want to make a
    video while biking, skiing/snowboarding, or whatever, it would be small enough and light enough to
    toss in a bak, or may by even just a fanny pack. then you can supply your own camera (and power
    source for it) and audio source. so when you get home, then you can download it to the computer and
    begin editing.

    I know i have seen simple portable VHS recorders, but those a re a bit too clunky for MTB
    applications, and i doubt it would fit in a bak (i know my full size VHS camera doesn't, just too
    friggen clunky. and no, this thing would not be practical to be worn helmet mounted like Pete's
    digital video camera).

    And it should not have to be very big. hell, one should fit in the case of this old CB radio i have
    and still have room for batteries, and lots of extra space, and yet it would fit with ease in a bak.

    So yes, i know they already have this type of thing out, but those that are out are way more than is
    needed. it's the Sony marketing scheme. give it millions of features, lots of marketing, crappy
    recording quality, and then lets charge 'em thousands of dollars for all the extra crap when the
    base line quality of the recorder alone is worth maybe $100.
    --
    ~Travis

    travis57 at megalink dot net

  5. Pete

    Pete Guest

    "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote

    > So yes, i know they already have this type of thing out, but those that are out are way more than
    > is needed. it's the Sony marketing scheme. give it millions of features, lots of marketing, crappy
    > recording quality, and then lets charge 'em thousands of dollars for all the extra crap when the
    > base line quality of the recorder alone is worth maybe $100.

    8mm versions have also existed forever.

    ebay is your friend. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3022416538&category=21168

    Sony, 8mm, little screen, small enough to fit in a camelback. Current bid of $153.

    Pete

  6. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote
    > >
    > > So yes, i know they already have this type of thing out, but those that are out are way more
    > > than is needed. it's the Sony marketing scheme. give it millions of features, lots of marketing,
    > > crappy recording quality, and then lets charge 'em thousands of dollars for all the extra crap
    > > when the base line quality of the recorder alone is worth maybe $100.
    >
    > 8mm versions have also existed forever.
    >
    > ebay is your friend. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3022416538&category=21168
    >
    > Sony, 8mm, little screen, small enough to fit in a camelback. Current bid of $153.
    >
    > Pete

    figures, too rich for my blood.

    Ahh well, i was only plotting an invention anyway. Ahh, but wait, it is analog. i have yet to see
    one that is digital.

    'tis a good find though. i'll have to remember that model for future reference.
    --
    ~Travis

    travis57 at megalink dot net

  7. Bob Rahgers

    Bob Rahgers Guest

  8. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    > > "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Ok, i just happened to think of this.
    > > >

    > > 25 years to late.
    > >
    > > Portable, noncamera video recorders have been around since the
    beginning.

    > > If you want to go all digital, check out the Archos AV-120. Add a
    wireless
    > > transmitter/receiver from the helmet cam, and record MP4 direct to the
    hard
    > > disk.
    > >
    > > This is out of your budget, tho, Trav.
    > >
    > > Pete

    > Nah, too complex. i meant something that was the same as the recorder in a DV camera (not top of
    > the line, and not fully loaded).

    Let's talk about complex: Have a look at the inside of a DV camcorder. It's like a little jewelry
    box in there. See all those shiny metal and plastic bits? Very fragile. Expensive to manufacture.
    Not ideally suited for mishandling, dusty environments, etc. Basically, they're a poor solution to
    the problem. They exist because DV exists. Recording to flash memory with on-the-fly MPEG 4 encoding
    is a better solution.

    I designed such a device about 7 years ago. It was to be a monster PDA, with a detachable video
    camera, mic, A/V jacks, digital I/O and lots of flash RAM. Back then it would have cost a fortune.
    Nowadays, it could easily be done, since CPU horsepower and MPEG video standards are finally able to
    make such a device practical.

    > And i wasn't planning to buy one, i just thought they would be handy. i

    They would be very handy, as long as they were durable. We'll have to wait for OLED flexible
    displays to become more common before we can build a device such as I've outlined that can withstand
    some abuse. LCD's are very fragile.

    > So yes, i know they already have this type of thing out, but those that are out are way more than
    > is needed.

    I think Panasonic has a combo digital camera and video recorder that is very tiny and records to
    flash RAM. Check it out. It's under $300, possibly much less.

    -Barry

  9. Pete

    Pete Guest

    "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote

    > figures, too rich for my blood.
    >
    > Ahh well, i was only plotting an invention anyway. Ahh, but wait, it is analog. i have yet to see
    > one that is digital.
    >
    > 'tis a good find though. i'll have to remember that model for future reference.
    > --

    There is, as with bikes, a minimum level of quality/price.

    Digital/portable/small/tough/versatile = not cheap. At least not as cheap as *you* want.

    A $100 portable DV recorder does not exist yet.

    Go get a Hi8 camcorder for $250 new. waaaa...it's not digital. So freakin what. Practice, practice,
    practice. Technique, editing, and processing is far more important than digital vs analog.

    A crappy movie done with $20k of equipment is still a crappy movie.

    Pete