possible purchase need advise

jasonball

May 11, 2010
so I have taken the advice from my first thread and have decided to purchase a complete bike instead of building one.

I have found one on criags list. so here is the listing and some pics if yall would be so kind to give me your advice.

He said he will take 350 for it.

Blue street bike manufactured by TREK in the design of the discoverychannel team. It has some sratches but is mechanically in a perfect condition. The bike has a 28" wheel size, i believe. The bike fits a tall person, (i'm about 6.2) but can also be ridden by a smaller person. The saddle pole is fully extended right now. It is equipped with a 24 gear and break system by SHIMANO called TIAGRA (break handels are used to shift gears as well). Breaks work very well, which is important if you ride around Atlanta, believe me. I sell this bike only because I am graduationg from school, if I could I would take this bike back home. The bike comes with some accessories. A black helmet, an air pump that allows you to pressure the tires correctly (pressure gauge), an unused insulated bottle and holder, two big U-locks and a steel cable, + some minor stuff. So it is everything you will need.
For more pictures or questions send me a mail.

rear.jpg

post.jpg

HNDL.jpg

crank.jpg

tire.jpg

I dunno, it looks pretty beat up, plus the parts spec leaves a bit to be desired. Still, if it's in your price range, take it for a ride and see how it goes. Trek makes a decent bike, no doubt. Still, if you save up a bit more you'd be better off spending a little more money. Just my 2 cents...

it does look pretty beat up. that is why I'm not sure if the bike is worth the 1.5 hour drive to get it. hopfully a few more will reply. but I do appriciate the info

" Can be ridden by a smaller person"? Sure as long as that smaller person is tall.
Not sure what the frame size is so I would be careful getting a bike that is ill fitted.
Also looks like the stem is turned upside down. Personal preference I guess.
I agree it doesn't have the best stuff on it. As far as a few sratches, they won't hurt performance as long as there are no frame cracks or warping.
You should be sure the frame is within the size range you need.

jhuskey said:
" Can be ridden by a smaller person"? Sure as long as that smaller person is tall.
Not sure what the frame size is so I would be careful getting a bike that is ill fitted.
Also looks like the stem is turned upside down. Personal preference I guess.
I agree it doesn't have the best stuff on it. As far as a few sratches, they won't hurt performance as long as there are no frame cracks or warping.
You should be sure the frame is within the size range you need.

I figured if they guy was 6'2. i would be good. I'm 6'3.

I'm curious as to why all the scratches and damage to a road bike

jasonball said:
I figured if they guy was 6'2. i would be good. I'm 6'3.

I'm curious as to why all the scratches and damage to a road bike

Sounds like the frame may be ok but I would still ask the size before making the trip.It shouldn't be a big deal to measure the top tube.
Bikes can get scratched up for many reason besides crashes such as they way they are stored.
Good luck!

jasonball said:
the bike is a 58cm

58-64 cm frames are generally considered in the range for your height.
That's the simplified answer so I am saying there is good chance you can make adjustments to make this bike work for you.

jasonball said:
so I have taken the advice from my first thread and have decided to purchase a complete bike instead of building one.

I have found one on criags list. so here is the listing and some pics if yall would be so kind to give me your advice.

He said he will take 350 for it.

Blue street bike manufactured by TREK in the design of the discoverychannel team. It has some sratches but is mechanically in a perfect condition. The bike has a 28" wheel size, i believe. The bike fits a tall person, (i'm about 6.2) but can also be ridden by a smaller person. The saddle pole is fully extended right now. It is equipped with a 24 gear and break system by SHIMANO called TIAGRA (break handels are used to shift gears as well). Breaks work very well, which is important if you ride around Atlanta, believe me. I sell this bike only because I am graduationg from school, if I could I would take this bike back home. The bike comes with some accessories. A black helmet, an air pump that allows you to pressure the tires correctly (pressure gauge), an unused insulated bottle and holder, two big U-locks and a steel cable, + some minor stuff. So it is everything you will need.
For more pictures or questions send me a mail.
You can probably do better ...

BUT, not because of the condition (which does, indeed, look a little rough in some places ... but, that could occur from simply leaning the bike too casually against the wrong surfaces) but because it is too small a frame for you ...

That is a 'small' 58cm frame UNLESS the measurement is to the top of the seat tube.

You do indeed want a frame whose top tube length is in the 58cm-to-60cm range ... and, that frame is closer 56cm frame in traditional terms ... so, I reckon the top tube is only either 56cm or 57cm (I could be wrong -- ask the seller for clarification as to the top tube length, center-to-center) ... that is, it can be ridden by a smaller person because it is the frame size which a person between 5'9" & 6'0" would possibly choose.

BTW. If you are desperate for THAT bike + miscellaneous stuff, then maybe $250 would be fair (for you) because I reckon that bike has seen 6,000-to-12,000 miles of use ... which is to say the chainrings, cassette & chain probably should have been changed, already ... plus the shifters may need replacing at any time in the next month, next year, many years from now, or not until a decade from now. ASK HIM TO ESTIMATE HOW MANY MILES THE BIKE HAS SEEN.

so I expressed my concern on the measurements. aboutt he size.

here was his reply.

I am 190 cm (6'2 to 6'3) myself and the bike is perfect for me. It is a 58 cm frame which means it is 58 cm from the center of the crank to the end of the frame where the saddlepost emerges. From there it is probably anoter 25 cm until the top of the saddle..

I think that sounds good. think Im going to do it. leave tommorrow after work. so any more info before I buy my first road bike.