Possible long commute - how not to stink?

Chris Bardell

Guest
Hi all,

Just started new job this week - enjoying it. Did a dry-run bike ride a few weeks ago after being
offered the job - nice backroads route comes in at
19.5 miles each way.

Want to start cycle-commuting 1, 2 or 3 days/week, changing into work clothes when I get there.
Distance within my capabilities, but apparently no shower facilities at the workplace.

Anyone have any tips or suggns on what to do? Thinking of buying a washing-up bowl & flannel &
liquid soap - doing some sort of rub-down in a bog cubicle. Hate feeling sweaty or smelly at work -
don't consider myself a smelly git normally, but it's a long ride...

Any suggns apprec - thanks! Apologies for asking y'all your deepest, darkest personal hygiene
questions - it's just that I really don't want to be caging it there & back every day.

Chris Bardell wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Just started new job this week - enjoying it. Did a dry-run bike ride a few weeks ago after being
>offered the job - nice backroads route comes in at
>19.5 miles each way.
>
>Want to start cycle-commuting 1, 2 or 3 days/week, changing into work clothes when I get there.
>Distance within my capabilities, but apparently no shower facilities at the workplace.
>
>Anyone have any tips or suggns on what to do? Thinking of buying a washing-up bowl & flannel &
>liquid soap - doing some sort of rub-down in a bog cubicle. Hate feeling sweaty or smelly at work -
>don't consider myself a smelly git normally, but it's a long ride...
>
>Any suggns apprec - thanks! Apologies for asking y'all your deepest, darkest personal hygiene
>questions - it's just that I really don't want to be caging it there & back every day.

You need two simple to use items:

#1 http://www.safetycentral.com/25galsolsuns.html

#2 http://www.safetycentral.com/privacyshelter.html
--
remove remove to reply

> Anyone have any tips or suggns on what to do? Thinking of buying a washing-up bowl & flannel &
> liquid soap - doing some sort of rub-down in a bog cubicle. Hate feeling sweaty or smelly at work
> - don't consider myself a smelly git normally, but it's a long ride...
>
> Any suggns apprec - thanks! Apologies for asking y'all your deepest, darkest personal hygiene
> questions - it's just that I really don't want to be caging it there & back every day.

hi ... im trying to get my 15 mile each way commute started too and this was a reply of mine about
this very subject recently:-

---
"when i start my commute this will be an issue for me too

my plan so far is:-

a strip to undies with a quick wash with foamy stuff then into a toilet cubicle for a hot wet
towelling followed by the dry towelling then the sweet smellies and finally the clothes

as i'll be arriving for work earlier than most of the folk im hoping this can be acomplished in very
quick time and will use a toilet cubicle for most of it so minimum time required out in public ...
dont wanna put anyone off their breakfast but i also dont wanna pong all day either ! ;)"
---

on considering it i think the only thing i'll change is soak the one towell in nice hot water and
then go into cubicle and strip, wash, etc so no public display at all that way ;)

Not a bad plan, my man - like the idea of soaking a towel in hot water, so it's possible to
disappear to a cubicle & get the cleanup done in private without spilling water all over the floor.
Hadn't thought of that...

Thanks for the suggns - think that could work well.

Anyone with any more? Thanks.

"doobrie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> my plan so far is:-
>
> a strip to undies with a quick wash with foamy stuff then into a toilet cubicle for a hot wet
> towelling followed by the dry towelling then the sweet smellies and finally the clothes

"Chris Bardell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> Just started new job this week - enjoying it. Did a dry-run bike ride a
few
> weeks ago after being offered the job - nice backroads route comes in at
> 19.5 miles each way.
>
> Want to start cycle-commuting 1, 2 or 3 days/week, changing into work clothes when I get there.
> Distance within my capabilities, but apparently
no
> shower facilities at the workplace.
>
> Anyone have any tips or suggns on what to do? Thinking of buying a washing-up bowl & flannel &
> liquid soap - doing some sort of rub-down in a bog cubicle. Hate feeling sweaty or smelly at work
> - don't consider myself
> smelly git normally, but it's a long ride...
>
> Any suggns apprec - thanks! Apologies for asking y'all your deepest,
darkest
> personal hygiene questions - it's just that I really don't want to be
caging
> it there & back every day.

Actually, sweat need not necessarily smell bad. Stale sweat stinks! I always shower _before_ leaving
home. I may get warm but I don't get smelly.

I never push it too hard on my morning run, and try not to overdress for the temperature. Luckily
I'm one of those odd sorts who doesn't mind getting a little wet (having realised long ago that 100%
breathability AND 100% waterproof just does not exist.)

Back packs are not a good idea.

Of course none of this is any help at all if the previous evening was spent consuming copious
quantities of beer and curry.

--
Cheerful pedalling John Mallard take out the_bike_ to reply

> Actually, sweat need not necessarily smell bad. Stale sweat stinks! I always shower _before_
> leaving home. I may get warm but I don't get smelly.

for me i cant think too much in the morning before exercise of any sort otherwise by then im trying
to talk myself out of it ... so i have to get ready night before and just roll out of bed and into
exercise of the days choice, be it swimming or cycling or other ....

basically get moving before my brain has a chance to realise whats happening and by the time it does
its too late ;)

"doobrie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> for me i cant think too much in the morning before exercise of any sort otherwise by then im
> trying to talk myself out of it ... so i have to get ready night before and just roll out of bed
> and into exercise of the days choice, be it swimming or cycling or other ....
>
> basically get moving before my brain has a chance to realise whats happening and by the time it
> does its too late ;)

Wow, I'm glad you're not in South Birmingham Doobrie. I'd hate to come across you sleep riding
to work. ;-)

--
Cheerful pedalling John Mallard take out the_bike_ to reply

> > basically get moving before my brain has a chance to realise whats happening and by the time it
> > does its too late ;)
>
> Wow, I'm glad you're not in South Birmingham Doobrie. I'd hate to come across you sleep riding to
> work. ;-)

riding to work ... a pipe dream, for those with road worthy bikes ....sigh!!

"Chris Bardell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> Just started new job this week - enjoying it. Did a dry-run bike ride a
few
> weeks ago after being offered the job - nice backroads route comes in at
> 19.5 miles each way.
>
> Want to start cycle-commuting 1, 2 or 3 days/week, changing into work clothes when I get there.
> Distance within my capabilities, but apparently
no
> shower facilities at the workplace.
>
> Anyone have any tips or suggns on what to do? Thinking of buying a washing-up bowl & flannel &
> liquid soap - doing some sort of rub-down in a bog cubicle. Hate feeling sweaty or smelly at work
> - don't consider myself
> smelly git normally, but it's a long ride...
>
> Any suggns apprec - thanks! Apologies for asking y'all your deepest,
darkest
> personal hygiene questions - it's just that I really don't want to be
caging
> it there & back every day.

A good flannelling off of the sweaty bits in the bog will work fine. Don't overdo the Right Guard as
that stinks much worse than clean fresh sweat.

"Chris Bardell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi all,

> Any suggns apprec - thanks! Apologies for asking y'all your deepest, darkest personal hygiene
> questions - it's just that I really don't want to be caging it there & back every day.

Have a shower and put on anti-perspirant before you go to work. At work, if there is any sweat, it
will not be stale and can be towelled off with paper towels. Spray a bit of deodorant on and there
you go. We have showers at work, but I never need to use them except on days I when get totally
drenched. Simon Mason Hull

"Chris Bardell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> Just started new job this week - enjoying it. Did a dry-run bike ride a
few
> weeks ago after being offered the job - nice backroads route comes in at
> 19.5 miles each way.
>
> Want to start cycle-commuting 1, 2 or 3 days/week, changing into work clothes when I get there.
> Distance within my capabilities, but apparently
no
> shower facilities at the workplace.
>
> Anyone have any tips or suggns on what to do? Thinking of buying a washing-up bowl & flannel &
> liquid soap - doing some sort of rub-down in a bog cubicle. Hate feeling sweaty or smelly at work
> - don't consider myself
> smelly git normally, but it's a long ride...
>
> Any suggns apprec - thanks! Apologies for asking y'all your deepest,
darkest
> personal hygiene questions - it's just that I really don't want to be
caging
> it there & back every day.

Hi there, i find staying outside for 5-10 minutes to cool off good, then strip down in the loo, rub
down with a dry towel, deoderant and new clothes sorted.

remember sweat doesnt smell, dry sweat smells so as long as you rub yourself down you will be fine!

Dont think i smell at all! (hope)

"Chris Bardell" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
> Want to start cycle-commuting 1, 2 or 3 days/week, changing into work clothes when I get there.
> Distance within my capabilities, but apparently no shower facilities at the workplace.
>
> Anyone have any tips or suggns on what to do? Thinking of buying a washing-up bowl & flannel &
> liquid soap - doing some sort of rub-down in a bog cubicle. Hate feeling sweaty or smelly at work
> - don't consider myself a smelly git normally, but it's a long ride...

I second many of the useful suggestions here. My work place has a shower (but I hardly ever use it)
but it also has a disabled toilet which I use for the quick wash and rub down. There's lots more
room than the standard toilet cubicle.

I also recommend those "deodorant wipes" that seem to be aimed at 24 hour party people.

Toby

--
Remove spamtrap to reply by mail

"Chris Bardell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> Just started new job this week - enjoying it. Did a dry-run bike ride a
few
> weeks ago after being offered the job - nice backroads route comes in at
> 19.5 miles each way.
>
> Want to start cycle-commuting 1, 2 or 3 days/week, changing into work clothes when I get there.
> Distance within my capabilities, but apparently
no
> shower facilities at the workplace.
>
> Anyone have any tips or suggns on what to do? Thinking of buying a washing-up bowl & flannel &
> liquid soap - doing some sort of rub-down in a bog cubicle. Hate feeling sweaty or smelly at work
> - don't consider myself
> smelly git normally, but it's a long ride...
>
> Any suggns apprec - thanks! Apologies for asking y'all your deepest,
darkest
> personal hygiene questions - it's just that I really don't want to be
caging
> it there & back every day.

Chris, Raise the issue with your management, suggest they might be able to do their bit for the
environment / congestion / obesity, by simply installing a shower and secure cycle parking facility.
This could then be used to promote the company's positive approach in the local press, providing
free publicity and advertising opportunities. Until they comply, cycle in, going for personal bests
every morning. Then spend the day being sweaty / smelly....worked for me, results in no time
;-)...but do remind them they need a working extraction fan in the shower room otherwise the
humidity will just keep you sweating.....oh, and try not to use deoderant at all. It's just a bunch
of chemicals you don't need. Your body will adjust in a very short time. The smell comes from
bacteria in clothes and underarm. Wear clean clothes and wash / shower regularly and you won't
smell....unless of course you suffer from those heady anxiety sweats that I used to occassionally
when I was in the rat race ;-)... HTH, Dave. - positive action!!

In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the
keyboard of [email protected] (Simon Mason) wrote:

> Have a shower and put on anti-perspirant before you go to work.

Ugh. Anti-perspirant just makes it stink.

Sweat doesn't always pong. It gets a whiff when allowed to go stale - particularly on a shirt that's
stiff enough to wear a tie with. Nasty chemical cocktails like anti-perspirant cause it to whiff. So
does urban grime, though that may be more down to what the stress of the city causes the body to
generate in its sweat.

I don't let cycling worry me too much. Not even in rehearsals for our recent operatic production,
when I got to spend quite a lot of time surrounded by some very attractive young ladies:)

Any experts out there? Why does healthy-exercise sweat not smell in the manner of stressful-shopping
or stuffy-office sweat?

> We have showers at work, but I never need to use them except on days I when get totally drenched.

Drenched as in rain or sweat?

--
Axis of Evil: Whose economy needs ever more wars? Arms Exports $bn: USA 14.2, UK 5.1, vs France 1.5,
Germany 0.8 (The Economist, July 2002)

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 23:27:55 +0100, "John Mallard" <john_mallard@the_bike_lineone.net> wrote:

<snip how to to smell at work>

>Of course none of this is any help at all if the previous evening was spent consuming copious
>quantities of beer and curry.

Or if you fall in a canal on the way.

Tim
--
In space no one can eat ice cream

[email protected] (Nick Kew) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the
> keyboard of [email protected] (Simon Mason) wrote:
>
> > Have a shower and put on anti-perspirant before you go to work.
>
> Ugh. Anti-perspirant just makes it stink.

Without it you might end up with Tony Blair blue shirt syndrome.

> > We have showers at work, but I never need to use them except on days I when get totally
> > drenched.
>
> Drenched as in rain or sweat?

With rain. I shower then because I'm usually also covered in mud and grime from the passing
HGVs. Simon

"Tim Hall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 23:27:55 +0100, "John Mallard" <john_mallard@the_bike_lineone.net> wrote:
>

> <snip how to to smell at work>
> >
> >Of course none of this is any help at all if the previous evening was
spent
> >consuming copious quantities of beer and curry.
>

> Or if you fall in a canal on the way.

Thanks Tim, but too late to bear this in mind.

--
Cheerful pedalling John Mallard take out the_bike_ to reply

In article <[email protected]>, "Lee"
<gnippernospampleasemuchly@nospampleasemuchlyverymuch.btinternet.com> wrote:

> remember sweat doesnt smell, dry sweat smells so as long as you rub yourself down you will
> be fine!

Yes, I find, so long as I have a shower before riding, and a change of clothes at work, I'm
fine. No smell.

My office has air-con though. That probably helps.

In article <[email protected]>,
"John Mallard" <john_mallard@the_bike_lineone.net> wrote:

> Back packs are not a good idea.

Agreed, completly negates my breathable shirt collection. I'm getting panniers at my next service.